Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Official Stance on the Monotheist Religion in the World (Possible spoilers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glamourweaver I'd suggest a sweet, powdery smell of talcum.

Talcum is used to ensure a good grip on things, but also for hygienic and cosmetic reasons: it could remind of Azazel (or Gadreel, in some versions), who are depicted in Talmudic lore to have brought the art of both cosmetics and blades to mankind. It is used in an insane number of industrial processes, one of them being the paper industry (Penemue) but also in science, as a lubricant and/or isolant. It is reportedly a potential substitude for cement and, when sterile, a mean to stabilise cancerous pleuresis. On the other hand, it also carries some respiratory risk, and is used by some narco-trafficants as an additive for heroin: that can remind the "bad press" and the ambivalence of the Fallen, who aim to make this Earth a Paradise but who can't helped but being associated with evil in the public's eye.

Besides, how cool is that for a Fallen Angel that everyone expects to reek of sulphur and brine to instead smell of smooth wool and sweet talcum (and perhaps a pungent, overarching tinge of wine, more or less acre depending on their temper and resentment towards the Fallen state)?
    Last edited by Adrasalieth; 09-02-2018, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• I like the idea, but my Mal’akhim Pantheon aren’t Fallen - I deferred to Mysteris’ excellent take to run with my “The Fallen are just a Pantheon that lost their Titanomachy” pitch. I will eventually do a my own take on the Fallen as well in the context of the Mal’akhim, but first I’m working on the Seven Sarim of Heaven and their loyal satan Samael.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        Anyone have any thoughts on Scent of the Divine smells for my Mal’akhim Pantheon? I’m leaning toward wine and fresh wool right now.

But I realize that while the smell of red wine has sacramental associations for Jews and Catholics, Islamic and certain Protestant Mantles of the Angels and Chosen Scions would abhor the association...
        Christ is associated with palm trees, plus Cannan is described as a land of milk and honey, Maybe it should be the scent of honey and palm wood? It's hard to think of a universal scent for all the Abrahamic religions since you're not dealing with one specific world culture but I think those scents are vague enough to be applied to the whole Levantine region.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corax View Post

Christ is associated with palm trees, plus Cannan is described as a land of milk and honey, Maybe it should be the scent of honey and palm wood? It's hard to think of a universal scent for all the Abrahamic religions since you're not dealing with one specific world culture but I think those scents are vague enough to be applied to the whole Levantine region.
          Milk and honey is a really good idea, thanks!

I’ll go with the smell of milk and honey, and distant voices raised in song. Whether that song is a Hebrew Psalm, a Latin Mass, Americans Gospel, or Arabic Adhan, etc depends on the Mantles involved.
          Last edited by glamourweaver; 09-03-2018, 03:15 AM.

Comment

I’ll go with the smell of milk and honey, and distant voices raised in song. Whether that song is a Hebrew Psalm, a Latin Mass, Americans Gospel, or Arabic Adhan, etc depends on the Mantles involved.
            Yoink! 10char

Neall Raemonn Price
            Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

Islam is a more complicated subject and we do not have remotely enough information for me to comment. Even putting aside the real world events and social context that make addressing the subject difficult, it’s theologically harder to translate into this fictional setting.

Islam’s most central defining premise that defines a Muslim hinges first and foremost on absolute monotheism (“No God but God”). It can’t adjust to henotheism and still be recognizable as Islam the way Judaism and Christianity theoretically could.
              Perhaps they say in this world, "There is no True God but the True God" and allow that there are "gods" but only one "GOD." There have been Islamic groups in Sumatra and Java that took that opinion.

Comment

• Any ideas on Terra Incognita? Kingdom of Prestor John is an obvious possibility, maybe sharing its mythic space with the city states of Jabulsa and Jabulqa, which thanks to avoiding the devastation of the Khanate, have maintained the culture and innovation of the Golden Age.

Obviously Judaism is harder to wrap in here as it’s earthly promised land is a very explicitly identified non-mythic location, but I was thinking something with the Lost Tribes could work. Perhaps one or two of the lost tribes fled to and intermarried in Sheba which is also in this mythic space with the above kingdoms?

Comment

• Checking through my old kids' book on Arab myths and legends:

Medieval Islamic belief apparently thought the earth had seven layers, four of which were given over to the various residents of hell. Of the other three, the first was the home of humans, the second the home of the winds, and the third was inhabited by a devout race which has human hands and faces, cows' legs, goats' ears and bodies covered with wool, whose day and night are the reverse of ours.

Mount Qaf, the parent of all other mountains, linked to them through subterranean ranges, home of the jinn and the 'anqa (the phoenix).

Iram of the Pillars, the lost city swallowed by the earth, is a possibility.

The City of Brass might be an option, but it's in the Thousand and One Nights, so...

Elsewhere, Russian Orthodoxy appears to have spawned numerous legends about a kingdom of God on Earth, like the Land of Chud, a sacred kingdom underneath the ground ruled by the 'White Tsar', the city of Kitezh, a sacred city hidden under the lake of Svetloyar, or Belovode, a community located in an archipelago between Russia and Japan.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Working...
                  X