Origins on backerkit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vonpenguin View Post

I found the setting to be fairly fleshed out in how the supernatural interacts with the mundane. I'd say most of the more vague pieces are there to allow more wiggle room for gms to decide what myths are most prevalent in which areas, and what exactly the local supernatural comuniteis are like. The gm section also talks abound keeping most of the supernatural stuff behind the curtain for now, something in the corner of your eye, a gut feeling. So really, knowing that Abrahamic religions still had almost as much influence as they did on our Earth and the governements have a few semi-classified ways to deal with it while normal folks still throw salt over their shoulders is probably enough until they start to interact with the mythic more casually.
    If that is the way it works, with more of the weirdness being in the hero book, okay. I worry I am not communicating properly. Please forgive me if I am doing so, or if I am repeating myself out of the fear of doing so. Text can be imprecise.

I will speak in generalities. I still don't know if the typical American family goes to the temple of the Tuatha, or a grove for the kami, or to temple, or church on Sunday, these are the things that I am talking about. How the world looks different. Not about Men in Black stealing Scions and dissecting them. I mean, how the world is different in the mundane. The little quirky details that can catch a player's attention and get them invested in the concept.

Again, I found the book well organized, smooth, and the crunch looks tighter-- though we haven't had the Hero level stuff yet. I am not trying to pee in cheerios or ruin anyone's fun. It's really cool what I have seen so far. I just think they might sell more books, and while it is fine if us older folks understand it (Been gaming since i was 11, I'm in my 40s now), but I think they would sell more books if they put a little more info out on the setting in the first 50 pages.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mister Lion View Post

If that is the way it works, with more of the weirdness being in the hero book, okay. I worry I am not communicating properly. Please forgive me if I am doing so, or if I am repeating myself out of the fear of doing so. Text can be imprecise.

I will speak in generalities. I still don't know if the typical American family goes to the temple of the Tuatha, or a grove for the kami, or to temple, or church on Sunday, these are the things that I am talking about. How the world looks different. Not about Men in Black stealing Scions and dissecting them. I mean, how the world is different in the mundane. The little quirky details that can catch a player's attention and get them invested in the concept.

Again, I found the book well organized, smooth, and the crunch looks tighter-- though we haven't had the Hero level stuff yet. I am not trying to pee in cheerios or ruin anyone's fun. It's really cool what I have seen so far. I just think they might sell more books, and while it is fine if us older folks understand it (Been gaming since i was 11, I'm in my 40s now), but I think they would sell more books if they put a little more info out on the setting in the first 50 pages.
      The book does note that Families go to church right next to a temple of the Aesir, which is smaller because of much smaller congregation. But in general most "pagan" worship is private among families, prayer groups, or even just social gatherings where they say what sounds like a silly prayer to a deity. Understandable if you missed it, I think it was buried in with a bunch of other stuff and the lack of layout does blur some stuff. It seems like people that follow the old gods are thought of by the population at larger the way people see any non-mainstream religious movement, a little odd and quirky, but as long as the guys worshiping the teotl don't start drowning kids for teloc it's live and let live unless your a fundementalist wacko.

Or I hallucinated that.

Comment

More people in the West follow the same major monotheistic (or at least in he Word, intensely Henotheistic) faiths. Active organized polytheistic worship are minority faiths, but unlike in our world, the European, Egyptian, and Aztec varieties have existed continuously rather than being reconstructed.

Many people who make small sacrifices to Aesir or Teotl when called for may also go to Church on Sundays and don’t feel there’s much of a contradiction there.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I noticed in a lot of the Pantheon previews from the Kickstarters, they included sections about the religion pertaining to the Pantheon. Maybe in the Heroes book it'll have more of those "And these are the festivals of the Aesir-"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• The lack of in text descriptions of the attributes is driving one of my players up the wall, and I sort of agree with them. I usually happen to have about three CofD books open at the same time I run Scion just because they're leftovers from my playing in another game earlier in the week, so in theory if I wanted to go read a description of just what in the World...Cunning is, I really can just tab over in my pdf reader and read the Wits description in a different book. That should not be the standard for an RPG that stands on its own, and Origins is the core rules of Storypath for the whole Scion line. We, as a relatively long experienced group, don't need those descriptions but the lack of them seems like they'd be really shitty for someone who is just picking this book up as the first OPP product they've ever read. Or first RPG for that matter

Each skill got a nice long descriptor and list of what 1, 3, and 5 dots means in the grand scheme of 'how good is this really?' but unless I'm missing a page of text somewhere, they aren't in Origins for the attributes.

Comment

• Thats actually a really great point and a massive oversight or ommision. We 100% need a attribute description section in the origins book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yig1015w View Post
                Thats actually a really great point and a massive oversight or ommision. We 100% need a attribute description section in the origins book.
                I'll third this motion. That IS a pretty big oversight.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

• I can't really understand the difference between Primordial and titans and also why not every Pantheon Preview has a Primordial :/ ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickedgrail View Post
                    I can't really understand the difference between Primordial and titans and also why not every Pantheon Preview has a Primordial :/ ?
                    Some of the pantheon previews were from earlier drafts

Comment

I can't really understand the difference between Primordial and titans and also why not every Pantheon Preview has a Primordial :/ ?

Primordials are vast cosmic beings and do not manifest in the World.

Titans are their shadow cast on the World instead. They are more dominated by a single Purview than Gods (who are closer tied to humanity), but also narrower in nature than full Primordials. This makes them potentially very dangerous as they carry out their specific aspect of their Purviews' affect on the world.

Let me put in this way...

A God of fire is just a divine being who has dominion over fire, but has relatively human judgment (on a much longer time scale) and upholds their Pantheon's Virtues.

A Primordial of fire encompasses all the positive and negative aspect of fire in balance

A Titan of fire, unlike a Primordial, can manifest in the World and encompasses only a specific aspect of fire, like it's destructive consumption (Surtr), with no balance from its other aspects. Another Titan of fire may be driven to nurture life and preserve it from entropy without any temperance.

Comment

• As an aside, I'm so happy I finally get that - when we first started getting teasers I was confused as to how Primordials were vaster and further removed from the world than Titans, but at the same time seemed more humane and less alien. I now get that it's just that they're in-balance while Titans are "smaller" in that they represent specific extremities of the concept the Primordial encompasses all of.

Comment

One way to look at it is through their interactions with the World... Gods primarily look upon and interact with the World through the lens of their Callings, Titans primarily look upon and interact with the World through their Purviews, and Primordials rarely if ever interact with the World at all.

Agni is just as much an embodiment of Fire as Surtr is, but When Agni walks within the World, he is the Flame of Knowledge, the Warding Fires and the Sacrificial Conduit. When Surtr looks upon the World, he sees a nice bunch of kindling. The Primordial Svarog, doesn't do much interacting with the World at all once he built it, and indeed his next interaction is likely to be when he sweeps the whole thing aside and just builds it again.

Of course since not all manifestations of a Purview are antagonistic to Humanity, you have Titans like Ao Kuang who just want to do their jobs, and since not all expressions of Callings are necessarily positive, you can have very antagonistic Gods (consider Shukra of the Devas, who explicitly mentors Titanspawn). Primordials also don't necessarily have to be on a raised power level from Gods, since Brahma is pretty explicitly the equal of Vishnu and Shiva, and I'm pretty certain Zeus could probably take on the Salmon of Wisdom.

Comment

• Um I guess it's clearer. What about the Dodekatheon? Who's the Primordial if Gaïa is a Titan?

Comment

Um I guess it's clearer. What about the Dodekatheon? Who's the Primordial if Gaïa is a Titan?
                              For the Theoi, the Primordials are likely all the Protogenoi (which you can see here), which pretty much just means 'Primordial.' I don't remember Gaia being mentioned as Titan, she's sort of a perfect example of a Primordial from what I understand, but I can't for the life of me track down the Theoi preview to go double check.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watcher View Post

For the Theoi, the Primordials are likely all the Protogenoi (which you can see here), which pretty much just means 'Primordial.' I don't remember Gaia being mentioned as Titan, she's sort of a perfect example of a Primordial from what I understand, but I can't for the life of me track down the Theoi preview to go double check.

if Gaea is not a Titan, what is then?

Comment

Working...
                                X