Manitou Preview is up!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manitou Preview is up!

The Manitou Preview is up! Check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/2106554

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
    Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I must say, I pity the Manitou explaining why you should take their monsters seriously.

"Okay, so, there's this giant killer skunk-"

*snicker*

"A legendary beast that now exists within all its lesser brethren and always threatens to rebuild itself-"

*barely suppressed laughter*

"WHICH IF REBORN WILL UNLEASH MUSK SO POTENT IT SPREADS PLAGUE ON FOUL WIND-"

"BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!"

*later*

"So, while we're hunting Ainwye, I suppose we should beware French cultists?"

"Uh?"

"After all, they have mastered the art of farting in our general direction."

*howl of rage*

Comment

I really liked the preview. The pantheon is cool, the monsters are cool, and I'm glad to see the Orenda starting to be introduced. I know there's a bunch more of them, and I'd like to see more in the future, as well as the Wabanaki pantheon. Good stuff, and I'm glad to be educated on a pantheon I was only passingly familiar with.

Comment

Been waiting for this one!
        Muzzu-Kumik-Quae looks like she would have been a Titan in previous editions. Yet to see if this pantheon has actual Titans -- oh, they have, the next writeup mentions one.
        "One manifestation in particular, called Tekawerahkwa, gave birth to two very different sons
        who frequently do battle with the sons of Winonah." What's this about? I'll look it up after class but... maybe also during class...
        Man, Wisakedjak sure is a Mantle.
        Tawiscara reminds me of Nobilis' Hell. Of which I am a fan.
        It's always fun seeing what transliterations are actually useful; I'm used to calling the mishibizhiw mishupishu. And by fun, I mean hell.

But sexually.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellis View Post
          Been waiting for this one!
          Muzzu-Kumik-Quae looks like she would have been a Titan in previous editions. Yet to see if this pantheon has actual Titans -- oh, they have, the next writeup mentions one.
          "One manifestation in particular, called Tekawerahkwa, gave birth to two very different sons
          who frequently do battle with the sons of Winonah." What's this about? I'll look it up after class but... maybe also during class...
          I believe that's talking about the two Orenda brothers at the end of the list of the gods. They aren't Titans, they're just members of a conflicting related Pantheon (they're Iroquois rather than Algonquin), born from "the First Woman" in her Orenda Mantle of Tekawerahkwa, rather than her Manitou Mantle of Winonah.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Leliel View Post
            "So, while we're hunting Ainwye, I suppose we should beware French cultists?"
            I thought you were going to go a different direction with this...

" Do notcome wiz me to ze Casbah - we shall make beautiful musicks togezzer right here!"

Comment

It's unrelated, but the whole french thing made me think about it.
              Maudjee-Kawiss sounds very similar to a swear in french (well quebecker ... kinda). Now i know its a coincidence since the name most likely predate the arrival of the french language, but still. Its funny to my ears is what i mean.
              Last edited by Maitrecorbo; 02-05-2018, 09:40 PM.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
              Currently playing: Tomb of Annihilation (DnD5e) - Thulwir, Aasimar Circle of Dream Druid.

Comment

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
                I really liked the preview. The pantheon is cool, the monsters are cool, and I'm glad to see the Orenda starting to be introduced. I know there's a bunch more of them, and I'd like to see more in the future, as well as the Wabanaki pantheon. Good stuff, and I'm glad to be educated on a pantheon I was only passingly familiar with.

I'm definitely interested to see the degree to which the Wabanaki deities would be separate entities or Mantles of these gods. Easy enough to make Gluscab and Malsumis Mantles of Nana and Cheeby, and Grandmother-Woodchuck (Agaskw) is already often called Nokemis! But at the same time Malsumis is usually portrayed far more malevolently than Cheeby (though that may be a foreign introduction to the stories, as wolves are not elsewhere malevolent in Wabenaki culture), and Pla-wee-noo as mother to Glooscab would conflate Winonah and Turtle Island itself together if you're treating these as the same deities.

What's definitely rich depth too add from the Wabanaki are the host of lesser divinities and monsters to draw upon! The anthropomorphic personifications of the seasons, Azeban the lesser racoon/wolverine trickster spirit, soul-eating wizards with hearts of ice, etc etc.

With Kita-skog and Pa-don-gi-ak you also have the Horned Serpent vs. Thunderbird dichotomy you find all over Algonquin and Siouan traditions.

Comment

Where can I learn more about this pantheon? I've tried googling the Gods and Godesses names and had no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                    Where can I learn more about this pantheon? I've tried googling the Gods and Godesses names and had no luck.
                    Try googling without hyphens.

Comment

Here’s a good starter resource: http://www.native-languages.org/chippewa-legends.htm

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                        Thank you GW

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I thought you were going to go a different direction with this...

" Do notcome wiz me to ze Casbah - we shall make beautiful musicks togezzer right here!"

Come on, the other pantheons are not that cruel.

Unless they are Loki, who is currently reviving that thing because it is a precious treasure that should never be forgotten.

Comment

I love this preview! I'm hardly familiar with the Anishinaabe mythos so this was a good intro to that.

Will the Iroquois pantheon be a separate pantheon on its own in the future? Do the Orenda adopt the Manitou's purview?

Comment

Originally posted by Svarogg View Post
                              I love this preview! I'm hardly familiar with the Anishinaabe mythos so this was a good intro to that.

Will the Iroquois pantheon be a separate pantheon on its own in the future? Do the Orenda adopt the Manitou's purview?

I certainly hope we see more of their distinct gods too*, but with how the brothers are presented here I get the impression this is an Orisha/Loa type situation where there are shared Virtues and Pantheon Purview.

*Most interesting would be that if we assume Iagentci is a Mantle of Nokomis, then the Orenda introduce several relative gods of hers on the other side of the sky who she had dealing with before falling to earth and becoming the first Manitou. Gasyondetha the meteor god, Hawenneyu the ruler of the sky realm, his spoiled daughter Doyadastethe the goddess of the dawn, Airesko the god of war & the aurora borealis...

Comment

Working...
                              X