Headcanons about the World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    I’d just abandon the Christianization of Yule/Saturnalia/etc being a thing. The original holidays are celebrated with trees and fairy lights, socks hanging for Jolnir, etc etc. Other than the absence of manger scenes, and replacing some of the more religious carols, it’s largely the same. Charles Dickens’ “Yule Carol” is pretty much identical for example.

Jesus being born in spring anyway, the early Church treated (and Protestants followed suit) the mass celebrating his resurrection as also celebrating his birth - which means that Jesus resurrected on his birthday. Birth and Rebirth. Manger scenes and people singing Silent Night are thus part of Pascha (overlapping in the English speaking world with the festival of the Vanir goddess Eostre, who as a goddess of spring rebirth and dawn, is comfortable sharing a birth and resurrection festival).
    Oh, sidenote. If Jesus’ resurrection is timed to the Judaic calendar with the anniversary of his birth, that means he was born during Passover - which means Mary and Joseph had an actual good reason to be making a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, as opposed to a Roman census that definitely did not happen (Romans did not require their subjects leave their homes behind to travel to capitals for censuses, they sent out census takers; making the subjects travel for censuses WOULD BRING THE IMPERIAL ECONOMY TO A GRINDING HAULT!)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Let's talk healthcare !

Rather than looking all white and austere, hospitals and clinics are tailored to attract Healer Scions and make them stay, as temporary or even permanent guests. From expensive suites to all-equipped bungalows, nothing is spared to make Scions feel home.

The oath of Hippocrates (a Scion of Apollo himself, ascended into full-bloomed Godhood soon after the Dark Plague’s end) implies a necessity to heal anyone, regardless of the Gods they worship: therefore, and to avoid sparking a negative reaction in the patient (there have been cases of some chauvinistic religious extremists refusing treatments if it involves appealing to deities they did not worship), any use of supernatural healing is supposed to be done discreetly, unless it is explicitly requested. As such, there’s nothing unusual in waking from a nap to find a dreamcatcher above one’s bed or tasting sage in your infusion while hearing your nurse sing-song a rhyme sounding suspiciously like a paean to Apollo. Thus goes the tacit arrangement between healers and patients.

A small piece of wild nature – most commonly a glade, a lake or a cave – is always maintained near the hospital: supernatural beings with good intentions and curative abilities can hope to find an asylum there, in exchange for a little help with the patients that are sent there to “go for a walk, breathe fresh air and bask in the sun”.

Medical staff working in terminal care often like to work with ghosts, as they are better prepared to handle and inform a dying patient through his last days. That tends to make those services a bit less daunting and heavy than in our world.

Most pregnant women choose to bear down at home: giving birth in a public hospital (or, in fact, in any place) is the door open to any creature of Fate to look down on the newborn’s cradle and settle its destiny.

Aesthetic surgery is irrelevant. You can get your nose, breasts or whole appeareance changed with the same amount of time and money as you would a tattoo in the real world – all it takes is buying an expensive bottle of alcohol and bring it to your local fox people in that speakeasy bar down the red-light district. It’s temporary most of the time, and it has countless ways to go wrong, but hey, beauty’s pain.

In a world where AIDS and cancer can be tackled with a mere effort of will from a Scion’s part, the most concerning health crisis is psychiatric issues. Your patient hears voices: are they only hallucinations, or are they real? Is it an indicator of a bewitchment, possession, communication with from a Godly entity, predispositions for a supernatural gift, or something else entirely? And what if, once you think you’ve got it all figured out, you start to hear those voices too?

Comment

How does everybody feel about South Park's idea of society helping a young celebrity rise to the top of the popularity charts, before ritually sacrificing them in time for harvest season?

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
          How does everybody feel about South Park's idea of society helping a young celebrity rise to the top of the popularity charts, before ritually sacrificing them in time for harvest season?
          I was inspired by the same thing. I wouldn’t make it a big Wickerman conspiracy like on South Park, but more a thing with Fate, and certain cults respond to it.
          Xochiquetzal has Marilyn Monroe’s skin (and thus Mantle) in her collection.

(I came up with that because I have a whole list of potential US deities that player characters will have to track down in various afterlives and so-forth, to assemble a potential full Pantheon for Columbia. They’ll chose which directions to follow shaping which possibilities they find, but Marilyn Monroe, if they get that sacrificial skin from Xoxhiquetzal, is the potential love, beauty, and celebrity goddess)

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

How do you explain to your kids "where do babies come from" when you live in a world where magic, legends and mythology are just out in the open for everybody to see?

If somebody's parents tell them they were found in a cabbage patch, or that the stork delivered them, or they were assembled in a baby factory; how the hell are you supposed to know if they're being completely serious or not?

Comment

Well because that’s not really myths in the traditional sense. Ancient people knew how you get babies, you take a man and a women and let them “know” each other. If talking about if they knew exactly how reproduction worked nope you will find tons of incorrect theories on what happened when the mans seed was left in a women. But the idea of babies coming out of no where is something you’ll see as origins of heroes and monsters or in other words Scions. So if your parents are telling you then found you in the wilderness or a messenger of some kind came and dropped you off, best bet your a Scion, if not your parents are just fibbing which will become apparent when they get older.

Comment

Speaking of "baby factories" in regards to Scion:

A Scion with an affinity for the Life purview decides to go into the field of mechanical engineering...

What are the chances of them exploring the potential of bio-mechanical technology?

I'm now imagining Scions running around fighting monsters while wearing suits of organic power armor!
                Last edited by Nyrufa; 09-16-2018, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I was inspired by the same thing. I wouldn’t make it a big Wickerman conspiracy like on South Park, but more a thing with Fate, and certain cults respond to it.
                  Xochiquetzal has Marilyn Monroe’s skin (and thus Mantle) in her collection.

(I came up with that because I have a whole list of potential US deities that player characters will have to track down in various afterlives and so-forth, to assemble a potential full Pantheon for Columbia. They’ll chose which directions to follow shaping which possibilities they find, but Marilyn Monroe, if they get that sacrificial skin from Xoxhiquetzal, is the potential love, beauty, and celebrity goddess)

Now I'm just curious how the hell Xochiquetzal got Marilyn Monroe’s skin?

Comment

Working...
                  X