Headcanons about the World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headcanons about the World

I wanted to create a place for ideas we can share to help flesh out the World, both the earthly side and things directly involving Gods and which myths might be "truer" than others. Please feel free to comment and add your own ideas. Only rule is if you're going to comment on why you personally don't care for a given idea, a) be respectful, just because it's not right for your table doesn't mean it's inherently bad, and b) ideally suggest something else instead!

Some preliminary thought...

1) In the history of the British Isles, up to and including modern North Ireland, the Catholic Church has had a more comfortable syncretic relationship with Celtic Pantheons, while Protestant Churches have been more chummy with the Aesir - Calvinists even integrating Fatalism and Predetermination. The outlier is the very Plant Don friendly Church of Wales.

2) In general as early Christianity expanded through Europe, it took the perspective that acceptance of Christ did not require the active suppression of pagan gods. This difference may have been due to pagan Scions existing to force the point that did not exist in our world. This does not alter the history of European antisemitism though since by definition Jews couldn't make that concession and maintain their existent religion the way polytheists could. Same of course applies to Christiandom's conflicts with the Muslim world.

There were institutions throughout the Church's history though that were less tolerant. Neall has mentioned that the Knights Templar were (are?) an anti-Scion anti-pagan-god Order for example. I'd hazard to guess the Inquisition in Spain and Portugal was similarly hostile to non-Christian divine and supernatural forces. On the Protestant side, Separatists from the Church of England were uncomfortable with its acceptance of syncretic Germanic Paganism.

3) The two largest Kemetic traditions (including many smaller denominations under their umbrella) are the Cult of Re and the Cult of Isis. The Cult of Re is centered in Egypt, tying with Coptic Christianity as the second largest religion in the country after Sunni Islam. It is centered around the eternal conflict and balance between Ma'at and Isfet, as primarily played out through the nightly struggle of Re against Apep. It uses the Kemetic names of the gods, and notably includes most Sutekh cults under its umbrella, seeing him as a righteous defender of Re. The Cult of Isis is more widespread, uses the Greek names of the gods, and is centered around the death and resurrection of Osiris, honoring Isis as holy deliverer. Unsurprisingly Set is more of a satanic figure to this faith.

4) There has never been a Scion President of the United States. There were some Scions involved in the founding (Benjamin Franklin was a Chosen of Athena or Columbia [I treat Columbia as a mantle of Athena, who's been working on this "Western Democracy" thing since Athens, but I know in canon Columbia is an ascended Scion of Athena in her own right]; Alexander Hamilton's real father was Hermes), but having learned from fall of the Roman Republic thanks to the ascent of Divis Julius, the divine patrons of the American experiment have woven fate and have their agents actively work against anyone bringing their own divine power to overpower the American electoral system. Scions may be charged to intervene against a Scion trying to accumulate political power in the US or other republics (the Deva for example have adopted a similar policy for their Scions with regard to the Indian government, as have Kami with regard to the elected government of Japan since WW2. Quetzalcoatl upholds such a policy in Mexico since 1917, but the other three Tezcatlipocas have never endorsed it.)

Note that the Enlightenment saw a huge resurgence of Theoi worship in the West tied up with Classicism. Basically replace Freemasonry in the American founding with the Eleusinian Mysteries. Many of these Theoi worshipers were also Deists, who saw the Olympians as part of the Great Watchmaker's work just like humanity.

5) The Celestial Bureaucracy's intersection with the Chinese Government (as mentioned in the Hero text) requires ALL Scions in China register themselves, not just Shen ones. They do not require a renouncing of other Pantheons or their Virtues, but the Celestial Bureaucracy asserts governing authority over all Scions within the Middle Kingdom.

6) Historically, Scions in Japan were required to personally swear their direct loyalty to the Emperor. During the Edo period this was only nominal, and wielded mostly against non-Kami Scions born in Japan; but after the Meiji Restoration it became an active duty of all Scions in Japan to be at the beck and call of the Emperor himself. This institutional tradition ended after WW2, with the Emperor's Humanity Declaration forfeiting all divine authority. Today Scions in Japan are no more regulated than ones in the West.

7) In the West, the swastika is irreparably fatebound to Nazism. You can see the marks on walls and armor, doors, etc in Asgard where they've been blasted off. This infection has not gone deep enough to affect the Deva's much older relationship with the symbol, but they must be careful against cross contamination that could come from its usage in any form of political nationalism, for example.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-19-2018, 03:30 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

8) No one calls Daesh "ISIS" in the World.

Comment

9) Thor comics didn't happen in the World, instead Jack Kirby introduced the "New Gods" from the getgo when he was working for Marvel. DC did still create Mongul in reaction to Darkseid, but Thanos never happened in the back-and-forth. Orion was a founding Avenger instead of Thor, and Darkseid is the big-bad of the upcoming Avengers Infinity War movie.

Storytelling traditions about the gods and heroes are alive and well, but not generally in a form where anyone asserts intellectual property rights (fear of angering the wrong parties run too strongly). This is where Deifans and Deific come in.
      Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-19-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

10) Wonder Woman is relatively unchanged, except Ares does not OVERTLY appear as a villain in her comics (there are some jabs at him between the lines). Olive Byrne was of Amazon background herself and encouraged their inclusion in the story.

Comment

11) Debate rages to this day if the Egyptomania fad - from Victorian mummy-unwrappings and all the curious occultism to the Egyptian trends in art deco architecture and flapper fashions - was appropriation of the Netjer’s imagery or a subtle explosion of their reach into the West. Some conspiracy theorists allege that the Founding Father’s ties to Freemasonry are proof of a plot to build America as a New Egypt, and the boldest among them allege that Washington himself was a Scion of Ra.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

12) Since it came up again on another thread - Artemis is SOOO gay you guys... So gay. Ran off to live in the wild with nymphs and beautiful maidens after making her dad promise she would never have to marry a man, level gay. Ancient greek men just didn't conceive of that as "sex" and thus saw her as a "virgin".

Athena on the other hand is aro-ace.

Hestia is probably straight by inclination but celibate by choice, out of political necessity (as the first born child of Kronus of Rhea, if she bore a son that child could be seen as the rightful heir to the throne)... she also may have a "one true love she can never be with" situation *cough*Prometheus*cough*
            Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-18-2018, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
              12) Since it came up again on another thread - Artemis is SOOO gay you guys... So gay. Ran off to live in the wild with nymphs and beautiful maidens after making her dad promise she would never have to marry a man, level gay. Ancient greek men just didn't conceive of that as "sex" and thus saw her as a "virgin".

Athena on the other hand is aro-ace.

Hestia is probably straight by inclination but celibate by choice, out of political necessity (as the first born child of Kronus of Rhea, if she bore a son that child could be seen as the rightful heir to the throne)... she also may have a "one true love she can never be with" situation *cough*Prometheus*cough*
              I personally read Artemis and Athena both as lesbians, but that might just be because of my crushes on them.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post

I personally read Artemis and Athena both as lesbians, but that might just be because of my crushes on them.

That's fair. I just lean away from that with her because she has virtually no positive interactions with women in myth (other than one particular version of the Pallas myth, for a certain value of "positive"), so there's much less foundation to build that interpretation on than with Artemis. And I like one of the big 12 being aro-ace, and if Artemis is gay than Athena's the best fit.

Aphrodite's pan! Also super dom (she's all about CONTROL), which is why she keeps coming back to Ares among all the Olympians - because he's actually a complete sub in the bedroom.

Comment

13) Rhea’s Virtues (obviously wrong in the currently available text, probably a relic of another round of edits) are Fecundity and Kinship. She is an Emenation of the Primordial Gaea, and has drawn away from the Pantheon since the original Titan War since she wanted the ENTIRE family to be united and at peace, not see her fellow Titans imprisoned. She may be the active-in-the-World aspect of Gaea who unleashed the Gigantes on Olympus accordingly.

Comment

14) [inspired by American Gods] Anpu and Djehuty are a couple. Several deities attributed to one of them as their father, and then given an ambiguous mirror reflection as their mother are actually their shared children. This includes Wepwawet, Seshat, and Kebet-Het.

Comment

15) The notorious kidnapper and blackmailer known as the "Monster With 21 Faces" or the "Fox Eyed Man" that terrorized Japan throughout the 1980s was a shapeshifting Kitsune. In fact several of the bizarre, unsolved crimes throughout Japan's history were the work of cruel Yokai.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monster_with_21_Faces

Comment

16) The Kami do not distinguish between Born, Created, and Chosen Scions, because anything impressive can be a kami. Chosen Scions sometimes seem to get their Visitations without any kami being involved, but that may be tatemae.

17) Visitations to early adolescents (13 to 15) are not uncommon in Japan. Magical girl outfits optional. There are a handful of juku in Tokyo that cater to these Scions, and have rather unconventional curricula. You can absolutely do the school thing.

18) Shinto in the World is almost indistinguishable from Shinto in the real world. The main day-to-day differences are a smaller role for nationalism, a larger role for women, and a lot more talking foxes.

19) The Daijosai is a ritual that guarantees a Visitation from Amaterasu, as long as the new Tenno is in the male line. The current Tenno turned it down, and Amaterasu approves.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                          9) Thor comics didn't happen in the World, instead the Jack Kirby introduced the "New Gods" from the getgo when he was working for Marvel. DC did still create Mongul in reaction to Darkseid, but Thanos never happened in the back-and-forth. Orion was a founding Avenger instead of Thor, and Darkseid is the big-bad of the upcoming Avengers Infinity War movie.

Storytelling traditions about the gods and heroes are alive and well, but not generally in a form where anyone asserts intellectual property rights (fear of angering the wrong parties run too strongly). This is where Deifans and Deific come in.
                          This has had something of a ripple effect on DC, since without the New Gods various storylines play out differently or not at all. What's arisen in their place, over the years, has been a collection of godlike entities and anthropomorphic personifications.

Oh, while we're at it, the Wonder Woman movie had to use a different big bad as well.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Why are we numbering this? It only made sense if the numbers were consistent for a specific poster...

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                              Why are we numbering this? It only made sense if the numbers were consistent for a specific poster...
                              Meh, I guess you are right, it’s just the type of thing i’ve seen done on similar threads in the past.
                              Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-19-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X