X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• glamourweaver
    started a topic Headcanons about the World

Headcanons about the World

I wanted to create a place for ideas we can share to help flesh out the World, both the earthly side and things directly involving Gods and which myths might be "truer" than others. Please feel free to comment and add your own ideas. Only rule is if you're going to comment on why you personally don't care for a given idea, a) be respectful, just because it's not right for your table doesn't mean it's inherently bad, and b) ideally suggest something else instead!

Some preliminary thought...

1) In the history of the British Isles, up to and including modern North Ireland, the Catholic Church has had a more comfortable syncretic relationship with Celtic Pantheons, while Protestant Churches have been more chummy with the Aesir - Calvinists even integrating Fatalism and Predetermination. The outlier is the very Plant Don friendly Church of Wales.

2) In general as early Christianity expanded through Europe, it took the perspective that acceptance of Christ did not require the active suppression of pagan gods. This difference may have been due to pagan Scions existing to force the point that did not exist in our world. This does not alter the history of European antisemitism though since by definition Jews couldn't make that concession and maintain their existent religion the way polytheists could. Same of course applies to Christiandom's conflicts with the Muslim world.

There were institutions throughout the Church's history though that were less tolerant. Neall has mentioned that the Knights Templar were (are?) an anti-Scion anti-pagan-god Order for example. I'd hazard to guess the Inquisition in Spain and Portugal was similarly hostile to non-Christian divine and supernatural forces. On the Protestant side, Separatists from the Church of England were uncomfortable with its acceptance of syncretic Germanic Paganism.

3) The two largest Kemetic traditions (including many smaller denominations under their umbrella) are the Cult of Re and the Cult of Isis. The Cult of Re is centered in Egypt, tying with Coptic Christianity as the second largest religion in the country after Sunni Islam. It is centered around the eternal conflict and balance between Ma'at and Isfet, as primarily played out through the nightly struggle of Re against Apep. It uses the Kemetic names of the gods, and notably includes most Sutekh cults under its umbrella, seeing him as a righteous defender of Re. The Cult of Isis is more widespread, uses the Greek names of the gods, and is centered around the death and resurrection of Osiris, honoring Isis as holy deliverer. Unsurprisingly Set is more of a satanic figure to this faith.

4) There has never been a Scion President of the United States. There were some Scions involved in the founding (Benjamin Franklin was a Chosen of Athena or Columbia [I treat Columbia as a mantle of Athena, who's been working on this "Western Democracy" thing since Athens, but I know in canon Columbia is an ascended Scion of Athena in her own right]; Alexander Hamilton's real father was Hermes), but having learned from fall of the Roman Republic thanks to the ascent of Divis Julius, the divine patrons of the American experiment have woven fate and have their agents actively work against anyone bringing their own divine power to overpower the American electoral system. Scions may be charged to intervene against a Scion trying to accumulate political power in the US or other republics (the Deva for example have adopted a similar policy for their Scions with regard to the Indian government, as have Kami with regard to the elected government of Japan since WW2. Quetzalcoatl upholds such a policy in Mexico since 1917, but the other three Tezcatlipocas have never endorsed it.)

Note that the Enlightenment saw a huge resurgence of Theoi worship in the West tied up with Classicism. Basically replace Freemasonry in the American founding with the Eleusinian Mysteries. Many of these Theoi worshipers were also Deists, who saw the Olympians as part of the Great Watchmaker's work just like humanity.

5) The Celestial Bureaucracy's intersection with the Chinese Government (as mentioned in the Hero text) requires ALL Scions in China register themselves, not just Shen ones. They do not require a renouncing of other Pantheons or their Virtues, but the Celestial Bureaucracy asserts governing authority over all Scions within the Middle Kingdom.

6) Historically, Scions in Japan were required to personally swear their direct loyalty to the Emperor. During the Edo period this was only nominal, and wielded mostly against non-Kami Scions born in Japan; but after the Meiji Restoration it became an active duty of all Scions in Japan to be at the beck and call of the Emperor himself. This institutional tradition ended after WW2, with the Emperor's Humanity Declaration forfeiting all divine authority. Today Scions in Japan are no more regulated than ones in the West.

7) In the West, the swastika is irreparably fatebound to Nazism. You can see the marks on walls and armor, doors, etc in Asgard where they've been blasted off. This infection has not gone deep enough to affect the Deva's much older relationship with the symbol, but they must be careful against cross contamination that could come from its usage in any form of political nationalism, for example.
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 03-19-2018, 03:30 AM.

• Manbat
    replied
    Originally posted by Hayashi View Post
    So... Deifans are a thing, right? So I was thinking about a kind of social net/app that allows the Bands so inclined to change informations and updates among each others. Something like "We are at X doing Y and if other Scions would like to join us, pls shout/like!". Or maybe gather some kind of database about Titanspawn about their habits and weaknesses.

I think I would call it Band-it.
    The Band-it must also show near by supernatural incidents, who participated, keep reviews of each Hero (given by previous band-mates) and keep tipical areas of action (like if a there is a hero for a specific community).

Pray Away - An app that show the multiple Temples, Shrines and Sacred places near you. You can filter by religion, see specific prays and rituals, check if there are supernatural stuff around it and even see reviews

Divino-pedia - A easy app to find information about multiple creatures, rituals, deities, history and eve images of multiple religions. (A variation might even have an image scanning functionality for special creatures, which could make it somewhat like a Pokedex for supernatural creatures.)
    /* In a second thought, this second part might be an actual Relic. *//

Also, James Randy is an Incarnation of Odin that doesnt like fake prophets and psychics.

P.s.: I am terrible at naming. If someone have better ideas for naming apps, I appreciate suggestions.
    Last edited by Manbat; 01-09-2019, 06:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
    Still as fake and artificial as ever?

You say that, but my dad once got a very, VERY relevant fortune cookie advice. Our whole table went silent for a few seconds!

Leave a comment:

• Master Aquatosic
    replied
    Still as fake and artificial as ever?

Leave a comment:

• ChewyGranola
    replied
    Wait! What the heck are fortune cookies like in Scion?

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by AutoDefenestrate View Post
    Depending on how visible you're putting your Divine I feel like comic books could be something that have drastically taken a change. Superhero stories started out as modern day mythologies with the same larger than life style characters. With Into the Spiderverse we saw Miles owning Spider-Man comics that were effectively identical to what we'd have today, but they were biographical. I could see something similar happening to Scions who got big enough.

Or, if we're talking about DC, the comics serve as windows to parallel universes.

What does this have to do with Scion, you might ask?

Well, imagine if the comic books followed the adventures of somebody inside a terra incognita?

Suddenly, your action packed comic books have taken on the role of a mythical news article!

Leave a comment:

• AutoDefenestrate
    replied
    Depending on how visible you're putting your Divine I feel like comic books could be something that have drastically taken a change. Superhero stories started out as modern day mythologies with the same larger than life style characters. With Into the Spiderverse we saw Miles owning Spider-Man comics that were effectively identical to what we'd have today, but they were biographical. I could see something similar happening to Scions who got big enough.

Leave a comment:

• The Eternal Keeper
    replied
    Originally posted by ChewyGranola View Post
    I wonder what things like video games and movies look like in this world. Is it just assumed that most larger than life heroes (Lara Croft, Indiana Jones, etc) are Scions?

I sadly imagine that there's a negative impact on science fiction. So much SF is based on imagining more exciting worlds, but seems like the Scion world is pretty full of adventure and wonder on it's own. Would things like Star Wars, Star Trek, or Doctor Who be replaced by something more grounded in Mythic Reality? Maybe the Enterprise is an actual ship traveling between the various godly realms and whatnot?
    Well, Origins tier is explictly Mortal, and on a rough Action Hero Level, so it can be presumed that there are mortals who are that good.

As for Sci Fi. I think it's pretty much the same, especially Sci Fi like Star Trek, that is about imagining a possible future, and the impact technology can have on peoples lives.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by ChewyGranola View Post
    I wonder what things like video games and movies look like in this world. Is it just assumed that most larger than life heroes (Lara Croft, Indiana Jones, etc) are Scions?

I sadly imagine that there's a negative impact on science fiction. So much SF is based on imagining more exciting worlds, but seems like the Scion world is pretty full of adventure and wonder on it's own. Would things like Star Wars, Star Trek, or Doctor Who be replaced by something more grounded in Mythic Reality? Maybe the Enterprise is an actual ship traveling between the various godly realms and whatnot?

I'd say that a chunk of the medieval fantasy genre have become something akin to historical documentaries, rather than fictional stories.

And I don't think Zeus is too big on lying about his identity. If he got somebody pregnant, he made it pretty clear that it was him doing it. Or, if for some reason he chose to remain anonymous, Hera made it pretty damn clear as to who the father was.

As for a legal system, I would say the only judicial system the Gods would answer to is one of their own making. Religion exists in real life, too, and I have never heard of anybody trying to sue / charge a deity for anything. They don't give half a rat's ass about mortal laws and customs. Seriously, the Theoi is probably the most narcissistic pantheon I have ever come across, and the idea of Zeus allowing any mortal to prosecute him is laughable at best.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 01-04-2019, 04:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ChewyGranola
    replied

Also not to be trite, but would something like #MeToo be vastly different in the Scion world? I mean, if Zeus shows up, lies about who he is, gets you pregnant, abandons you...I mean, that's not healthy at all. And I'm not trying to be offensive or anything with this, but the power dynamics of a God-mortal relationship are even more screwed up than movie producer-aspiring actress would ever be. Again, I know this is a sensitive topic, but it's not like the Gods have a good track record of not abusing humanity. If a love god or goddess shows up and puts their supernatural whammy on you, can you consent? Is that rape?

I can imagine the legal system having all sorts of different rules and laws regarding crimes committed by Gods and Scions.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Due to the crazy nature in which Gods and Titans reproduce, schools have been forced to change their Sex Ed programs for students that come from "less mundane" heritages.

Additionally, all schools are required to have a minimum of 2 Heroric level security guards, in case the school experiences a supernatural emergency.

The majority of animals with acting careers have become mythical creatures, with a level of sentience comparable to those of humans. This has resulted in them receiving the same benefits as any human celebrity might possess.

Leave a comment:

• ChewyGranola
    replied
    Every time I read about Scion, I can't help but think about the Saints from the Saint's Row videogame series (mostly from before SR4, but including Gat out of Hell). Start as small time hustlers and criminals, get more and more famous as time goes on, eventually becoming international celebrities making tons of money, still doing the same kind of criminal stuff (Fatebinding?) and eventually having to travel to Hell, rescue one of their members, saving Santa Claus, etc.

Does anyone else get this vibe from those games?

Leave a comment:

• Hayashi
    replied
    So... Deifans are a thing, right? So I was thinking about a kind of social net/app that allows the Bands so inclined to change informations and updates among each others. Something like "We are at X doing Y and if other Scions would like to join us, pls shout/like!". Or maybe gather some kind of database about Titanspawn about their habits and weaknesses.

I think I would call it Band-it.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Manbat View Post
    There would be many universities with patronage of a specific God or pantheons, but even then inside clubs of fraternity houses would have their own patrons. .
    Actually, this one is mentioned offhand in text! I believe the Origins book mentions that there's a university in Memphis, Egypt, that bears the name of Imhotep, a Scion of the Netjer! So yes, divinely-sponsored colleges are very much a real thing in the World!

Leave a comment:

• Manbat
    replied
    Laboratories would prohibit the usage of any religious symbol inside of his facilities, as any kind of religious or superstitious ritual, to reduce the potential to it affect the results of experiments. The only allowed would be on the entrance, where would be altars for Sciences and Knowledge Gods. (Athena, Thoth, Odin, etc.).

Universities would have courses on Divine Relations, to study the relations between the many Pantheons, as specific courses and subjects for each pantheon. There would be many universities with patronage of a specific God or pantheons, but even then inside clubs of fraternity houses would have their own patrons. Also, many, many papers on the effects and influences of the Gods in the society, and discussion of Who is patron of What city, place or society.

A Multi-Pantheon Pact would forbid interventions and Scions, of any kind, to participate on the Olympics, Football World Cup, Formula 1 and other sport events. Betting on those, though, is a very different thing.

There are many more small Gods for many more different important things and technologies: like a New Muse for Cinema, a Norse God of the Ocean Liners and Steam Boats, a Hindu God of Spices and Trade, etc. All of then were Scions that got important enough to be linked to this invention/new structure/thing. If those are Gods or just Demigods that are essentially immortal, is hard to say. None of those things or social structures can be from after 1900.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X