Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Official Stance on the Monotheist Religion in the World (Possible spoilers)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beelzebub, God of Gluttony and Consumption
    Aliases: The Lord of the Flies, The Traitor Prince, The Consumer, The Imprisoned Prince, The Disfigured One, Prince of the Air

Beelzebub is a study of contrasts. There was a time when he was a mighty commander among the Hosts of Heaven. Nowhere near the top ranks, but still highly placed and respected. When Lucifer was looking for recruits Beelzebub was a canny negotiator. If he would leave the comfort and security of his grand villa for Lucifer he insisted that he be given as high or higher a place in the new order Lucifer would create. This came early in Lucifer's recruitment efforts, and Beelzebub was able to negotiate a rank as one of the commanders of Lucifer's host, and he brought with him many legions of angels. When the Rebellion came Beelzebub fought as befit his rank, raining down lightning and terror on El's followers. He was the first after Lucifer to be cast from Heaven and as he fell he spit in Michael's eye.

When Lucifer established order in Hell Beelzebub came before him and reminded him of his promises. For his valor in the Rebellion, Beelzebub was appointed as Lucifer's right hand demon. Beelzebub was everywhere in the early centuries, overseeing the construction of Hell's principalities and sitting in on meetings of the Inner Council. His principality was the very airs of Hell, which he oversaw from a floating palace. On Earth he stood alongside Apollyon and laid waste to El's followers wherever they could be found. The beasts of the skies learned to fear him and answer his call, diving and striking at his command. Like Mammon, he gathered treasures to himself but unlike the God of Wealth, Beelzebub's interest was never in the hoarding, but in the consumption. Even in Heaven he'd had a penchant to overindulge. Now he was unleashed to consume all he laid eyes on in an endless orgy of devouring. He developed a reputation among El's early followers for his all-consuming appetite, his taste for luxuries to devour, and his sheer destructive power. People called him the Lord of Flyers and feared his coming.

When El's Scion Yeshua (Jesus) was active in the World, Lucifer made a great effort to recruit him, all with no success. Beelzebub, who had grown fat with power and arrogance, resented his second-place status to the Lightbringer and viewed his failure to recruit Yeshua as the final straw. It took a few decades but Beelzebub raised up a legion of traitors and rebels and attempted to overthrow Lucifer in a grand rebellion of his own. But the Lightbringer was stronger than Beelzebub had reckoned, and he had the support of Hell's nobility as well. Beelzebub was mighty, but was ultimately laid low, his followers killed. In light of his past meritorious service, Astaroth sentenced him to eternal imprisonment in the depths of Hell, with a sentence of execution to be applied should he ever betray Hell again. His palace was torn from the skies, buried in the infinite layers beneath Hell, in a lake of magma. Astaroth chained Beelzebub in the ruins of his palace in the chains no angel, demon, or soul can escape and left him to scream in endless pain as the magma washed over and burned him without consuming him.

Beelzebub's reputation grew among mortals even as his name became a byword for incompetence and treachery in Hell. Now, when the Titans stretch the bounds of their prisons, Lucifer finds that his former right hand can still be of use. On occasion, Beelzebub is let out of his prison for a time, to walk the World and choose a Scion to bolster the war effort. In any form Beelzebub is obese and hideous, deformed by his scars in war, the magma, and Astaroth's curse. He is always surrounded by an aura of buzzing flies, and reeks of charred flesh and spoiled food. He is incapable of siring Scions of his own since his genitals were cut off and destroyed by Astaroth's axe, and he is never allowed out alone. He always has powerful minders about him, sometimes including Astaroth, his old rival Mammon, or even Lucifer himself. He's always bound in some fashion, usually by the invisible chains of Astaroth. He chooses his Scions from among the gluttonous and wasteful, and always with an eye towards those who might grow mighty enough to free him from his punishment. He never has more than a few days freedom at most. Hell reviles him and sees that his Scions fall under the supervision of another. Then it's back to his personal gaol, to writhe and curse in eternal agony.

Callings: Leader, Warrior, Trickster
    Purviews: Passion (Gluttony, Revulsion), Sky, Beasts (Flies, Flying Animals), War, Order, Epic Stamina
    Last edited by Mysteris; 08-09-2018, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I'm loving this write-up. Mammon and Beelzebub are the only ones so far that appear evil, though Apollyon seems kind of neutral. Lucifer, Lillith, and Astaroth all seem very sympathetic.

Comment

Thank you. I was trying to go for the fact that in their rebellion, the demons took on both the best and worst aspects of humanity. So some of them have been unfairly slandered by centuries of propaganda and some of them are as bad or even worse than the depictions of them. I've got three more I was working on. I'm glad people like this series. I should note that I'm relying a great deal on Wikipedia's entries on various demons to gather background information.
        Last edited by Mysteris; 08-09-2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Leviathan, Goddess of Envy, The Oceans, and Technology
          Aliases: The Ruler of the Deep, The Hellmouth, The Great Sea Monster, The Craftswoman of Hell, The Temptress, The Green-Eyed Monster, The First Beast of Revelation, Gog

Leviathan and her male counterpart Behemoth share a distinction with Lilith among the Demonic pantheon in that none of the three started as angels. They were creations of El though. Leviathan was created as the prototype for the great beasts of the sea, a primeval monster who gave birth to the whales, the tannim, and the other creatures of the deeps. In her earliest days Leviathan was not intelligent, as such. El created her for a purpose and saw no need for her to have a mind of her own. During the Rebellion it was Apollyon who harnessed Behemoth and Leviathan's great strength for the rebel cause, defeating them and then choosing them as his first Scions to serve the war effort. When the Rebellion failed, Behemoth and Leviathan both were cast into Hell, rejected by El as failures.

It was in Hell that Leviathan developed her own personality and powers. When Apollyon began his raids against El's followers, Leviathan returned to the seas. She became feared and worshiped by the peoples of the Near-East as she grew in power, for she commanded the waterways and seas they depended on. The beasts of the rivers and seas dared not stand against their ancient broodmother, and instead became her servants. No mortal force could stand against her and she was more than a match for El's angels. She came to enjoy the worship and fear, cultivating it and increasing her power even further. She took a greater interest in the humans over time, observing their cultures. She realized that the primitive spears and nets they used to capture her children were growing more complex. One day humanity would be triumphant over her children, she knew. Humans could learn and adapt. Why couldn't she? She took to walking among the humans in human form, learning their strengths and weaknesses. Her meditations on humanity enlightened her.

She found that humans were quick to resent those of their kind who were more successful than they were. Mammon exploited this in a way, but Leviathan found him crude and crass. She became an expert in the subject, arousing the have-nots against the haves. It was a game to her. The technology that they developed to catch and kill her children aroused her anger and her interest. She studied it. Found ways to improve upon it. And she brought those innovations back to Hell, developing a reputation as an expert craftswoman in her own right. By the time she rose to divinity, Apollyon had recognized his Scion's talents and championed her before Lucifer. Lucifer agreed with his General. Leviathan was named a Goddess, assigned to the Inner Council, and given as her principality the seas of Hell, along with rulership over all its crafts and technologies.

Leviathan is often busy these days, overseeing Hell's increasingly complex technological development. She stays on the bleeding edge, leaking bits of technology to the mortals so they can be envious of her superior intellect and craftsmanship. While she is still fond of taking her true form, that of a seven-headed fire-breathing dragon, and swimming in the depths, she most often reserves that for Hell's waters. When she walks the World, she is a woman beautiful enough to inspire the jealousy of others. She favors roles that allow her to spread envy and resentment, such as the most popular girl in high school, the gossiping housewife, or the child of privilege who flaunts unearned and undeserved wealth. She often chooses as her Scions people of incredible beauty, who can inspire longing and jealousy in others. Some Scions she creates whole-cloth from her forges in Hell. When she mothers a Scion she keeps a close eye on their development, always encouraging them to develop skills or beauty or talent enough to make others envious of them.

Callings: Creator, Warrior, Sage
          Purviews: Epic Strength, Epic Stamina, Water, Forge, Artistry, Passion (Envy), Beauty, Beasts (Aquatic Animals), Frost
          Last edited by Mysteris; 08-09-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

A demon throne of envy is the one tripping me up right now for my own writeup. I’ve got concepts for the other six “heads of the Beast”, but I’ve never gotten medieval demonology’s association between “primordial sea monster” and “envy”.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
              A demon throne of envy is the one tripping me up right now for my own writeup. I’ve got concepts for the other six “heads of the Beast”, but I’ve never gotten medieval demonology’s association between “primordial sea monster” and “envy”.
              Maybe it’s because both Envy and Sea are cold, deep, and consuming?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Behemoth, God of Sloth, Sleep, and Dreams
                Aliases: Belphegor, Juggernaut, The Second Beast of Revelation, The Lord of Dreams, The Disputer, The Lord of Indulgence, Magog, The False Prophet

Behemoth was created at the same time as Leviathan. Where she was the progenitor of sea creatures, Behemoth was the prototype for land-dwelling creatures. The colossal beast, capable of taking the form of any of the great beasts of the land, was always self-indulgent. Not having much in the way of intellect, it was content to feed and rut and sleep, paying no heed to the brewing rebellion among the angels. It was only when Apollyon battled and then chose him as a Scion that he was even aware of the conflict at all, and then found himself drafted to fight for the rebels. For all his undeniable strength, Behemoth had no motivation, and when he was defeated by Raphael and banished to Hell, his only interest was in returning to his former haunts and resuming his lazy way of life.

It was Apollyon, determined to find some use for the great beast, that provided a motivation. He beat and harangued Behemoth, goading him to anger, and then unleashing him on El's forces in destructive raids. But when the battle was done, Behemoth would sullenly slump to the ground and refuse to be budged until demon handlers came to drag him home. After a few centuries of this, Behemoth decided that the only way Apollyon would leave him alone was to grow strong enough so that he couldn't be harassed anymore. He found an empathy with people who also didn't like being pushed around. People who just wanted peace. He started encouraging them, making up fantastic lies and pointed appeals to the inherent laziness of humanity to build his reputation. His Deeds on the battlefield soon paled before his Deeds at encouraging sloth and laziness, both physically and in the dreams he crafted. In time he became powerful enough to become a God in his own right, and Lucifer saw the value in having someone who could demoralize El's followers without a blow being struck.

Over the centuries Behemoth built up a reputation for both unstoppable strength when he was roused and for his talents at convincing people to just enjoy life. Let the cares of the world blow away. He took up the study of pharmacology and encouraged the use and abuse of drugs that altered consciousness and erased motivation. People started calling him Belphegor for some reason, and he was too lazy to bother correcting them. His pattern has been pretty simple: do just enough, build up just enough power that he doesn't have to hear the griping out of his peers, then laze about enjoying himself. As human society has advanced, he's found and exploited all the many ways to encourage sloth in people. The modern world greatly pleases Behemoth, with its infinite distractions. Why bother caring about war and progress and all the other little things when one can get high, play video games, and be perfectly comfy at the margins?

Behemoth walks the World infrequently. He has demons to import its' pleasures and diversions to his principality in Hell, and Incarnating himself is such a bother. When he does it's usually to shut up the Inner Council about his lack of Scion production for the war effort. He tends to take on roles that allow him to skyrocket to positions of power and authority, the better to collect the luxuries and perks due his position. Then he'll collapse back into his lazy ways: eating and drinking and rutting, just like the good old days. He can often be found as a drug cartel boss, an internet personality with a surprising following, or some corporate CEO who coasts on the benefits of an executive paycheck and stock options. He's very popular in the drug counter-culture. As a father, he's no great shakes. He likes the process of siring Scions well enough, but if his kids aren't motivated to join his hedonistic pursuits, he has no interest in them. He hands out relics with abandon, and really only notices his Scions when they contribute to or detract from his own enjoyments in some fashion. He knows also that El's cults proclaim he will have some role in their great Revelation. He doesn't much care, unless playing to their role gets him what he desires.

Callings: Warrior, Liminal, Creator
                Purviews: Darkness, Epic Strength, Epic Stamina, Beasts (Land Animals), Earth, War, Deception, Passion (Sloth), Wild, Fertility

Last edited by Mysteris; 08-09-2018, 11:33 PM.

Comment

This is some good stuff here - it presents the deities as interesting and engaging, not cliched and one-dimensional. I'm not a giant fan of using monotheistic pantheons in my Scion, but I honestly think I would be able to use the assorted characters here quite easily. Thumbs up, and more, please.

Comment

Thank you. I'm working on Asmodeus now, and I think Belial will come after that, to represent Wrath. Other than that, I don't know of any major demons.

Comment

• Edit: Nevermind, evidently I need to pay more attention to aliases here
                      Last edited by Center-of-All; 08-10-2018, 03:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mysteris View Post
                        Thank you. I'm working on Asmodeus now, and I think Belial will come after that, to represent Wrath. Other than that, I don't know of any major demons.
                        Azazel springs to mind as another big name (the only others I can think of are going to be just be Canaanite gods that got demonized like Moloch and Dagon).

My own line up is

Lucifer - Pride
                        Azazel - Lust
                        Asmodeus - Wrath (his name literally means “demon of wrath.” I don’t know what medieval demonologists were thinking!)
                        Beelzebub - Gluttony
                        Belial - Sloth (really more Despair, but Christian theology has historically conflated those)
                        Mammon - Greed

Like I said, still struggling with a good concept for an Envy Archdemon for my own write-up. I think Mysteris did a great job with Leviathan, but my own work is going to use her, Behemoth, and Ziz as elemental Titans.
                        Last edited by glamourweaver; 08-10-2018, 04:16 AM.

Comment

• Isn't Belphegor more traditionally associated with sloth more than Belial? And maybe you can work Satan in there; he's only inconsistently treated as being the same figure as Lucifer.

And as for Azazel, would Shemyaza be a bit more appropriate if you want a Grigori-derived lust figure? I though Azazel's thing was more being a teacher of warfare, sorcery, and other various other corruptive practices.
                          Last edited by Center-of-All; 08-10-2018, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Center-of-All View Post
                            And maybe you can work Satan in there; he's only inconsistently treated as being the same figure as Lucifer.
                            As with scripture, i’m using Satan as a situational title, or in Scion terms perhaps shared Mantle.

And as for Azazel, would Shemyaza be a bit more appropriate if you want a Grigori-derived lust figure? I though Azazel's thing was more being a teacher of warfare, sorcery, and other various other corruptive practices.
                            I’m not aware of any portrayal of Semyaza as a ruling demon of hell. He’s leader of the disobedient Watchers in the Book of Enoch, but I can’t find any usage of the figure as a demonic ruler/corruptor like Azazel is after that point. Going off Enoch, I’m inclined to just have those disobedient angels who didn’t take up arms against God imprisoned IN HEAVEN.

Comment

• I support the idea of an official version not being produced. But encourage homebrewing.

You’d have several possible pantheons:

Elohim. Saints. The Lesser Key of Solomon (maybe). Some others.

My current conceit is that the Abrahamics are mostly engaged with arguing with each other and that the occasional entity associated with Abrahamics figures just getting into facepalm water dispenser chatter with others.

Like Kuan Yin (associated with Mary) and Brigid complaining about Michael and Lucifer’s latest idiocy.

Comment

• Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I can work up writeups for both Azazel and Semyaza.

Glamour: Have you considered Valefor, the demon of thieves? I thought I saw that one on Wikipedia's list. I envisioned him as one of Leviathan's servants but he might make a good Envy demon for you.
                                Last edited by Mysteris; 08-10-2018, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X