Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Origins on backerkit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    So, I was skimming through it (probably won't have the time to properly read it till next weekend sadly) and while I love the altered Character Creation rules and whatever bits I did read, I noticed that there's a God list at the end with all the Gods and their Callings & Purviews.... so looks like Dionysus finally got Liminal, and Brahma and Xi Wang Mu are both Gods now !!!

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Samudra View Post
      So, I was skimming through it (probably won't have the time to properly read it till next weekend sadly) and while I love the altered Character Creation rules and whatever bits I did read, I noticed that there's a God list at the end with all the Gods and their Callings & Purviews.... so looks like Dionysus finally got Liminal, and Brahma and Xi Wang Mu are both Gods now !!!
      Well, divine parents, but still.

      On a similar note, Goibniu and Kali are also listed.


      Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

      Comment


      • #18
        I was reading over the book this morning and was wondering where in the book they talk about the different types of Scions there could be. I remember there being ways a Scion could exist without directly being of their parent's blood. Like Adoption, Mantles, Relics, etc.

        I do see the supernatural path of Saint, but I don't think that is what I am looking for.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Bioagent View Post
          I was reading over the book this morning and was wondering where in the book they talk about the different types of Scions there could be. I remember there being ways a Scion could exist without directly being of their parent's blood. Like Adoption, Mantles, Relics, etc.

          I do see the supernatural path of Saint, but I don't think that is what I am looking for.
          The different Origins are coming in Hero.

          Comment


          • #20
            I've been going through it and it seems that The Seer was taken out..and maybe Sorcerer as Supernatural Paths...
            It even mentions Oracles in the Supernatural Path intro...
            Last edited by Mental-Mouse; 01-27-2018, 01:00 PM.


            Comment


            • #21
              Thanks Samudra that is what I thought. Do we have a tentative ETA on Hero?

              Comment


              • #22
                On backerkit it says soon.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Live reaction:

                  - I'm at page 22 and so far, the chapter does an amazing just of not just explaining, but also conveying how the Divine influences every aspect of the World and how mortals seek to emulate the Gods in order to ride their Legend to something greater. A lot of fictional settings focus on how the Gods treat mortals like cattle -- which isn't necessarily wrong, but I've seen a lot of people get tunnel vision on it at the expense of small things like good worldbuilding and characterization -- so this is something that's unique to Scion for me. I'm also really happy to see it because the idea of Gods and heroes as something mortals aspire too is something I've thought about a few times recently, but not in the context of Scion.

                  - The lexicon of different "cults" or whatever you want to call them is very... evocative? It's interesting to know how different people and groups relate to the Gods.

                  - I like how dismissive the World is of nitpicking over divergences and plotholes. The premise is that the World is like the world we know, but all myths are real, and players need to accept it and run with it.

                  - Hey, there's the rule on learning languages! Always relevant when you're expected to travel the world and hang out with people from different cultures.

                  - Is there a meaningful difference between Complicated Stunts and Difficult Stunts? I can kind of see it if I squint a little, but it doesn't seem that big?

                  - Giving players the ability to make alterations to a scene based on what the Storyteller gives them is a good idea, but I'm not sure extending that to player's actions is appropriate. If the player are expected to investigate the supernatural problems of the World, I think it's important to encourage preparation before an encounter. Could just be a matter of personal preference though.

                  - Are all the Gods' Callings listed somewhere, since we need to know them to pick a pre-Visitation Scion's Calling? I guess I'll find out eventually.

                  - Heroic Knacks are (apparently) in Origin. That's cool for the preview.

                  - The section on Contacts, invocation and their dots is a little confusing and I'd rather move on with the text than try to parse it out at the moment. I may come back to it later.

                  - Some of the Paths list a Command skill, but I think it should be Leadership? And was there an Enigmas skill? I can't remember.

                  - Mandatory Highlander reference is mandatory.

                  - The mortal Knacks are surprisingly good. What do Hero-tier Knacks look like?

                  - And another language ability.

                  - Seriously though, these are hella practical, even if they're not necessarily powerful. I really want to know how Hero Knacks compete.

                  - Skipping combat. It can't be that important, can it?

                  - Storyguiding... maybe important?

                  - The advice on how to craft stories with mythical motifs is useful.

                  - Does the Virtue track change every single time you do something that represents one Virtue and not the other? Because that seems very swingy.

                  - And there's the list of Callings and Purviews.


                  [Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
                  [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
                  [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Bioagent View Post
                    I was reading over the book this morning and was wondering where in the book they talk about the different types of Scions there could be. I remember there being ways a Scion could exist without directly being of their parent's blood. Like Adoption, Mantles, Relics, etc.

                    I do see the supernatural path of Saint, but I don't think that is what I am looking for.
                    I was looking for that too. I think it's been incorporated into the Origin Path options, where the examples include things like Chosen and Created.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Is there a character sheet somewhere to be able to try the character creation process from this pdf? I mean it's hard to visualize without one

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I just started reading, and I definitely like how they keep plenty of metaphorical doors wide open to use later.


                        How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
                        -Zhuangzi

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Hm, I admit on the Knacks I'm a bit curious.

                          Earlier it says that Knacks require Momentum, but some of the Knacks seem to imply they're always active, if conditional. And there's a couple that seem to be designed on the assumption that they don't cost Momentum, such as "Born to be Kings", which says "The first time each scene the Scion would add one Momentum to the Black Pool, they add 2 instead". Because in the case of "All Knacks Cost Momentum", then Born to be Kings is literally useless. Like, you spend a Momentum to activate it, and the first time you would add Momentum you add 2... But you've already spent one momentum to activate the Knack so you've added a net 1 Momentum to the pool which you would have done without the Knack.

                          Is this a case where SOME Knacks require Momentum and will tell you if they do? Or were some of these written before the "All Knacks Cost Momentum" rule and need to be reconsidered?


                          Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
                            - The section on Contacts, invocation and their dots is a little confusing and I'd rather move on with the text than try to parse it out at the moment. I may come back to it later.
                            Yeah, I was trying to make a character, and that bit was a real puzzler. It seems like every time you invoke a specific contact, they get more dots and more tags, but I'm not sure whether that's right and, if it is, if that persists between sessions. It makes it seem like a game would end up with a list of five-dot contacts who all end up somewhat similar unless you invent new tags pretty often, if so.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Really loved the text so far, but I did have a couple of questions:

                              Several places mention the dots assigned to your calling improving their associated knacks, but there is no mention of raising the level of your calling in character advancement. What is the max it can be raised to, and how do you do it? Is it the same cost as a skill?

                              The other thing i noticed is the character creation rules state that skills cannot be repeated in your starting paths more than twice, but the starting example of Little Mao has Culture in all 3 paths. Is this intentional?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                                Hm, I admit on the Knacks I'm a bit curious.

                                Earlier it says that Knacks require Momentum, but some of the Knacks seem to imply they're always active, if conditional. And there's a couple that seem to be designed on the assumption that they don't cost Momentum, such as "Born to be Kings", which says "The first time each scene the Scion would add one Momentum to the Black Pool, they add 2 instead". Because in the case of "All Knacks Cost Momentum", then Born to be Kings is literally useless. Like, you spend a Momentum to activate it, and the first time you would add Momentum you add 2... But you've already spent one momentum to activate the Knack so you've added a net 1 Momentum to the pool which you would have done without the Knack.

                                Is this a case where SOME Knacks require Momentum and will tell you if they do? Or were some of these written before the "All Knacks Cost Momentum" rule and need to be reconsidered?
                                Not all Knacks require Momentum. Only a few do. I'll mark that as a text clarification.


                                Neall Raemonn Price
                                Beleaguered Scion Developer

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X