Do the mortals know??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the mortals know??

I know, this is a silly question but there a meaning behind this question.

I always played a homebrewed version of scion where the scions have nothing to do with humans, the mortal don't even know gods and scion exists

so... what i'm reading here is that in some sense the human understand the fact that the scions are in their city, living just beside em

am i right?? i know there is a full part in the new manuals talking about this but seems a little confusing for me (sorry i'm slow)

Is this... a good thing? i mean, keeping the existance of scion secret, like vampire, give a lot of more tension.

Or the trashy BANG BANG EXPLOSION gamplay of scion works better with a world aware of their existance?

Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post
    I know, this is a silly question but there a meaning behind this question.

I always played a homebrewed version of scion where the scions have nothing to do with humans, the mortal don't even know gods and scion exists

so... what i'm reading here is that in some sense the human understand the fact that the scions are in their city, living just beside em

am i right?? i know there is a full part in the new manuals talking about this but seems a little confusing for me (sorry i'm slow)

Is this... a good thing? i mean, keeping the existance of scion secret, like vampire, give a lot of more tension.

Or the trashy BANG BANG EXPLOSION gamplay of scion works better with a world aware of their existance?
    I think a big question would be, "Would Scions keep themselves secret?" or "Would the Gods keep themselves secret?" The answer to both of those in my mind would be "Maybe some of them," and "Probably none of them," respectively.

Scions are figures of tremendous power, they are the heralds of empires, and the speakers of the divine themselves. A Scion 1e Scion could become President of the United States with incredible ease with the right investments of Epic Attributes, and it looks like 2e Scions are operating on an even higher power level for their Heroes. A Scion might want to remain personally secret for their own privacy, someone might not want to constantly deal with Theologists or just random people coming up to them going, "Right, so, about this whole Orphic Mysteires situation," or, "And exactly why did your father feel justified in flooding the world?" But, as a whole, there is no real reason for Scions to operating in the shadows like World of Darkness splats. Nobody is in danger of being grabbed and experimented on by the Government, can you imagine how badly that would go over with many Divine Parents, or entire Pantheons? That's a fast way to have an entire nation-state go infertile, all their food to rot, and all political figures to lose any legal authority.

Then the Pantheons themselves. Well, Deities tend to be very keen on everyone knowing that they are infact Deities. Many Pantheons are vain, or have reasons to demand mortals worship them. Some good reasons (Teotl), and some bad reasons. (Hittite Gods) The Pantheons are big, and loud, boastful, and a lot of them are arrogant. They have no reason to try to stay secret, except perhaps doing it unintentionally.

I think it is less of, "Does Scion work better where the divine is a secret," and more of a question of, "Why would anyone involved here keep their existence secret save for personal individual reasons?" I mean, if I was a Scion, I would keep it quiet since I wouldn't want to deal with constantly explaining why it rained / didn't rain / why your dog died / what Underworld your great-grandfather went to. But, other then individual personal reasons, I can't see why Scions would keep their existence secret.

Comment

Scions operate like the mafia. Everyone knows they exist and that they have some influence over business and politics, but no one wants to get executed and dumped in a river, so as long as they don't exert too much influence and agree to do their part to take care of the community, everyone's happy to leave them alone and pretend they don't exist.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
      [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
      [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post

I think a big question would be, "Would Scions keep themselves secret?" or "Would the Gods keep themselves secret?" The answer to both of those in my mind would be "Maybe some of them," and "Probably none of them," respectively.

Scions are figures of tremendous power, they are the heralds of empires, and the speakers of the divine themselves. A Scion 1e Scion could become President of the United States with incredible ease with the right investments of Epic Attributes, and it looks like 2e Scions are operating on an even higher power level for their Heroes. A Scion might want to remain personally secret for their own privacy, someone might not want to constantly deal with Theologists or just random people coming up to them going, "Right, so, about this whole Orphic Mysteires situation," or, "And exactly why did your father feel justified in flooding the world?" But, as a whole, there is no real reason for Scions to operating in the shadows like World of Darkness splats. Nobody is in danger of being grabbed and experimented on by the Government, can you imagine how badly that would go over with many Divine Parents, or entire Pantheons? That's a fast way to have an entire nation-state go infertile, all their food to rot, and all political figures to lose any legal authority.

Then the Pantheons themselves. Well, Deities tend to be very keen on everyone knowing that they are infact Deities. Many Pantheons are vain, or have reasons to demand mortals worship them. Some good reasons (Teotl), and some bad reasons. (Hittite Gods) The Pantheons are big, and loud, boastful, and a lot of them are arrogant. They have no reason to try to stay secret, except perhaps doing it unintentionally.

I think it is less of, "Does Scion work better where the divine is a secret," and more of a question of, "Why would anyone involved here keep their existence secret save for personal individual reasons?" I mean, if I was a Scion, I would keep it quiet since I wouldn't want to deal with constantly explaining why it rained / didn't rain / why your dog died / what Underworld your great-grandfather went to. But, other then individual personal reasons, I can't see why Scions would keep their existence secret.

this is pretty... brillant and mind clearing, thank you so much

I was thinking about a story that starts like... True blood.

I mean: a world without the consciousness of the gods face with a traumatic and spectacular manifestation that the "WORLD" exists.

what do you think?

Comment

2e seems to take the position that when your power stat is Legend, you don’t get to remain unknown for long, at least by some alias.

Comment

heard a case a few year's ago where a priest in india wanted to do something with land that was legally owned by some god but not by him.directly took it to court, and the judge issued a supoena to the god, demanding he come to court to testify"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...t-summons.html
            Last edited by Prince of the Night; 03-14-2018, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
              Scions operate like the mafia. Everyone knows they exist and that they have some influence over business and politics, but no one wants to get executed and dumped in a river, so as long as they don't exert too much influence and agree to do their part to take care of the community, everyone's happy to leave them alone and pretend they don't exist.
              Quoting this for truth. From writeups and snippets I've seen in Origin and some shared fiction tests... People worship the Gods. And I saw one teased fiction snippet where a cop recognized Eric Donnar, a Scion of Thor, as a Godchild and let him through.

I think it's that people believe to some degree... Most would REACT with shock if the proof flew in their faces. And those in the know would love nothing more than to keep going about their quiet lives thank you.

Governments are aware that Gods and their Champions exist, and would prefer to keep mortal matters mortal and divine matters divine. So if there's, say, reports of a monster, a police chief may assign someone they know is a Scion on their off time to go take a peek. Unofficially, off the record, just make the problem stop being one okay?

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Yeah, and one of the little examples after each Purview, the one for Metamorphosis, has a Scion turning an asshole into a peacock in the middle of a coffee house. And nobody ran shrieking out of there, it was much more of a "Oh cool, thanks!" reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by ElanConnor View Post

Does it? I Mean there's plenty of people who have issue with the idea of the Masquerade just fundimentally unbelievable, I personally find it part of why Vampires are horrible people. So I think the lack of explicit conspiracies is a good thing.

Comment

It's a good question, since one of the stories with the Pureviews of Metamorphisis has a woman change some random rich white jackass into a peacock. In the middle of a crowded cafe, and some people just clap, or laugh. Not like..... scream, freak out, call the cops.... something you'd think people that weren't used to things like that would do. I mean, unless they are all followers of her or something, they would be questioning everything, from the creamer in their coffee, to who the hell that woman was, and what's gonna happen to the pissed off peacock that is crapping and pecking people now?

Edit: Didn't see that my statement was already mentioned. Gotta love midnight posting. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ivoryknight22 View Post
                      It's a good question, since one of the stories with the Pureviews of Metamorphisis has a woman change some random rich white jackass into a peacock. In the middle of a crowded cafe, and some people just clap, or laugh. Not like..... scream, freak out, call the cops.... something you'd think people that weren't used to things like that would do. I mean, unless they are all followers of her or something, they would be questioning everything, from the creamer in their coffee, to who the hell that woman was, and what's gonna happen to the pissed off peacock that is crapping and pecking people now?

Edit: Didn't see that my statement was already mentioned. Gotta love midnight posting. lol
                      I thought that particular example was quite witty satire of the whole "and then everyone clapped" bull shit stories that sjw's love to pretend actually happened, when, in reality, they never do. Like in an "only in a world of make believe, could such a story actually happen" kind of way.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSarcasticSage View Post
                        I thought that particular example was quite witty satire of the whole "and then everyone clapped" bull shit stories that sjw's love to pretend actually happened, when, in reality, they never do. Like in an "only in a world of make believe, could such a story actually happen" kind of way.
                        Eh, it's common to blowhards of every political stripe.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSarcasticSage View Post
                          I really do think this may not be the right forum environment for you. It's a loaded statement and you know, or can reasonably be expected to know, that it's bound to provoke a negative response. Fortunately people were wise enough to report the post rather than rise to the bait. Normally this would just be a warning but you were just warned for not "respecting other people" and "respecting the conversation". Take a week off.
                          Last edited by Darksider; 03-23-2018, 08:45 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Administrator
                          Posts in this color are moderator posts
                          Posts in this color mean a Great Old One has driven me mad.
                          Forum Terms of Use
                          the Contact Us link.

Comment

Eh, according to the new "official fluff," yeah it's less of a traditional urban arcana, and more of an alternative history setting, and mortals straight-up take the existence of gods for granted. However, the new "official fluffs" in a lot of TTRPG books say a lot of things, and it doesn't really matter as long as they don't mechanically bake the setting into the rules, which so far [knocks on wood] they have not... save maybe a couple changes that a storyteller has to make to the Teotl Pantheon Purview to account for the fact that a hero is unlikely to have people of lower tier making sacrifices in their name in Hidden-World setting.

So far [knocks on wood] the mechanics have been sufficiently setting neutral (outside the existence... hidden or otherwise... of the traditional gods,) that there are basically no barriers to running the game's traditional hidden-world urban arcana setting, or to skipping the vestigial origins-tier altogether. This means that functionally, there are two different potential official settings for scions... which is more options, instead of less.... which even if you don't like the new setting (personally I don't, which is okay) is a good thing.

I don't foresee running a game using the new setting, but I wasn't hoping for a new setting in the first place, and what I was hoping for was a new set of rules with which to run a setting I'd already fallen in love with a decade ago.... which is exactly what I got. . So far, save for a few outspoken voices, the new books have satisfied both those who like the new setting, and the old setting grogs like myself.

Comment

I wonder what the desire for the hidden world setting is honestly. I mean, why would the mythic try so hard to hide itself? The monstrous and divine aren’t actively hidden in myth (though it’s often numinous and beyond the reach of people who don’t lead mythic lives) which is the primary source material here.

That they went and did something different with Scion rather than give us WoD redux is way more interesting to me.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                              X