Aesir Membership

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aesir Membership

I already have a fairly good idea of which ones are likely, but which Aesir were selected?

Take the 1e core roster, drop Vidar, and toss in Njord and Skadi. Yeah, that last one threw me, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Scion: Origins View Post
      Æsir
      The Norse Gods
      Asset Skills: Close Combat, Occult
      Principal Members

Odin, God of Wisdom, the Dead, and Magic
      Callings: Leader, Sage, Trickster
      Purviews: Artistry (Poetry), Death, Deception, Epic Stamina, Fortune, Journeys, War

Thor, God of Thunder, Rain, and Crops
      Callings: Guardian, Leader, Warrior
      Purviews: Epic Stamina, Epic Strength, Fertility, Sky

Frigg, Goddess of Marriage and Destiny
      Callings: Guardian, Lover, Sage
      Purviews: Fortune, Order

Hel, Goddess of the Realm of the Dead
      Callings: Guardian, Judge, Liminal
      Purviews: Death, Forge, Frost, Health, Passion (Fear, Disgust)

Baldr, God of Love, Beauty, Peace
      Callings: Guardian, Liminal, Warrior
      Purviews: Epic Stamina, Health, Passion (Love, War), Sun

Heimdall, God of Light and Dawn, Perception, Sacrifice
      Callings: Guardian, Hunter, Warrior
      Purviews: Artistry (Horns), Epic Stamina, Passion (Vigil)

Loki, God of Trickery and Fire
      Callings: Liminal, Lover, Trickster
      Purviews: Chaos, Deception, Epic Strength, Fire

Sif, Goddess of the Harvest
      Callings: Creator, Judge, Lover
      Purviews: Earth, Fertility, Order, Passion (Peace)

Tyr, God of Justice and Courage
      Callings: Judge, Leader, Warrior
      Purviews: Epic Stamina, Order, Passion (Courage), War

Freyja, Goddess of War, Magic, and Love
      Callings: Guardian, Lover, Sage, Warrior
      Purviews: Death, Epic Stamina, Fertility, Fortune, Passion (Love, Lust), Prosperity, War

Freyr, God of Fertility and Prosperity
      Callings: Lover, Warrior, Leader
      Purviews: Fertility, Order, War

Skadi, Goddess of Winter
      Callings: Hunter, Judge, Warrior
      Purviews: Earth, Epic Dexterity, Frost, Journeys, Order

Njord, God of the Sea and the Winds
      Callings: Creator, Hunter, Leader
      Purviews: Fertility, Fire, Journeys, Prosperity, Sky, Water
      Quoth the raven, gods galore.

Comment

Originally posted by Center-of-All View Post
        Take the 1e core roster, drop Vidar, and toss in Njord and Skadi. Yeah, that last one threw me, too.
        It's not so suprising. The Aesir suffer from a SEVERE shortage of myths featuring the female gods. If OP wants decent opportunities for female representation in the Aesir, they kind of have to use Skadi as she's one of the very few female figures in Norse myth to have a significant role in a story.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
        Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

I'm happy to have Skadi, honestly. While she was only an Aesir by marriage in the myth and technically a giantess, she was a powerful being who was not only as powerful as the gods but actively allied with them. Leaving her out on a technicality wouldn't really have been fair. Loki was a giant too, after all.

Comment

Skiing goddess of winter and the hunt. Seems a great inclusion to me.

I mean yeah she a Giant by birth, but so is Loki, and the whole Pantheon is a hodge-lodge of mixed tribal bloodlines - the alternative is Olympian-level incest!

It’s also a nice fuck-you to “Odinist” Neo-Nazis, that the pantheon they claim would find the concept of racial purity absurdist!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I'm not saying she's a poor inclusion or anything, or that she doesn't fit, I just figured that with space limited the way it is, that Vidar or Ullr would get a spot ahead of her.

Comment

I'm not saying she's a poor inclusion or anything, or that she doesn't fit, I just figured that with space limited the way it is, that Vidar or Ullr would get a spot ahead of her.

I think they wanted another goddess. Assuming these 13 are the ones in the Hero core, there's room for Vidar, Ullr, &/or Bragi in the Companion. Ullr's relatively minor, generally noted only for his status as Thor's step-son; and Vidar I think makes sense to hold back since that's his nature... to wait... silently... until you least expe-

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring for the moment. Those 3, and maybe Idun, are more or less my companion short list atm for the aesir.

Comment

Skadi is a good choice for the Pantheon because she's all kinds of interesting.

Just think of the story potential she has. She's a member of a race that is technically the Aesir's deadliest enemy. She chose to throw in her lot with them and probably share in their doomed Fate.

You just know that a LOT of Frost Giants resent her deeply for her "betrayal." Stories in which Skadi deals with being torn between two worlds practically write themselves.

I've always found Skadi interesting because it's a bit of a mystery why Odin went to such great lengths to win her over in the first place. I mean why bother? He couldn't have been afraid of her. A single giantess walks into the Aesir's seat of power and starts making threats? Surely the combined might of the entire Pantheon would be enough to make short work of her if she actually attacked?

It couldn't have been legal obligation either. As I understand it, Viking law didn't award wergild to anyone when a relative dies as the result of self defense and/or in a legitimate military action. Skadi's father STARTED the conflict with the Gods. He was legitimately trying to wipe them out of existence. The Aesir had every right in the Nine Worlds to kill him in retaliation. Legally, Skadi had no right to demand ANYTHING from the Aesir.

So why did Odin give her anything at all? Could be any number of reasons for it and that's how you enrich a story.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Yay, Skadi!

I always thought she was one of the cooler Norse deities, not least of which because she's pretty much the patron goddess of the Olympic Biathlon.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                      X