Which members do the Kami have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which members do the Kami have?

I just made a similar topic for the Manitou, and while they're much easier to research, I'm curious who was selected to be a core member of the Kami. I'd particularly like to know whether Raijin and Fujin were gods or Titans.

Neither are listed with the Kami in the pdf we have. We don't have confirmation as to whether they're Titans or not.

For other details, none of the potential Japanese Buddhist figures like Jizo or Marishiten are present. Izanagi and Izanami aren't there either. Each of the 7 Lucky Gods, however, does have an individual entry. Tenjin and Ryujin are the most notable omissions, and IMO are the most likely for the Companion.
    Last edited by Center-of-All; 01-29-2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
      I just made a similar topic for the Manitou, and while they're much easier to research, I'm curious who was selected to be a core member of the Kami.
      The lineup is:

Amaterasu, Amatsukami of the Sun and Ruler of Heaven

Tsukiyomi, Amatsukami of the Moon

Susano-Wo, Amatsukami of the Sea, Death, and Storms

Hachiman, Amatsukami of Warriors, Archery, and Culture

Inari, Kunitsukami of Rice, Fertility, Foxes

Ama-no-Izume, Amatsukami of Dawn, Revelry, and Mirth, and wife of Sarutahiko

Sarutahiko, Kunitsukami of Martial Arts, Monkeys, King of the Earthly Kami, and husband of Ama-no-Izume

Takemikazuchi, Amatsukami of Thunder, Swords, and Sumo

Ebisu, Fortune of Luck and Fishing

Okuninushi, former Kunitsukami and Fortune of Heroes, Magic, and Wealth, and Lord of Izumo, the Fortress Guarding the Underworld

Bishamon, Fortune of War, Warriors, and Punisher of Evildoers

Benten, Fortune of Talent and Eloquence

Fukurokuju, Fortune of Longevity and Wisdom

Kisshoten, Fortune of Beauty and Mercy

Hotei, Fortune of Joy, Contentment, and Guardian of Children

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Not the lineup I would have expected. Interesting though.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

The lineup is:

Amaterasu, Amatsukami of the Sun and Ruler of Heaven

Tsukiyomi, Amatsukami of the Moon

Susano-Wo, Amatsukami of the Sea, Death, and Storms

Hachiman, Amatsukami of Warriors, Archery, and Culture

Inari, Kunitsukami of Rice, Fertility, Foxes

Ama-no-Izume, Amatsukami of Dawn, Revelry, and Mirth, and wife of Sarutahiko

Sarutahiko, Kunitsukami of Martial Arts, Monkeys, King of the Earthly Kami, and husband of Ama-no-Izume

Ebisu, Fortune of Luck and Fishing

Okuninushi, former Kunitsukami and Fortune of Heroes, Magic, and Wealth, and Lord of Izumo, the Fortress Guarding the Underworld

Bishamon, Fortune of War, Warriors, and Punisher of Evildoers

Benten, Fortune of Talent and Eloquence

Fukurokuju, Fortune of Longevity and Wisdom

Kisshoten, Fortune of Beauty and Mercy

Hotei, Fortune of Joy, Contentment, and Guardian of Children
          Thank you Marin

Comment

I guess Daikoku isn't around since he's being treated as a Mantle of Shiva? Though I find it a little weird that he's not included but Benten and Kisshoten who are also arguably Mantles of Deva are included.

Comment

Daikoku is Okuninushi.

Comment

Originally posted by Center-of-All View Post
                Daikoku is Okuninushi.

I wish they'd made the Daikoku Mantle primary, and had Okuninushi as who he was before being overthrown by Ninigi, and then adopting Buddhism.

That said, focusing the Okuninushi myths was an elegant way not to avoid what would have likely be some heavy redundancy with other Lucky Gods otherwise! Just as using Kisshoten instead of Jurojin avoids Jurojin's huge overlap with Fukurokuju.
                Last edited by glamourweaver; 01-30-2018, 03:35 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Anyone taking bets on Oyamatsumi and Konahanasakuya-hime for the Companion?

Comment

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
                    I just made a similar topic for the Manitou, and while they're much easier to research, I'm curious who was selected to be a core member of the Kami. I'd particularly like to know whether Raijin and Fujin were gods or Titans.

My guess right now on Raijin and Fujin is that that whatever their origins, they're at the Demigod Legend range. They show up blowing around and making lightning and thunder in individual storms, but they're not on Susano-o's power level over storms in the abstract.

I cannot express how happy I am that Inari is a core god this time! Given that s/he's the most widely worshiped god in the Japan, and has been since the Edo period, s/he deserved to be on the top-billing list! (I think I recall asking Neall and him answering that Inari shifts between male and female preferred pronouns depending on his or her form, unlike Loki who remains "they/them" in English regardless of their form).
                    Last edited by glamourweaver; 01-30-2018, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Eh, I think it'll be more likely that we get Ryujin and Tenjin before either of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Center-of-All View Post

Eh, I think it'll be more likely that we get Ryujin and Tenjin before either of those.

Remains to be seen whether Ryujin and Ao Guang are actually the same relatively non-hostile (unless you fuck with his shit... NEZHA!) Sea Titan.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
                          And I will play his son, who aspires to be the God of Strong-Style.

I like this list. My main quibble with the original Kami line up from 1st ed was that it seemed kind of small compared to some of the others. I can see a lot of potential character concepts and ideas here, especially for something like an all-Kami Scion chronicle done in a manga/anime influenced style.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                            I'm hoping Izanagi as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmic Mind View Post

I'm hoping Izanagi as well.

I'm guessing he's a Primordial this time around (Izanami under this theory would be a Primordial who has fallen to become a Titan in her death).

Comment

Working...
                              X