X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dataweaver
    started a topic My Thoughts on Hero

My Thoughts on Hero

At the time of this writing, the Scion: Hero preview has been available through Backerkit for less than four hours. I'm posting these thoughts as I read; so it's possible something I say early on will get addressed later in the manuscript. So here we go:

Born Scions: it should be noted that in the world of Scion, all children of the gods are Born Scions, not just the ones who have one mortal parent and one Divine parent. This means that Hermes started life as a mortal, not just Herakles.

Types of Cults: this whole section, from Covens to Deifans, is something I would have liked to have seen in Origin. It's an essential part of the setting in that it details how mortals organize themselves around the mythologies of the gods; and so it says a lot about how the world looks. Same goes for the Monotheism and Atheism box.

More thoughts as I go.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 03-13-2018, 06:51 PM.

• HighPriest
    replied
    Edit: Wrong Thread
    Last edited by HighPriest; 03-25-2018, 11:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GrayWalker
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Certainly Metamorphosis, but I meant for everyone who isn’t Theoi.

Fertility makes sense as it’s by that power that Scions of Inari would do so.

I was thinking Moon because of its age changing magic, so it would fit the shifting phases theme.

I’m left wondering what the mechanics basis for Loki’s shapeshifting is, since obviously it’s far greater than any other Aesir, and it’s not like they have Metamorphosis or even have the Beast purview for potentially calling on animal forms.
    One can figure out a way to do it via some justification.

Loki I figure could get away with his shapeshifting via the Chaos purview or the Deception Purview.
    Something about Chaos applying to his very form and not be restrained to the order of having a singular appearance.
    Deception could have it so that all his shapeshifting was him altering the perception and memory of those around him. That or possibly him lying to reality/fate so hard his lies became true, not capable of warping the rest of the world but only that which he has total control of, himself.
    Or due to the fact that apparently every myth is true and one can ignore the rules if you see a cool enough justification just state that he's an exception among the Aesir and capable of actually attaining the Metamorphosis purview.

Leave a comment:

• danelsan
    replied
    I’m left wondering what the mechanics basis for Loki’s shapeshifting is, since obviously it’s far greater than any other Aesir, and it’s not like they have Metamorphosis or even have the Beast purview for potentially calling on animal forms.
    My best guess would be through an unusual application of either the Deception purview or the Trickster calling. Basically "pretending to be an animal" elevated to godly proportions. Also, it may occasionally be just for color - for instance, becoming a walrus for a wrestling dispute might just be a visual representation of applying his Epic Strength (particularly if he is using a Boon or Marvel to allow a Feat of Scale on said wrestling).

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post

Definitively metamorphisis. Aside from that, i'd like to say ... fertility maybe??
    Certainly Metamorphosis, but I meant for everyone who isn’t Theoi.

Fertility makes sense as it’s by that power that Scions of Inari would do so.

I was thinking Moon because of its age changing magic, so it would fit the shifting phases theme.

Leave a comment:

• Maitrecorbo
    replied
    Is there an example Boon I missed for shifting ones sexual morphology? If not, what Purview would you put it under? I’m thinking Moon.
    Definitively metamorphisis. Aside from that, i'd like to say ... fertility maybe??

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Is there an example Boon I missed for shifting ones sexual morphology? If not, what Purview would you put it under? I’m thinking Moon.

Leave a comment:

• GrayWalker
    replied
    After reading back on Origins it does alleviate some of my worries with regards to underpoweredness, I missed a few things that actually gave more perspective on the gap between Hero and Origins tier.

Though I am curious as to how other cultures split souls up after seeing the Orisha and Netjer describe the various parts of the soul.

Leave a comment:

• Shadowflame
    replied
    Hmf...I can't imagine feeling underpowered when the comparisons are typically against human mortals.
    You begin with a concept that tells you what skills you already have.
    Then get that "visit" which wakes up your abilities, and sometimes get a gift or two.
    Then there's the three paths; Origin, Role, and Pantheon, where three skills per path kick in.
    And you start off with one dot in each attribute. And begin with three knacks.

Leave a comment:

• ffanxii4ever
    replied
    You can have more Knacks than you us and just swap them around between sessions, and to get the Boon fix, I imagine you could get a lot of mileage out of Marvels.

As for the Òrìshà, I think part of it is the sheer magnitude of the atrocities committed to their people, and the fact that even gods themselves were not immune to the actions of the slave trade and exploitation (also, I find it interesting that the Òrìshà don't really believe in "Titans", so instead they get hammered by the most powerful force in The World: Fate). Considering the influence Fatebinding had in reshaping their pantheon, I could see an argument that one of the reasons their weakness is massive systemic racism and religious intolerance is that they are *still* being hammered by the Fate hammer, treating them as being lesser.

Leave a comment:

• GrayWalker
    replied
    I do admit I also feel a tad underpowered but I can see that we're not supposed to reach the top tier yet. Though is there any way to advance boon or Knack count without gaining legend?
    I do wish I could multitask a bit more with the boons but I guess that's something for higher legend play.

Do we have an ETA on the companion book? After reading the relics section it has made want more info on creating one with my character and it says that such info will be in companion.

I also agree that the weakness of the Orisha honestly feels pretty terrible compared to the weakness of the other pantheons. I get racism pretty bad but they seem almost pathetic in the fact that their fall was due to just mortals alone completely without a titan or something sabotaging them. It mentions that other faiths went through similar hardships and yet they are the ones that have that as their weakness/flaw.

Leave a comment:

• Darksider
    replied
    Originally posted by Irioth View Post

...(not to mention more... unorthodox sources)...
    ​Let's not be making veiled references to piracy, please and thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Ivoryknight22
    replied
    One of my issues is the Orisha's Flaw. It doesn't feel like a flaw, not like the other Pantheon's flaws. Where the others feel like a flaw from within, theirs feels like a hurdle from without. (I hope that makes sense)

In example. The Shen, their flaw is the fact there are so many they are overwhelming their own Celestial Bureaucracy.
    The Theoi, they are more often stepping on each other's toes, distracting them from their battle in the Titanomachy.
    The Tuatha are bound by Geas, their greatest strength is their greatest weakness.
    The Manitou have incredible (almost ungodly) amount of pride.
    The Deva are arrogant and large, using their numbers and power to rest on.
    The Aseir have their apples (drugs), their all too human fears of dying and getting old.
    The Kami are also proud and arrogant.
    The Netjer have infighting, everyone has the same tasks as about four others, there's confusion and arguments about who does what and when.
    The Teotl, their crutch of faith and sacrifice of their followers is their biggest flaw.

All are Flaws from within, the only one that is close to being a flaw from without is the Teotl. As they are relying on the acts of their worshipers for energy and power, yet they need it to simply be, much like the Aseir and their Golden Apples.

I feel the Orisha were building to a different flaw. One of distrust of other Gods, keeping them at arm’s length, and only trusting them AFTER they have done something to prove they are not going to harm them in the ways they have been before. After all, given what they have done to survive, even changing some of their own identities and grow into the Loa I feel they would be much, much more like the Wakanada people in the Black Panther movie. Or even their ideal of NOT FIGHTING the Titans, as they simply have not dealt with one, maybe more of a minor flaw than anything. A level of naive understanding of Titans perhaps, or simply being on the outside looking in?

Then, you have the later chapter that talks about approaching rough and visceral themes like racism and sexism with respect and understanding that some people wouldn’t want to talk about that in detail. It’s odd to see a weakness being something so in your face, then being told to step back from it. It limits the Role Play potential, where a Distrust Flaw would be much easier to RP and have more often around. That is what my Orisha will have as their main character flaw, I disagree with the presented Flaw as is. Beyond that, I do enjoy the character of each, it's well done and impressive. With that one blemish, that is my only real issue. It feels......backwards from the other set of flaws presented.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post
    I just re-read the Bolt from the Blue writeup. That Boon deals Aggravated damage to all targets within a certain range band and you can buy it at freaking Character Creation!

Name another game in which you can gain the power to do Area of Effect Aggravated damage right from the jump?
    Heavenly Fire does Aggravated as well, with the limitation of you can only hit one target at once with it.

There's also the Tsunami Water Boon that hits with what, Highest Force + Athletics + 4e? All in a range, with Shockwave.

Spending Legend will wipe the map.

Leave a comment:

• unnatural1
    replied
    I just re-read the Bolt from the Blue writeup. That Boon deals Aggravated damage to all targets within a certain range band and you can buy it at freaking Character Creation!

Name another game in which you can gain the power to do Area of Effect Aggravated damage right from the jump?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X