My Thoughts on Hero

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Thoughts on Hero

At the time of this writing, the Scion: Hero preview has been available through Backerkit for less than four hours. I'm posting these thoughts as I read; so it's possible something I say early on will get addressed later in the manuscript. So here we go:

Born Scions: it should be noted that in the world of Scion, all children of the gods are Born Scions, not just the ones who have one mortal parent and one Divine parent. This means that Hermes started life as a mortal, not just Herakles.

Types of Cults: this whole section, from Covens to Deifans, is something I would have liked to have seen in Origin. It's an essential part of the setting in that it details how mortals organize themselves around the mythologies of the gods; and so it says a lot about how the world looks. Same goes for the Monotheism and Atheism box.

More thoughts as I go.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 03-13-2018, 06:51 PM.

I may post in some thoughts I have later on when you get to the Pantheons. I have some words. Not angry ones, but firm ones.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Hmm… Titanic Virtues are still a thing; but they're not the Dark Virtues of 1e. “Wild” Titans have a Creative Virtue and a Destructive Virtue; “civilized” Titans (who have joined the Pantheon's society) replace one of those with one of the Pantheon's Virtues. This works for me: I could easily see Prometheus with Fecundity and… Egotism, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
        I may post in some thoughts I have later on when you get to the Pantheons. I have some words. Not angry ones, but firm ones.
        I'm there; so go ahead and post your thoughts. (I'm going through the Aesir right now; but I don't expect to make any comments about them — or any other Pantheons, for that matter. I'm very much a layman when it comes to most mythologies, and will leave the detailed nitpicking to better informed minds than my own.)
        Last edited by Dataweaver; 03-13-2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Gave it the barest skim, but a minor annoyance: the Netjer got that lovely sidebar about Greek names and properly used the Egyptian ones... then use the Greek names throughout the entire rest of the book anyway.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
            Born Scions: it should be noted that in the world of Scion, all children of the gods are Born Scions, not just the ones who have one mortal parent and one Divine parent. This means that Hermes started life as a mortal, not just Herakles.

So if a God sleeps with it, the child will be a Scion?

Excellent, that opens up a whole new range of characters, besides the 'bland as toast' humans.

Comment

Just finished chapter 1 and i really like what i'm reading so far. Two things that pop out for me.
              1) I like that it focus a lot on the element that Heroes are closest to the mortal world and that inform their role.
              2) Historian cults. This idea is just awesome to me

Onward to chapter 2

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
              Currently playing: Tomb of Annihilation (DnD5e) - Thulwir, Aasimar Circle of Dream Druid.

Comment

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I already found a few mistakes.
                ...In the Aesir section under Creatures Garmr is mispelled Gramr, and at the end of the section the Aesir are missing their Asset Skills.
                ...in the Teotl section under Relics Xiuhcoatl is mispelled Xuihcoatl, and at the end of the section the Teotl have THREE Asset Skiils instead of two: Close Combat, Culture & Empathy.

if this is the wrong place to post this - i'm sorry this is my first time posting on the forum - then I hope someone here could take this information and get it to the right place where it could be useful.

Comment

The Aesir section also describes Loki’s friendship wih Set in their relationships section instead of the other pantheons one.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by wactac View Post
                    I don't know if this is the right place to put this but I already found a few mistakes.
                    ...In the Aesir section under Creatures Garmr is mispelled Gramr, and at the end of the section the Aesir are missing their Asset Skills.
                    ...in the Teotl section under Relics Xiuhcoatl is mispelled Xuihcoatl, and at the end of the section the Teotl have THREE Asset Skiils instead of two: Close Combat, Culture & Empathy.

if this is the wrong place to post this - i'm sorry this is my first time posting on the forum - then I hope someone here could take this information and get it to the right place where it could be useful.
                    No, this is not an errata thread. It's for comments about the book not Corrections.

Comment

Oh good catch, also the Shen have no Other Patheons section, and both the Orisha and Netjer Relationships sections are blank (but they both have their Other Pantheons sections right after).

Comment

So, i'm reading a bit and i noticed a thing

the boon are ranks 1-4 and... gods this is really overpower and i love it.

but i noticed that are...very few of each boons.

Does this mean that "marvels", so our fantasy, are the new boons?

spending legend points of a boon let us do something incredible. like exalted, right??

Comment

Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post
                          So, i'm reading a bit and i noticed a thing

the boon are ranks 1-4 and... gods this is really overpower and i love it.

but i noticed that are...very few of each boons.

Does this mean that "marvels", so our fantasy, are the new boons?

spending legend points of a boon let us do something incredible. like exalted, right??
                          Kind of.

Boons don't have numerical ranks. Just grab them in any order as your Legend goes up, if you have access to the Purview.

Marvels are ways to sort of freestyle your divine powers when you don't have a boon for the exact situation.

And yes, you spend Legend. You also Imbue it.

Think of Imbuing Legend as lending it out to the Boon or effect, and when you're done you can call the Legend Point back and use it again.

Spending Legend means the Legend is gone, and you need to recover it through Sacrifice or through Fatebindings.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                            The Aesir section also describes Loki’s friendship wih Set in their relationships section instead of the other pantheons one.

Holy fuck... that Scion of pure chaos exists, don't they?! THEY TOTALLY EXIST!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

So, I've only been able to skim over it so far (since it came out at midnight for me ) but the Deva section on other Pantheons notes that they get along best with the Teotl... but the Teotl section says that they apparently hate the Deva because they 'conceal their appetites'? What appetites are the Deva concealing, and which is it? Or is this implying that the Deva are blind to the fact that their biggest allies in the Titanomachy hate their guts?

Also the Teotl seem to have three Asset Skills.
                              Last edited by Samudra; 03-13-2018, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X