No announcement yet.

My Thoughts on Hero

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prophets and Sorcerers are mentioned, and even given a page reference. But the only Sorcerer Paths that appear are fully Knack-based, and no Prophet Paths are given. Ack!

Comment

Interesting that Hanuman is discussed in the text both as a Born-Scion of Vayu, and as an Avatar of Shiva (and is reflected in Shiva's purviews) - but I suppose that's fitting with how the Deva roll!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        Interesting that Hanuman is discussed in the text both as a Born-Scion of Vayu, and as an Avatar of Shiva (and is reflected in Shiva's purviews) - but I suppose that's fitting with how the Deva roll!
        I wouldn't be surprised if there's a God level Yoga boon for exactly that

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
          Gave it the barest skim, but a minor annoyance: the Netjer got that lovely sidebar about Greek names and properly used the Egyptian ones... then use the Greek names throughout the entire rest of the book anyway.
          I mean I get it, for the majority of people reading this book (myself included) the kemetic names don't mean anything. So if you drop in a blurb mentioning Anpu I am like "wait who?" but if that same blurb says Anubis im immediately thinking "jackal headed guy who judges the dead, okay". I see value in sticking to their authentic names in the main write ups, in so far that the ancient Kemetic reconstructed names are marginally more authentic than the ancient Greek ones, but at a certain point you just need to write towards clarity for you audiance.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post
            So, I've only been able to skim over it so far (since it came out at midnight for me ) but the Deva section on other Pantheons notes that they get along best with the Teotl... but the Teotl section says that they apparently hate the Deva because they 'conceal their appetites'? What appetites are the Deva concealing, and which is it? Or is this implying that the Deva are blind to the fact that their biggest allies in the Titanomachy hate their guts?
            Hates their guts might be stretching it. On the premise that the Deva are the theopolitical superpower of the Overworld, and many of them aren't shy about openly flexing that status, I can imagine a certain amount of resentment from nominal allies. Just look at general attitudes toward the United States among the citizenry and politicians of NATO member states!

Comment

Originally posted by SpruceStripedGoose View Post

I mean I get it, for the majority of people reading this book (myself included) the kemetic names don't mean anything. So if you drop in a blurb mentioning Anpu I am like "wait who?" but if that same blurb says Anubis im immediately thinking "jackal headed guy who judges the dead, okay". I see value in sticking to their authentic names in the main write ups, in so far that the ancient Kemetic reconstructed names are marginally more authentic than the ancient Greek ones, but at a certain point you just need to write towards clarity for you audiance.
              I don’t know a damn thing about the Manitou, so if I have any questions, I’ll go ahead and read their chapter. Why not treat the Netjer the same?

(Also, their whole schtick is the sacred nature of names. It’s only respectful.)

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I have to say I love how irreverent this game about divinites is in some places. My favourite thing so far has to be the inherent ability of the Epic Strength purview, all of the sudden your social interactions are being complimented by well flexed muscles. Totally gives me that, Flex Mentallo/Herc/Alex Louis Armstrong vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

I don’t know a damn thing about the Manitou, so if I have any questions, I’ll go ahead and read their chapter. Why not treat the Netjer the same?

(Also, their whole schtick is the sacred nature of names. It’s only respectful.)
                  I would rather they look at each pantheon seperately and just pick the clearest most respectful nomenclature for that pantheon. The all have very different histories, views in the popular culture, and modern forms of worship, so trying to compare any two is apples and oranges.

The Netjer have a much stronger popular recognition by their Greek names, and there really is no modern worship of them to define what is proper outside of Kemetic reconstructivism which is more of a secular metaphorical following, so the mass clarity of the Greek names bears more weight to me.

In contrast with the Manitou you need to look at it as a more active cultural tradition that requires more accuracy to current practice. In that case I understand why you would use Nana’b’oozoo over the anglicized Nanabush stories I read as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by SpruceStripedGoose View Post

I would rather they look at each pantheon seperately and just pick the clearest most respectful nomenclature for that pantheon.
                    Then let’s use the most respectful nomenclature, since it’s already in the book and called out as being correct. Why bother having the Kemetic names and sidebar at all if you’re only gonna use them in one place? Consistency is key; I’d rather the closest appoximation to the “right” names be the one that actually sees print, rather than two sets of names for just this one Pantheon and no others.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Hates their guts might be stretching it. On the premise that the Deva are the theopolitical superpower of the Overworld, and many of them aren't shy about openly flexing that status, I can imagine a certain amount of resentment from nominal allies. Just look at general attitudes toward the United States among the citizenry and politicians of NATO member states!
                      Point taken... in fact, I think there might be interesting story hooks here if we interpret appetites as Vedic era sacrifice... So I imagine that the Teotl have good working relations with the Deva as a whole, but they get along better with the Sacrifice loving Vedic gods way more than the current set in power... So maybe the Teotl also subtly work to help their Vedic allies a bit more? I can see potential here. Thanks for that

Comment

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Every other Pantheon meanwhile is just baffled that anyone would rather negotiate without Indra than Ganesha...

Comment

Does an incarnate Scion have to be from a Dead god or can they just sort of break off and become theirown thing. I mean that SEEMS to be the situation for many Deva mythically.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                            Does an incarnate Scion have to be from a Dead god or can they just sort of break off and become theirown thing. I mean that SEEMS to be the situation for many Deva mythically.
                            I asked about that before too. We might not get an answer till we get more depth on the Incarnates (they’ll get more coverage in the Companion, but as it will be in reference to a dead Pantheon, our question might not be addressed, and we’ll have to wait for God to see the topic fully explored).

I certainly intend to rule an Incarnate of a living God is possible - some top tier Yoga might facilitate it if it’s Deva specific, but I was also co sodering the idea of a setting where Baldr’s dead and Loki is bound, but Loki the sometimes heroic amorally playful trickster (as opposed to the bitter hater of the Aesir who will lead the armies of the unrighteous dead on Naglfarr at Ragnarok) can Incarnate themself separately from the bound prisoner Loki as a player character.

Comment

I asked about that before too. We might not get an answer till we get more depth on the Incarnates (they’ll get more coverage in the Companion, but as it will be in reference to a dead Pantheon, our question might not be addressed, and we’ll have to wait for God to see the topic fully explored).

I certainly intend to rule an Incarnate of a living God is possible - some top tier Yoga might facilitate it if it’s Deva specific, but I was also co sodering the idea of a setting where Baldr’s dead and Loki is bound, but Loki the sometimes heroic amorally playful trickster (as opposed to the bitter hater of the Aesir who will lead the armies of the unrighteous dead on Naglfarr at Ragnarok) can Incarnate themself separately from the bound prisoner Loki as a player character.
                              Agreed totally on this... I'd prefer to just house rule that you can be the of m Incarnate Scion of any deity, but I would definitely rule that the Deva have a Yoga Boon that covers this. Also, am I the only one disappointed that one of the very few cases of the Deva who is an Incarnate Scion per the book's definition, Parvati, didn't get a shout out as an example (of course all of this is based on speculation and not knowing enough about how either Incarnates or Incarnations work yet, so my future mileage may vary)

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post

Agreed totally on this... I'd prefer to just house rule that you can be the of m Incarnate Scion of any deity, but I would definitely rule that the Deva have a Yoga Boon that covers this. Also, am I the only one disappointed that one of the very few cases of the Deva who is an Incarnate Scion per the book's definition, Parvati, didn't get a shout out as an example (of course all of this is based on speculation and not knowing enough about how either Incarnates or Incarnations work yet, so my future mileage may vary)

What I'm leaning toward portraying as the case in the immediate future (until canon gives me something I like better) is that the Deva have a God-tier Yoga Boon that lets them Incarnate themselves without diminishing themselves; other Gods have the option to create Incarnates without dying, but it involves sacrificing a Mantle and some Legend, so you generally only see it in extreme cases (like an aspect of bound Loki escaping).

Comment

Working...
                                X