Storypath Combat 101

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storypath Combat 101

I'm trying to understand the mechanics of how combat is supposed to work in Storypath, so I thought to run a few demo scenarios with some of the built-in characters. Please feel free to correct me as we go. Edits will be in blue.

Dramatis Personae:

Rhiannon, played by Amy.
    Initiative Cunning + Athletics = 5
    Defense Stamina = 5
    Attacks
    Close Combat 4
    Firearms 5
    Equipment
    Pistol (Concealable, Firearm, Lethal, Piercing, Ranged) 5
    Knife (Concealable, Lethal, Melee, Thrown) 4
    First Aid kit
    Knack: Combat Medic

Eric Donner, played by Dave.
    Initiative Cunning + Athletics = 7
    Defense Might = 5
    [This is based on Neall's post that Defense is the character's highest Physical stat. If it's the highest Resistance stat (noted on page 132 in the Scion:Origins preview), his Defense would be 4 (Resolve or Stamina) instead.]
    Attacks
    Close Combat 9
    Equipment
    Car
    Knack: Tempered (“You are considered to have the Armored tag.”)
    Note:
    This tag doesn’t exist in the Scion:Origins preview. For the purposes of this example, I’m assuming Eric has the “Soft” armor tag. This means the knack increases the Difficulty of the “Inflict Damage” stunt by 1, which means non-piercing attacks require 2s to inflict damage instead of 1.
    Last edited by Ashnak; 02-05-2018, 04:43 PM.

Injury tracker:
    Rhi [-1] [-1] [-1] [-2] [-4] [TO]
    Eric [-1] [-1] [-2] [-4] [TO]

Scenario:
    Rhiannon has been told that Eric is holding the Spear of Cu Chullain. She approaches him as he walks across the empty parking lot at his gym, heading for his car. When he calls her crazy, she threatens him.

Red pool:
    Base tension is 2, because neither player has any Legend.

Field:
    High school parking lot. The only cover is Eric's GTO, at Medium range from the characters and behind Rhiannon.
    Initiative

Rhiannon goes first.
    Rhi:
    [1 2 8 9 10] [7]: 3 successes.
    Eric:
    [1 2 3 4 6 6 8]: 1 success.
    Round 1:
    Rhiannon steps back
    and draws her weapon.
    She's going to shoot. She draws a bead on Eric.
    Move action, Close to Short
    Reflexive Action
    Declares her attack
    Eric dodges because he's not stupid. Defense pool = Might (5).
    [4 5 6 10 10] [2 6] = 2s
    Rhiannon shoots, hits him in the leg. [5 6 8 9 9] d2 = 1s
    I just realized that Eric's Defense was too low in this action. It should have been 2s +1 base defense for a total of 3. Rather than fudge this (4 successes on 5 dice is uncommon), I'm going to rewrite the combat with corrected defense values.

Stunt: Inflict Damage (1s)

Eric’s Tempered body doesn’t affect Rhiannon’s Piercing pistol, so she inflicts 1 Injury Condition.

Because Bruised (-1) conditions can only receive Bashing damage,
    [Edit: There is a possibility for a -1 condition of "Cut". I can't explain why Dave would choose -2 instead of a -1 for this first hit, but that's what he did.]
    Dave has to choose either a -2 (Injured) or a -4 (Maimed) Injury Condition. He chooses Injured. This Condition imposes a +2 difficulty on all Athletics actions, which includes his running speed.

Eric:
    [-1] [-1] [X] [-4] [TO]
    Injury complication:
    Leg hit. +2d on Athletics actions
    Eric moves in to attack. Movement from Short to Close.
    Eric tries for a Grapple. This is attack declaration.
    Rhiannon ducks. She can still defend, though.
    [1 1 4 10 10] [7 5] = 2s
    Eric attempts a Grapple. This attack suffers from d2 because of his leg hit, and d2 because of her defense, for a total of d4.

[1 2 2 3 3 5 5 8 10] [6] d4 = 0s
    Eric gains 1m because his injury made him unable to grab her.
    Round 2:
    Rhiannon takes a mixed action, Sprinting backwards to get behind the GTO, and firing simultaneously.
    Her sprint is 6 and Firearms is 5, so she will roll 5 dice. The SG decides the Move has d2.
    Eric defends [ 2 3 6 7 8] = 1s
    Rhiannon acts, running… [2 9 9 10 10] [1 2] = 4s
    Amy spends 1s on movement, because her Sprinting specialty gives her 1e. This gives her 2s.
    …and shooting. This hit is bad, hitting Eric in the gut. This gives Amy 3s for her attack, difficulty 1 from Eric’s defense, for a net of 2s. She Inflicts Damage for 1s, and spends the last success to Pin Eric down. If he tries to attack Rhiannon, he will receive another Lethal injury.

Eric
    [-1] [-1] [X] [X] [TO]
    Injury complications:
    • Leg hit. D+2 for Athletics.
    • Gut shot. D+4 on Physical actions.
    Eric slumps to the ground, groaning. Dave concedes, gaining 3 Momentum.
    Last edited by Ashnak; 02-06-2018, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Mook fight!

Eric and Rhiannon vs. two "Mook" police officers
      Before she is able to speak with Eric, a siren starts wailing! Red and purple flash on top of a Crown Vic, as two of Kane Taoka’s henchmen pull into the parking lot in a fake police car.

Rhiannon finds herself between the police car and Eric’s GTO, with Eric on the far side of the car.

Both Eric and Rhiannon’s eyes go wide.
      The SG asks for a reflexive Culture + Cunning roll difficulty 2 to discern that these aren’t police.

Eric [3 8]
      Rhiannon [3 5 6 7 7]
      This is 1s for 2 people, which means the difficulty is 0.

As a single unit, the cops roll two dice (Desperation pool) to Ambush the characters.
      [7 8] = 1s.

They impose a -1c on Initiative rolls. That means that Dave and Amy have to spend 1s on their Initiative rolls, or they won’t get to act at all.
      Initiative:
      Rhi
      [2 3 6 6 8] c1 = 0
      Eric
      [4 5 8 9 9 10 10] [2 5] c1= 4
      cops
      [7 8 9] = 2

The players agree that Rhiannon, still healthy, should act first. If Rhiannon had rolled 0 successes before the Complication, she would not be allowed to act.

+2 Tension because both characters surpassed a Complication.
      Round 1! Rhi [-1] [-1] [-1] [-2] [-4] [TO]

Z (Mook) [-1]
      X (Mook) [-1]

Eric [-1] [-1] [X] [X] [TO]
      Knack: Tempered

Momentum:4
      Tension: 4
      Rhiannon turns to face the officers, aiming at the driver.
      The officers duck behind their doors. They are behind Light Cover.
      She aims, but holds steady. Amy rolls [4 4 7 8 9] d1 = 1s and imposes a c2 Pin complication on officer Z. On his next attack, if he doesn’t buy off the Complication, he will take an Injury Condition.
      The officers both draw and fire. Because Rhiannon is the only one visible, they both shoot at her. Rhiannon defends, scrambling behind the car. Amy choses Dive to Cover, which is difficulty 1.
      Roll: [4 6 9 9 10] [4] d1= 2s. She makes it, imposing d2 on all attacks.

Dave doesn’t defend. He figures, he’s behind Light Cover already, so he is safe.
      The cops both fire, and Rhiannon’s shot hits one in the shoulder. He collapses. Z: [2 4 6 7 10] [5] d2 c1 = 0s
      X: [1 3 4 8 10] [5] d2 = 0s

Officer Z can’t buy off the Complication, so he takes 1 Injury Condition and is Taken Out.
      Eric groans, his eyes wide. “Those aren’t cops!” Dave turns to Amy. “I can’t do anything with how I’m feeling right now. Can you help at all?”

There is no rule in the book for treating damage during combat, which makes Combat Medic worthless. The only listed option is First Aid, which takes a scene. (p. 139).

I have decided that combat medicine works like this: Roll is Medicine + Mental, with a difficulty equal to the first aid difficulty of the wound level. Success converts the wound level into a level one lower. Instead of applying a Difficulty, this imposes a Complication instead.
      Complication: Any roll where the player cannot buy off the Complication, he takes a Bruised condition as well.
      He drops to the ground behind the car. Dave takes the action Go Prone. This gives him +2 Defense against ranged attacks.
      Round 2 Rhi [-1] [-1] [-1] [-2] [-4] [TO]

Z (Mook) [X]
      X (Mook) [-1]

Eric
      [-1] [-1] [X] [X] [TO]
      Injury complications:
      • Leg hit. D+2 for all Athletics actions.
      • Gut shot. D+4 for all Physical actions.
      With both characters behind the GTO, Rhiannon reaches into her first aid kit, wrapping his leg wound.

She asks Eric, “Do you trust me?”
      Amy rolls Composure + Medicine (6d) and invokes her Combat Medic Calling, for a total of 8 dice. She doesn’t think she can fix his gut shot (d5)with those dice, but his leg (d3) should be possible.

[3 5 5 6 7 8 10 10] [4 9] d3= 1s

She downgrades Eric’s -2 Leg Hit to a -1 Bum Knee, giving him a 1 point Complication on Athletics actions. If he doesn’t overcome the Complication on an Athletics roll, he will take an additional Bashing Injury.
      He nods. “What are you going to do?”

She stabs him in the chest with a syringe.
      Because she invoked her Calling, Amy needs to create a Twist of Fate. She explains that she always carries a syringe of Adrenaline. It won’t fix anything, but it allows Eric to turn 3 points of physical Difficulties into Complications until the end of the Scene.
      Eric
      [-1] [/] [-2] [X] [TO]
      Injury complications:
      • Bum knee: c1 for Athletics.
      • Gut shot. D1, c3 for all Physical actions. If the Complication is not met, he takes an Injury level.
      Officer Xavier … The SG pays 3 Tension and X is promoted to Professional.
      Officer Xavier
      Primary (8)
      Secondary (5)
      Defense (3)
      Health [-1] [-2] [-4]
      dives over the hood of the GTO,… This will be a Split Action, Athletics and Grappling. As a SG character, these both fall under the same category, so successes will be split across the two actions.
      …grabbing at Eric… Dave rolls [2 3 4 9 9] d1 c3 to dodge. He doesn’t buy off the Complication, so he takes an additional -1 Bashing.
      [/] [/] [-2] [X] [TO]
      He does have one success, though.
      But overshooting. He rolls and stands. Officer Xavier rolls [1 1 3 3 4 6 7 9] = 1s. This isn’t enough to overcome Eric’s Defense, so the SG uses the one success to ensure that the officer lands on his feet.
      Eric stands, favoring his side. Standing with an opponent nearby is a Complicated Athletics roll, which will be hard to win: he currently has d1 C4 or he’s taking damage. The Compliation adds an extra C1 or he takes an Injury Condition.

Dave rolls [1 2 3 3 5 6 6 7 8 10] [8] d1 C1 + C3. He has 2 successes, meaning he can buy off one Complication (Which gets him 1m), but his Gut Shot still affects him. He takes another level of bashing, as Officer Xavier kicks him back down. +3 Momentum.
      Round 3! Rhiannon: No damage
      Eric: [/][/][/][X][/]
      Xavier: [-1][-2][-4]
      Rhiannon opens both the front and back car doors, shoving Eric into the back. The SG decides that this is Disengage, because everyone is in Close range.
      The rules on page 81 detail instructions for Disengaging, but they say that Extras will never prevent disengaging. There is no Extra label for opponents, so the SG rules that Officer Xavier (newly promoted to Professional) is not an Extra.

R: [2 4 6 7 10 10] [7 10] [4] = 3s
      X: [2 2 4 4 5 6 7 10] [10] [10] [4] = 3s.

Disengage favors the disengaging character, so Rhiannon wins.

Eric was Taken Out, so he is just dead weight at this point. He’s not dead (cannot be killed by someone on a lower Tier [edit: unless the SG feels it is warranted]), but he can’t act.
      Officer Xavier runs for the car door. The SG allows Rhiannon to defend with Dexterity + Pilot. She doesn’t have any Pilot, so she rolls 3.

R: [5 10 10] [6 9] = 3s
      He brings the butt of his gun down on the car window as Rhiannon pulls away. [4 6 6 6 9 9 10 10] [6 9] d3= 2s
      The car door acts as Light Cover, absorbing the two Inflict Damage stunts. The window cracks, but doesn’t shatter. Rhiannon peels out of the parking lot.
      Last edited by Ashnak; 02-05-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Field change!
        The SG rules that the action has moved from a Combat scene to a Car Chase.
        Field: City streets
        Conditions:
        Police everywhere c+1: every two intervals, the Complication increases by 1 (starting at 0). Failure to buy off the Complication means an additional Mook police car is added.
        Scale (Speed) e1: The GTO is a muscle car, the Crown Vic is a Sedan. This gives Rhiannon +1e.
        Intervals: Each roll represents 5 minutes of game time.
        Resolving the scene: If the characters get 10 successes before the SG matches their number of successes, they escape.
        Players:
        Physical + Pilot (Driving). Rhiannon is driving, and Eric is in the backseat. He can’t assist. Amy chooses Resilience for the Approach, so she will be rolling Stamina (5d).
        Officer Xavier:
        Officer Xavier is rolling his Secondary Pool of 5d.
        Interval 1:
        The heroes pull ahead.
        Rhiannon: [1 2 4 6 8] e1 = 2
        Xavier: [1 2 4 7 8] = 0
        Interval 2:
        They pull further ahead.
        Rhiannon: [6 7 9 10 10] [6 10] [2] e1= 4
        Xavier: [3 6 7 7 9] = 1
        Total: 6 v. 1
        Interval 3:
        Eric passes out.
        R: [5 6 7 8 8] e1 c1 = 2
        X: [1 2 4 7 10] [6] = 1
        Amy buys-off the Complication, leaving her with 2s.
        8 v. 2
        Interval 4
        Officer Xavier calls for backup.
        R: [3 4 5 7 10] [4 6] e1 c1 = 1
        X: [1 2 4 7 7] = 0
        Amy buys it off again.
        9 v. 2
        Interval 5
        Another car joins the chase! This is Officer O.

Rhiannon speeds through a final intersection, and down an alley. Both patrol cars speed past behind them, sirens wailing.
        R: [2 3 6 10 10] [3 6] e1 c2 = 2
        X: [2 5 7 10 10] [5 8] = 3
        O: [1 2 5] = 0
        11 v. 5
        Amy chooses not to buy off the Complication, so an additional patrol car appears, just as they pass the threshold and escape.

Comment

1) what you have done here is incredible.
          2) "He’s not dead (cannot be killed by someone on a lower Tier) " Is this a fact?? this is true?

Comment

Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post
            1) what you have done here is incredible.
            2) "He’s not dead (cannot be killed by someone on a lower Tier) " Is this a fact?? this is true?
            If a character is Taken Out, they can no longer actively participate in the fight. This doesn’t mean that they’ve been killed outright, and the workings of Fate mean that PCs will never be killed by enemies of a lower Tier. It’s up to the Storyguide to judge the tone of the campaign and determine whether or not a character has been permanently slain.
            You're not going to fall over dead if a random guy gets a lucky shot in.

And agreed on point 1. This makes the system look really smooth. Eager to give it a go.

Comment

Yea, this is pretty awesome. They clearly need to look over the combat medic healer knack though because as you pointed out First Aid clearly states it must be done after combat. Great work on the depiction above.

Comment

Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post
                I edited the note to call out the fact specifically. And thanks for the kind words. My next step is to write up an Intrigue challenge, but that's a bit more complex.

Comment

One thing I will add is the comment on the lethal tag not being able to fill -1 boxes. This seems to be incorrect. It states in the lethal tag that it can cause Scratched, Cut, or Bleeding Out Injury conditions. This would mean that a -1 injury would likely be scratched, -2 cut, and -4 bleeding out. The detail regarding bruised and battered is trying to guide you into giving appropriate conditions based on the fact its not a blunt weapon and does not cause blunt injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by Yig1015w View Post
                    One thing I will add is the comment on the lethal tag not being able to fill -1 boxes. This seems to be incorrect. It states in the lethal tag that it can cause Scratched, Cut, or Bleeding Out Injury conditions. This would mean that a -1 injury would likely be scratched, -2 cut, and -4 bleeding out. The detail regarding bruised and battered is trying to guide you into giving appropriate conditions based on the fact its not a blunt weapon and does not cause blunt injuries.
                    Oh, you're right. So Scratched would be a -1 Lethal injury in that case? Hmm. I'll adjust the text.

Comment

Hmm, I didn't pay much attention when going through the combat mechanics, but looking at the Inflict Damage stunt and the weapon tags and the dice rolls...is there such a thing as less or more damaging/accurate weapons? Or does, say, a light pistol works basically the same as a "hand cannon" of a heavy pistol? A missile launcher or anti-tank rifle likely has Scale, but is there no differentiation in destructive potential other than that and Bashing/Lethal? And no difference in accuracy at all? Or have I missed something?

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

Originally posted by danelsan View Post
                        Hmm, I didn't pay much attention when going through the combat mechanics, but looking at the Inflict Damage stunt and the weapon tags and the dice rolls...is there such a thing as less or more damaging/accurate weapons? Or does, say, a light pistol works basically the same as a "hand cannon" of a heavy pistol? A missile launcher or anti-tank rifle likely has Scale, but is there no differentiation in destructive potential other than that and Bashing/Lethal? And no difference in accuracy at all? Or have I missed something?
                        You would probably assign the hand cannon the Piercing tag...?

Revlid wrote:
                        Yes, hollowing out your humanity to become an utterly utilitarian asura is the exact suggestion I would expect from you, Aiden.

Comment

"Do you trust me?"

"No, you just shot me, crazy woman!"

Comment

Originally posted by WarDragon View Post
                            "Do you trust me?"

"No, you just shot me, crazy woman!"
                            "... *Jams syringe and injects* Do you trust me?"

"Everything's just great now~"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Ashnak Here's what it says about Defending:
                              Defending
                              Defending creates the basic difficulty an attack must beat in order to successfully hit its target, requiring the defending character to roll the highest of her Resistance attributes. Apply the successes on this roll to generate Defensive Stunts. Defensive Stunts persist until the end of the round.
                              If attacks are phyicals, you use Stamina
                              If they are mentals, you use Resolve
                              if they are socials, you use Composure

So, I don't think Might applies to Rihannon.

But Dodging with Stamina... isn't it a bit weird?
                              Last edited by Wickedgrail; 02-06-2018, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X