• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone else realize Emanuel Montero name means "God With Us?"

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
      Did anyone else realize Emanuel Montero name means "God With Us?"
      Fate is very unsubtle.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I'm still not happy with the execution of Specialties, since they don't really help you succeed on the applicable rolls.

I mean, they COULD if you turn around and use the Momentum on them. But since

a.) Momentum is a shared pool among players, and

b.) Momentum is skill-agnostic

You declaring that your character has a specialty in seduction doesn't necessarily mean that you're any better than someone who doesn't. Someone's going to have a good time with the bonus momentum from your failure, but it isn't necessarily going to be you. Your repeated failures at flirting could eventually turn out in your favor...or it could translate to a devastating left hook for your buddy when a bar fight breaks out.

And maybe it sounds a littler selfish to be phrasing it like that. And maybe it's a little old-fashioned of me focusing on how it's been handled in previous iterations, but it really, really bothers me that this is how Storypath handles specialties. Traditionally it's been saying "This is a focus of mine. This is what I'm good at." Here? Not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mockery View Post
          And maybe it sounds a littler selfish to be phrasing it like that. And maybe it's a little old-fashioned of me focusing on how it's been handled in previous iterations, but it really, really bothers me that this is how Storypath handles specialties. Traditionally it's been saying "This is a focus of mine. This is what I'm good at." Here? Not so much.
          Well there IS a circumstance where it gives you a bonus. When the topic comes up in another skill.

The example given on page 105:

For every Skill that ends up with three or more dots, choose a Specialty (p. XX). Specialties are only free during character creation. A Specialty is narrowly focused expertise within a Skill. For example, Firearms grants skill with all ranged weapons that use gunpowder, but a character may have a Specialty in Pistols. Once a character has a Specialty, she may apply that expertise as a 1-point Enhancement to other, related Skills, such as convincing a group of soldiers to buy pistols from Fenris Arms. Additionally, if she fails a roll in an Ability in which she has a Specialty (such as missing a character with a Firearms action) she gains an additional point of Momentum.
          An example I can think of that is like... Having a Survival Specialty in "Identifying Herbs" coming up in a Medicine roll because "Oh, we're in a forest, oh hey, this is an herb that can sterilize wounds"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
            Well there IS a circumstance where it gives you a bonus. When the topic comes up in another skill.

The example given on page 105:

An example I can think of that is like... Having a Survival Specialty in "Identifying Herbs" coming up in a Medicine roll because "Oh, we're in a forest, oh hey, this is an herb that can sterilize wounds"
            Or with the seduction specialty mentioned, assuming it's for persuasion, a bonus on subterfuge because you're flirting, or Leadership because they want to impress you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Okay, complaint not entirely withdrawn, but...notably mitigated, I suppose?

Comment

Yeah, the 1e bonus to other Skills is a really nice bonus to me. I like it because it encourages using more varied dice-pools, and synergy between Skills. I don't have to worry about making sure I have a relevant specialty in every Skill so my sword making character knows basic metallurgy, and the history of blades, and how much to price a sword. I know that having that specialty gets me that enhancement even if I'm not rolling the Skill I got it from.

I mean, what are the odds of a character that wants to be a master pistol duelist already having such good stats that another 1e from a specialty for shooting people is going to be that big of a difference? Or +1 die? Or whatever small bonus you'd get?

Comment

Originally posted by Mockery View Post

Okay, complaint not entirely withdrawn, but...notably mitigated, I suppose?
                  I do get what you mean. I found it different as well, but I'm willing to give it a try to see how it feels before making any real conclusions about it.

I totally get a reaction of "... Well, that's different."

Comment

Yeah, I was definitely in the same initial boat about Specialties, but after thinking about it, I actually really like the way Scion does it and honestly, I'll probably be stealing it for other games/systems, stitching it onto whatever existing Specialty system the game in question has.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                      Yeah, the 1e bonus to other Skills is a really nice bonus to me. I like it because it encourages using more varied dice-pools, and synergy between Skills. I don't have to worry about making sure I have a relevant specialty in every Skill so my sword making character knows basic metallurgy, and the history of blades, and how much to price a sword. I know that having that specialty gets me that enhancement even if I'm not rolling the Skill I got it from.

I mean, what are the odds of a character that wants to be a master pistol duelist already having such good stats that another 1e from a specialty for shooting people is going to be that big of a difference? Or +1 die? Or whatever small bonus you'd get?
                      Also, kudos to you for making a connection that I somehow missed. A Close Combat specialty in Swords, and you get 1E on the Culture check to go "Guys, this is no ordinary sword. That's the Honjo Masamune" and realize that the Kami would be forever grateful if you return it to them.

Comment

• Can't take too much credit there. The popularity of the Interdisciplinary Specialty Merit from the CofD games in my group has this as an essentially standard component of a lot of characters (why pay for a dozen specialties when you can buy a Merit the same price as one, and have an existing Specialty apply to every Skill?). Storypath just goes ahead and makes it the default bonus instead of one you buy.

Comment

• Also in terms of the momentum bonus, this is a world where fate is alive, more powerful than the gods, and operates on the rule of drama. A swordsman missing every attack against a tough foe before landing a solid one is dramatic, but just as dramatic is the swordsman being held off until the scholar that can barely shoot straight lands a lucky shot through his eye, or the target is escaping and you having plenty of bonus dice for the high speed chase.

A lot of stuff in this system makes more sense if you remember the universe literally runs on dramatic tropes.

Comment

• Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post
                            Also in terms of the momentum bonus, this is a world where fate is alive, more powerful than the gods, and operates on the rule of drama. A swordsman missing every attack against a tough foe before landing a solid one is dramatic, but just as dramatic is the swordsman being held off until the scholar that can barely shoot straight lands a lucky shot through his eye, or the target is escaping and you having plenty of bonus dice for the high speed chase.

A lot of stuff in this system makes more sense if you remember the universe literally runs on dramatic tropes.
                            I'm reminded of Rocky IV when Rocky, against all odds, cuts Drago.

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

• Dumb question...but which tier was the minimum that got the preview?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cosmic Mind View Post
                                Dumb question...but which tier was the minimum that got the preview?
                                Should be anyone who’s getting the pdf. If that includes you, check the available downloads on your backerkit account.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                                X