Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deity Wish List for Members of Upcoming Pantheons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

    Unless something has changed, Hestia and Demeter are already present in Hero.
    I may not have that edition in dead tree from. Still, now come up with Hecate, Heracles, and Iris.

    Comment


    • #17
      What members of the Kachinas (the Hopi pantheon) would you guys like to see? I'm asking everyone, but GlamourWeaver in particular.

      Comment


      • #18
        Well since I haven't seen the new pantheons yet for 2ed I know who I wouldn't mind seeing. I wouldn't mind if they added
        Takemikazuchi. He's one of the closest things they have to a true warrior deity in the pantheon.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Sessha View Post
          Well since I haven't seen the new pantheons yet for 2ed I know who I wouldn't mind seeing. I wouldn't mind if they added
          Takemikazuchi. He's one of the closest things they have to a true warrior deity in the pantheon.
          Already in.


          Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

          Comment


          • #20
            Can anyone confirm if the inclusion of the atua as the Polynesian pantheon will be coming from a pan-Polynesian perspective or if they are basing it on a specific pantheon cycle from one culture/during a specific wave of exploration?

            I only ask because the have been pretty cognizant of not perpetrating cultural parallelism against the Natives of what are now called the Americas. As kānaka maoli I greatly appreciate the inclusion of this pantheon, but I hope that the authors are cognizant of the specific relations akuas and kupuas have with the certain islands and nations. Pele, for example, isn't a pan-Polynesian figure but is specifically connected to Kīlauae. Māui has names and stories that span numerous cultures while also having names and stories that are tied to specific localities. From a kānaka maoli perspective it is also important that there is an awareness that within our belief system we make note of the arrival and presence of foreign gods. How, when and why they came to the islands are just as important as their existence. It would be in conflict with certain beliefs to separate them from their histories and home cultures. That would be a disruption of lineage.

            With all that being said, I am excited and hopeful for their conclusion and I just want to thank the developers for making such a wonderful and magical system. Also, I would really enjoy the inclusion of a precolonial Kāne and Kanaloa (I use those names given my history and my lineage) that focuses on their dualistic relationship. In the meantime, I will keep working on my own akuas and kupuas pantheon.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by marin View Post

              Already in.
              Ah good. If I play 2ed then I might use him for my deity parent. Does anyone have a complete listing of all the gods and goddesses in the pantheons yet?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Sessha View Post
                Ah good. If I play 2ed then I might use him for my deity parent. Does anyone have a complete listing of all the gods and goddesses in the pantheons yet?
                Æsir: Odin, Frigg, Tyr, Skaði, Thor, Sif, Heimdall, Baldr, Hel, Loki, Freyja, Freyr, Njörðr

                Devá: Agni, Surya, Yamaraja, Varuna, Indra, Vishnu, Shiva, Ganesha, Karttikeya, Durga, Lakshmi, Parvati, Sarasvati, Kali

                Kami: Amaterasu, Tsukiyomi, Susano-O, Hachiman, Inari, Ama-no-Uzume, Sarutahiko, Takemikazuchi, Ebisu, Ōkuninushi, Bishamon, Benzaiten, Fukurokuju, Kisshōten, Hotei

                Manitou: Geezhigo-Quae, Muzzu-Kumik-Quae, Winonah, Maudjee-Kawiss, Pukawiss, Cheeby-aub-oozoo, Nana'b'oozoo. Linked by family to the Orenda pantheon of the Iroquois, who include Ioskeha and Tawiscara.

                Netjer: Anpu, Bast, Het-Heru, Heru, Aset, Khnum, Wesir, Ptah, Re, Set, Sobek, Djehuty

                Òrìshà: Èshù Elègbará, Ìbejì, Morèmi, Obàtálá, Odùduwà, Ògún, Òrìshà-Oko, Òrúnmìlà, Òsanyìn, Oshóssí, Oshun, Oya Iyansan, Shàngó, Sònpònná, Yemoja-Oboto

                Shén: Chang'e, Confucius, Erlang, Fuxi, Guan Yu, Guanshiyin Pusa, Huangdi, Laozi, Nezha, Nüwā, Sun Wukong, Yandi Shennongshi

                Teōtl: Chalchihuitlicue, Chantico, Chicomecoatl and Centeotl, Huehuecoyotl, Huītzilōpōchtli, Ītzpāpālōtl, Mictecacihuatl, Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca, Tlāloc, Xīpe Totēc, Xochipilli, Xochiquetzal

                Theoi: Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Dionysus, Hades, Hephaestus, Hera, Hermes, Hestia, Persephone, Poseidon, Zeus

                Tuatha Dé Danann: Aengus the Mac Óg, Brigid, the Dagda, Dian Cécht, Donn, Ériu, Goibniu, Lugh Lámhfhada, Manannán mac Lir, the Morrigan, Nuada Airgetlám, Ogma; Danu (Primordial)


                Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by lladas View Post
                  Can anyone confirm if the inclusion of the atua as the Polynesian pantheon will be coming from a pan-Polynesian perspective or if they are basing it on a specific pantheon cycle from one culture/during a specific wave of exploration?

                  I only ask because the have been pretty cognizant of not perpetrating cultural parallelism against the Natives of what are now called the Americas. As kānaka maoli I greatly appreciate the inclusion of this pantheon, but I hope that the authors are cognizant of the specific relations akuas and kupuas have with the certain islands and nations. Pele, for example, isn't a pan-Polynesian figure but is specifically connected to Kīlauae. Māui has names and stories that span numerous cultures while also having names and stories that are tied to specific localities. From a kānaka maoli perspective it is also important that there is an awareness that within our belief system we make note of the arrival and presence of foreign gods. How, when and why they came to the islands are just as important as their existence. It would be in conflict with certain beliefs to separate them from their histories and home cultures. That would be a disruption of lineage.

                  With all that being said, I am excited and hopeful for their conclusion and I just want to thank the developers for making such a wonderful and magical system. Also, I would really enjoy the inclusion of a precolonial Kāne and Kanaloa (I use those names given my history and my lineage) that focuses on their dualistic relationship. In the meantime, I will keep working on my own akuas and kupuas pantheon.
                  Since they're being included with a future game, I suspect that the OPP crew haven't actually started development yet. Reading your post, and having done a little research into Polynesian myths myself, I have a suggestion I would like to run past you. What would you think of a pan-Polynesian "pantheon" that shares Virtues and a PSP, but is explicitly described in the write-up as being structured and considering themselves smaller groupings of gods. I realize that it's not really accurate, but it strikes me as being a balance between respect for the cultures being dealt with while fictionalizing things and grouping things together to make the game work more smoothly. But I'm a white Canadian who has done only a little bit of bookwork, and no talking to people of Polynesian ancestry, so I ask -- would this be reasonable/respectful?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Mike McCall View Post

                    Since they're being included with a future game, I suspect that the OPP crew haven't actually started development yet. Reading your post, and having done a little research into Polynesian myths myself, I have a suggestion I would like to run past you. What would you think of a pan-Polynesian "pantheon" that shares Virtues and a PSP, but is explicitly described in the write-up as being structured and considering themselves smaller groupings of gods. I realize that it's not really accurate, but it strikes me as being a balance between respect for the cultures being dealt with while fictionalizing things and grouping things together to make the game work more smoothly. But I'm a white Canadian who has done only a little bit of bookwork, and no talking to people of Polynesian ancestry, so I ask -- would this be reasonable/respectful?
                    I think you make a lot of valid points and provide an alternative that makes sense if that is how you want to frame the creation of a Pantheon. I have been having a pretty illuminating conversation with Sacerdos about what it means to make a Polynesian pantheon and how does one go about it. Something that I have been thinking on from our conversation is how the choice of name for group frames the creation of the Pantheon in ways that may not be easily seen. Choosing a name not only determines the list of gods and beliefs from which one can include in the Pantheon, but it also places said pantheon and culture in a specific historical discourse that informs all of the choices that come afterward. So, for example with your interest in creating a pan-Polynesian pantheon, I think a valid argument could be made that these people should be grouped as such because of a narrative around shared cultural and language practices. I would just ask then "who chose those commonalities, when and why?" And "how does that affect how the pantheon/culture are structured, operationalized and symbolized?". So while I think it could easily make sense to structure them as you have, I think arguments could made for any number of grouping choices. I think it comes down to reflecting on how you want to include this culture, what parts of that culture you want to interact with and how that works for your enjoyment.

                    I think my original statement to OPP was more based on the fact that they will be making money on this and it is when money comes into play when my appropriation senses start tingling.* Additionally, I would hope that no one would take what I've said as right or as being the final verdict on appropriate usage. I am equally wrapped up in histories and structures of meaning making that can exclude others and should be challenged. I really do appreciate the space and the awareness of unique ethnoracial knowledge but this is a discursive space and it would be problematic for me to take a stance as an authority. In the end, I just appreciate you and everyone else who has an appreciation for my culture and willingness to discuss it. Make the pantheon fit your desires and needs for your setting and if that includes a critical analysis of what would be respectful and honest (and what those terms even mean given how these cultures still exist in a state of disruption, renegotiation and identity development) then I'm here. I'm sorry if this really didn't answer your question or if this confusing in anyway.

                    Personally, my belief in my ancestors and our gods is invulnerable to disrespect as respect is not something for others to give or take away. Believing what I do my lineage goes back to Po and it will always be that.* So respect is a funny thing to be striving for. I just appreciate your interest and hope you can enjoy the atua when they areach added.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by marin View Post

                      Æsir: Odin, Frigg, Tyr, Skaði, Thor, Sif, Heimdall, Baldr, Hel, Loki, Freyja, Freyr, Njörðr

                      Devá: Agni, Surya, Yamaraja, Varuna, Indra, Vishnu, Shiva, Ganesha, Karttikeya, Durga, Lakshmi, Parvati, Sarasvati, Kali

                      Kami: Amaterasu, Tsukiyomi, Susano-O, Hachiman, Inari, Ama-no-Uzume, Sarutahiko, Takemikazuchi, Ebisu, Ōkuninushi, Bishamon, Benzaiten, Fukurokuju, Kisshōten, Hotei

                      Manitou: Geezhigo-Quae, Muzzu-Kumik-Quae, Winonah, Maudjee-Kawiss, Pukawiss, Cheeby-aub-oozoo, Nana'b'oozoo. Linked by family to the Orenda pantheon of the Iroquois, who include Ioskeha and Tawiscara.

                      Netjer: Anpu, Bast, Het-Heru, Heru, Aset, Khnum, Wesir, Ptah, Re, Set, Sobek, Djehuty

                      Òrìshà: Èshù Elègbará, Ìbejì, Morèmi, Obàtálá, Odùduwà, Ògún, Òrìshà-Oko, Òrúnmìlà, Òsanyìn, Oshóssí, Oshun, Oya Iyansan, Shàngó, Sònpònná, Yemoja-Oboto

                      Shén: Chang'e, Confucius, Erlang, Fuxi, Guan Yu, Guanshiyin Pusa, Huangdi, Laozi, Nezha, Nüwā, Sun Wukong, Yandi Shennongshi

                      Teōtl: Chalchihuitlicue, Chantico, Chicomecoatl and Centeotl, Huehuecoyotl, Huītzilōpōchtli, Ītzpāpālōtl, Mictecacihuatl, Quetzalcoatl, Tezcatlipoca, Tlāloc, Xīpe Totēc, Xochipilli, Xochiquetzal

                      Theoi: Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Athena, Demeter, Dionysus, Hades, Hephaestus, Hera, Hermes, Hestia, Persephone, Poseidon, Zeus

                      Tuatha Dé Danann: Aengus the Mac Óg, Brigid, the Dagda, Dian Cécht, Donn, Ériu, Goibniu, Lugh Lámhfhada, Manannán mac Lir, the Morrigan, Nuada Airgetlám, Ogma; Danu (Primordial)
                      Ah thank you. From the way it's looking here from what I can see without double checking the Greek and Norse pantheons are the only ones who didn't lose any members.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Actually, there are plenty of Theoi missing from this list, and several Norse as well. But they can't include everyone, especially at the start. Think of all the extra expansions that we could potentially get with all the deities not in the initial releases!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Purple Snit View Post
                          Actually, there are plenty of Theoi missing from this list, and several Norse as well. But they can't include everyone, especially at the start. Think of all the extra expansions that we could potentially get with all the deities not in the initial releases!

                          There's a question as to who is at that power level. Certainly we can list minor Greek and Roman deities all day, but there aren't a lot on par with those 15. A lot of them are probably Demigod level spirits.
                          Last edited by glamourweaver; 04-17-2018, 04:17 AM.


                          Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Purple Snit View Post
                            Actually, there are plenty of Theoi missing from this list, and several Norse as well. But they can't include everyone, especially at the start. Think of all the extra expansions that we could potentially get with all the deities not in the initial releases!
                            What I should say is that of the base gods and goddesses from first edition none of the Greek gods have been removed. Of the Norse though they did however remove one of them and that was Vidar. Vidar was removed from their pantheon. Otherwise the Greeks are the only ones that I can currently see that had none of their original number removed. The Amatsukami, Loa and Egyptian pantheons all lost members while also gaining some plus extra. If you were wondering I don't see Geb or Ra listed on there for the Egyptian panteon. Though why they decided to go with sub names for most of them rather than the most popular and recognizable names(other then Sobek) is beyond me, but whatever.

                            But yes expansions could be used no doubt to expand the pantheons.(Something they barely did in the previous edition)

                            Though one thing I do find to be quite interesting from the previous edition was that Kag-suchi got labeled a titan rather than a god despite him being revered in the Japanese culture as a smith god because he worked with Fire. Which I did bother to check and yeah Kagu-suchi is listed as a lesser Kami in the mythology of the Shinto Gods. Yet he's a full Titan and his counter part Kojin hasn't taken his place as a Fire God? Yeah that's a bit messed up for me, but meh I'm a gamer with an opinion.

                            By the way if anyone was curious here is a link if anyone was curious to the listing of deities. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_deities

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              If the Atua pantheon is supposed to represent Hawaiian mythologies or some sort of pan-Polynesian mashup, I think it's a given that it will include Pele. Personally I'm hoping for a good representation of her siblings Hiiaka and Kamohoalii.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X