Discussion on Associated Purviews of the Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion on Associated Purviews of the Gods

So I noticed some peculiarities in some of the 2nd ed associated powers lists. I'm assuming/hoping for more revision before the final product. For instance wasn't Beauty one of the newer Purviews? I'm assuming because I very few gods have it, and it seems weird for Heimdall to get it but not Sif or Frejya, or friggin Aphrodite! I know he was the White God and was shiny and all but I got the impression the beauty of Sif, Freyja and Idun mythically inspired way more shenanigans then Rig's physical splendor.

Also why does Loki have Epic Strength? Is it just because he is a giant? He has many stories where he is physically intimidated by blokes both giants when one in the form of an eagle threatened him into treason as it yanked him into the sky and normal sized fellas like the whole Ottars Weregild situation.

And it still seems sometimes random for some beings to get the Beast Purview and others not getting it. Like if you are an Animal Headed god you probably will get it, but if you have a fondness for an animal or have some as renowned pets you only sometimes get it.

And not sure I agree Njord should get the Fire Purview. From my recollection he only has that because he was stated to be able to quench any fire upon a ship, but I felt that had more to do with him being a god of the Sea rather then a master of fire. He could halt fire as a specific job related trick, he couldn't say burn a mountain to ash in a single gesture.

It is a time for great deeds!

Neall confirmed that Aphrodite and Freyja get Beauty.

You don't get Beast for having a pet. Manannan mac Lir has a horse, Poseidon invented horses.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Okay that's fair. But I mean Athena invented lots of stuff like flutes, chariots, ships ect, but she only has Supernal Weaving skills.

Sometimes gods are heralded animals or symbolized by them quite strongly but they don't always get a connection with them.

Comment

There's a difference between having an animal as one of your symbols, and being worshipped as the god of that animal, or you being seen as that animal incarnate.

That said it is a holistic call a lot of the time, and absolutely nothing breaks if you add to or remove certain purviews to/from Gods' lists.

Callings are trickier because there's the set number of them.

Comment

On meditating is Loki only given Epic Strength because he causes Earthquakes when tortured?

Comment

Earthquakes is the main reason that Poseidon gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSarcasticSage View Post
              Earthquakes is the main reason that Poseidon gets it.
              Yeah but Poseidon presumably creates Earthquakes Willingly with considerable less effort. Loki on the other hand is shown to be not significantly stronger then the average supernatural, certainly not stronger then comparable giants, and caused Earthquakes only because he was in such intense physical and emotional turmoil that he gives it his all. Its more a story about Loki being such agony rather then a story of wow Loki is so buff. I mean Loki Invented the Net and could devise cunning traps, he doesn't have Forge. Odin is very symbolically associated with Ravens due to his legendary Hunnin and Munnin, and is less tied to wolves cause of Freki and Geri because the Ravens Symbolize his mental faculties and keeping abreast of the World and was made so people would always be suspicious if anytime they see a Raven its Actually Grimnir watching them.

But as seemingly proven this is still a rough draft of the powers. I'm not super upset about it. Some these I just give the sideways eye to.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                On meditating is Loki only given Epic Strength because he causes Earthquakes when tortured?
                I believe Neall has commented that the reason Loki has Epic Strength is because despite being played by Tom Hiddleston in the Marvel movies, it's important to remember that Loki in the stories is a full-blooded Giant, who in the Eddas will wrestle Heimdall come Ragnarok.

Loki isn't some delicate little waif unless they want to appear that way.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                  I believe Neall has commented that the reason Loki has Epic Strength is because despite being played by Tom Hiddleston in the Marvel movies, it's important to remember that Loki in the stories is a full-blooded Giant, who in the Eddas will wrestle Heimdall come Ragnarok.

Loki isn't some delicate little waif unless they want to appear that way.
                  Well I Ben in the comics he was twice as strong as most asguardian males, being in the fifty ton range while most are in the 25ton range.

Comment

So anyone know what Hel has made to be worthy of Forge?

Comment

Originally posted by GrayWalker View Post
                      Oh didn't notice this. Hmm perhaps they are attributing Naglfar's construction to Hel herself? I have to meditate on this, why would she have it?

Comment

I did find that odd.....

Like Eldagusto, I'll have to ponder this one.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                        Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

That threw me too, though I do like the image of her raising her hall from the worked bone and moaning flesh of the dead. Maybe a touch of CWoD/Exalted soul-forging is at play in Helheim...

(Which is her holding in the broader Realm of Nifleheim damn it! There is really no way to accurately count to 9 Realms, since just as Helheim is a location in Nifleheim, Svartalfar and Dwarves aren’t actually distinguishable from each other in the myths... I lean toward just saying “the Ninth Realm is a mystery known only by Odin” or possibly “it’s a collective label for all realms of other mythologies that exist beyond the eight actually known to the Norse.”)
                          Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-20-2018, 09:14 PM.

Comment

I like the imagery of her knowing forge as well. She’s the only god IIRC with a combo of Forge and Frost which I find to be a nice contrast.
                            Was thinking of having my scion of Hephaestus trying to her study under her even to see a way different from his father’s of forging.
                            I just was curious about whether there was a mythic source for the domain.
                            Last edited by GrayWalker; 03-20-2018, 09:57 PM.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out why certain purviews were made and others ditched? Biggest one is why is there a forge purview? I thought forging was something smith type gods did because that's what they did? Or that beauty is a purview now? Again just something I want to understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X