No announcement yet.

My Thoughts on Hero

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also little things that amused me... The description of Annie using Devotions Reward is amazing also, the Visage Great and Terrible sidebar notes that Kali is channeling that through War... Even though Kali doesn't actually have War, and is probably doing it through Strength or Death instead

Big thing that made my day Kali is in the core, which I did not know was going to happen thanks for that Neall!
    Last edited by Samudra; 03-14-2018, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      Prophets and Sorcerers are mentioned, and even given a page reference. But the only Sorcerer Paths that appear are fully Knack-based, and no Prophet Paths are given. Ack!
      This is my fault for not double-checking the file I was using. The Prophet Paths will go into the final book.

New Paths[NP1]
      Mortals cannot help but be puppets of Fate, but a rare few are able to see the strings. Lacking the full power of Scions or other creatures of Myth, they are nonetheless a cut above ordinary, ignorant mortals—at least insofar as their ability to get themselves into trouble is concerned. They are Prophets when their abilities manifest as a gift, or Cassandras when it appears as a curse. Though seldom the heroes of their own sagas, they often appear as Guides or Companions to Scions, operating on the principle that, if one can see the horrible monsters that lurk in the shadows of the World, one should make friends with someone capable of fighting them at one’s earliest opportunity.

Prophet
      Whether “blessed” by a God or born under a Fateful signifier (being born with a caul or with one or more teeth are common marks of a Prophet), the Prophet sees the skein of Fate laid out before him and reads it like a book. It’s not the ability to see the future, precisely; rather, it’s the ability to understand the weird narrative logic that Fate operates under, to recognize symbolically-relevant details, and thereby get a sense of where events are heading. Just like a student of cinematography can tell which elements in a shot are important by the composition and lighting or a student of theater can predict the course of events in a play thanks to her understanding of dramaturgical archetypes, a Prophet can glimpse, however briefly or incompletely, the courses Fate sets in motion.
      Path Effect
      Prophets can automatically recognize creatures of Myth and those touched by Fate, including but not limited to Scions, manifest Gods, Titanspawn, and Fatebound mortals. They can likewise recognize portals to Terra Incognita, Underworlds and Overworlds. This Effect requires no roll (and indeed, Prophets are incapable of turning it off), but it is defeated by Knacks or similar powers that conceal the subject’s mystical nature.

Knacks
      Glimpses Forward: A Prophet can learn to read the symbolism Fate spins into the world, assembling cues and signifiers to glean an understanding of the future Fate holds. Once per session, the Prophet may ask one of the following questions about a particular topic (an individual, group, or course of action, for example):
      What is the greatest peril the subject faces?
      • What must be done to ensure the subject does not come to disaster?
      • What must never come to pass, if the subject is to prosper?
      • How will the subject change the World, in ways great or small?
      Obnoxiously Prepared: Once per session, the Prophet can remove all complications from a single action by retroactively having the foresight to prepare just the right tool, circumstances, etc.
      As the Prophecy Foretold: Once per session, the Prophet can declare that events happening in-game match a previously-made prediction and completely refill the Momentum pool.
      Inauspicious Signs: Once per session, the Prophet may remove up to 5 dice from the red Momentum pool, and half that amount (rounded up) from the black pool.

Cassandra
      Named for the figure in Greek mythology (though gods of nearly every Pantheon have created them), Cassandras are a special kind of Prophet cursed by the gods to speak absolute truth, but to never be believed by those who hear their prophecies. Where Prophets understand the structures of Fate and thus glimpse what must happen next, Cassandras see how the World flows within those structures, understanding what is happening. Theirs is a more immediate gift of prophecy, but no less useful—the problem is getting other people to act on it.
      Cassandras often find themselves pulled into the orbit of Scions for the simple fact that those of divine blood are immune to the curse. They make excellent Guides, and are often fiercely loyal to those rare few people who believe them.
      Path Effect
      Once per session, the Storyguide tells the Cassandra the absolute truth of a situation. This includes, but isn’t limited to, the agendas of those present, anything concealed or hidden nearby, and the immediate outcome of whatever is happening around her. This gift doesn’t extend to anything outside the Cassandra’s immediate vicinity.

Example: The original Cassandra, for whom this Path is named, saw the Greek army bring the Trojan Horse to the gates of Troy as a “peace offering.” This triggered her Path effect, making her immediately aware that the Greeks were not seeking peace and that many soldiers were hiding within the Horse. As the Trojans brought the Horse into the city, she was also aware that the immediate outcome would be ambush and slaughter. She was not able to perceive the rest of the Greek fleet waiting just beyond the horizon, nor was she able to predict that the long-term consequences would include Aeneas fleeing the city’s destruction and ultimately founding Rome.

No matter the information a Cassandra gleans from this effect, no one she tells will believe her until it’s too late to change the outcome of events. No amount of persuasion or social skill short of God-level Knacks can make someone believe a Cassandra’s prophecies, but it is possible to force people to act in accordance with the Cassandra’s warnings. It’s only the prophecies gleaned from the Cassandra Path effect that evoke this effect; general statements and inferences aren’t automatically disbelieved.

Continuing the example of the Trojan Horse, the Trojan soldiers didn’t continue disbelieving Cassandra’s warnings when the Greeks sprung their trap, but by then it was far too late to do anything about it. If Cassandra remarked that the Trojan Horse was certainly large enough to hold a phalanx of angry Greeks, the Trojans would likely agree, but would immediately discount the possibility that it actually was. If Cassandra had managed to get some leverage (say, a knife at King Priam’s throat), she might have been able to force the Trojans into destroying the Horse anyways, but they’d still steadfastly refuse to believe there was any point to it.

This curse doesn't affect with divine blood. Post-Visitation Scions, Gods, and anyone related to them are free to believe or disbelieve a Cassandra’s warnings as they see fit.

Birthrights
      Creature or Guide •: Cassandras may be accompanied by snakes, who whisper wisdom and sage counsel into their ears. Some merely have tattoos of snakes, hearing the sibilant whispers in their minds.

Knacks
      The
      Ties That Bind: Once per scene, a Cassandra reads someone's Fate at a glance and discern their strongest Fatebound relationship (if any). If the subject has more than one Fatebond at the same strength, this Knack reveals the oldest one first. Subsequent uses of this Knack on the same subject reveal sequentially younger and weaker Fatebonds. Each time the Cassandra uses this Knack, they suffer a Path Condition on an unrelated Path, related to their reputation as a liar who can't be believed.
      Truth, Lies, and Alibis: Sometimes there are advantages to nobody believing you. Once per session, a Cassandra automatically succeeds on a simple Manipulation by telling the simple, unvarnished truth. This is a conscious manipulation of the effects of the Cassandra curse, making whatever the Cassandra says seem utterly ridiculous and inconsequential in the moment (and the Cassandra herself, therefore, not worth bothering with). Once the Cassandra leaves the scene, this Knack’s effects end. For example, a Cassandra caught by a police officer while en route to the Pine Barrens to dispose of a body might use this Knack in response to the cop’s questioning her presence and answer “I’m here to bury Sal Gemino’s body.” The Knack’s effect will make the cop dismiss the story and the Cassandra herself as inconsequential, but later, when Mrs. Gemino files a missing persons report for her husband, he’ll remember the story. (“At the time I thought she was joking, but now…”)
      This Knack doesn’t affect anyone with divine blood.
      Self-Consistency Principle: If you can’t warn people about the future, you can at least take perverse joy in guaranteeing your predictions will come to pass. Once per session, after using her Path effect, the Cassandra adds a Complication equal to her Cunning to all actions that would prevent her prophecy from coming true. Maybe those Trojans would have checked inside the Horse, just to be 100% sure, but once Cassandra starts raving about hidden Greeks, it seems like a terrible idea.
      Self-Consistency Principle does affect those with divine blood.
      Last edited by Neall; 03-14-2018, 06:18 AM.

Neall Raemonn Price
      Beleaguered Scion Developer

Comment

The thing I noted is that I can’t find the rules for Deeds of Scale- as an interim, I’m assuming you apply Scale equal to your Legend on an action that you make a Deed of Scale, but I’m not certain that's it. Clarification or a page ref would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post
          This is my fault for not double-checking the file I was using. The Prophet Paths will go into the final book.
          Ooh, nice!

Now, are there any Sorcerer Paths that actually involve Purviews? My guess is that the “default” Sorcerer (to the extent such a thing exists) has access to his Pantheon's Signature Purview, which he uses to produce Marvels and/or access Boons by means of its Motifs. My reasoning is that the Motifs usually, but not always, align with the Signature Purviews.

But that's just a guess.
          Last edited by Dataweaver; 03-14-2018, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Quick question... Character Creation states that you get 4 dots of Callings and 2 Boons... The Traits chapter says you get 5 dots of Callings at Legend 1 and only one Boon per dot of Legend... Which is which?

Also I seem to remember a post sometime ago that stated that Heroes could get 5 Boons at Legend 4, so they could max out a single Purview and their PSP... Which would imply the CC version.
            Last edited by Samudra; 03-14-2018, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post
              Also little things that amused me... The description of Annie using Devotions Reward is amazing also, the Visage Great and Terrible sidebar notes that Kali is channeling that through War... Even though Kali doesn't actually have War, and is probably doing it through Strength or Death instead

Big thing that made my day Kali is in the core, which I did not know was going to happen thanks for that Neall!
              I thought your write up of Kali was so good they chose to officialize it. Isn't that what happened?

Comment

Quick question... Character Creation states that you get 4 dots of Callings and 2 Boons... The Traits chapter says you get 5 dots of Callings at Legend 1 and only one Boon per dot of Legend... Which is which?

Also I seem to remember a post sometime ago that stated that Heroes could get 5 Boons at Legend 4, so they could max out a single Purview and their PSP... Which would imply the CC version.
                So far, when the CC chapters have disagreed with the rest of the book, I’ve been assuming the cc version is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                  Then let’s use the most respectful nomenclature, since it’s already in the book and called out as being correct. Why bother having the Kemetic names and sidebar at all if you’re only gonna use them in one place? Consistency is key; I’d rather the closest appoximation to the “right” names be the one that actually sees print, rather than two sets of names for just this one Pantheon and no others.
                  Unless it's still there when we get the final PDF, I'd assume this is just a symptom of the "pre-release" part of things.

When it comes assembling this, going through everyone elses parts of the books and doing a find-replace for the Egyptian Gods has to be pretty low down the priority list and I wouldn't expect every other author that worked on this book to know exactly what to call each God. They'd just use the most common easily referenced name and trust to editing.

Comment

Also little things that amused me... The description of Annie using Devotions Reward is amazing
                    Yay! 10char

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                      Yay! 10char
                      My favorite was the Cheval one. Was it also yours?

Comment

Um, two problems with Fatebinding:

1) Does resolution have to be so strict? The Rival sticks out because not everyone with that is tsundere for their counterpart, and many aren't even unfriendly about it.

2) The Traitor has a hidden Role. Okay... What kind of Role? Does it have to be a negative role? If it isn't, why is it called Traitor? I don't think a Jinx who is actually a Boon Companion is someone the Scion is mad at. Grounds for sacrificing 100 cattle to whatever gods of fortune are in her pantheon, but not mad.

Otherwise, it looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                          Yay! 10char
                          And, yet again, thank you for designing an innate power that truly lives up to the principles of Yoga. you guys did an amazing job with the Deva PSP

Comment

I didn't get the word " Imbueing"

i'm sorry, usually i'm """"""""good"""""""" with english but... i still not understanding what does it mean "imbueing legends"

Comment

Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post
                              I didn't get the word " Imbueing"

i'm sorry, usually i'm """"""""go od"""""""&quot ; with english but... i still not understanding what does it mean "imbueing legends"
                              Simply put... When you imbue legend into a boon, you get that legend back once the boon is over... When you spend legend, you don't get it back even after the boon is over.

Comment

But I thought the write up of Kali was made by you?

Comment

Working...
                                X