Abrahamic Pantheon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I can definitely get behind the Titan-based Abrahamics, so long as the notion of sympathetic Titans (possibly to the extent of being potential protagonists) gets more play.

(Really, my core point here is that Abrahamics become much more viable protagonist fodder once Scion breaks away from its one-note “all player-characters are scions; all Titans and Titan-spawn are antagonists; and everyone else are Borthrights” stance. Yes, that mode of play should still be available and probably even presented as the default chronicle framework; but it shouldn’t be the only playstyle supported by the game.)
    I mostly agree with that. The problem is only Scion is enough intelligent to work on her own. Titanspawn may be restricted by the Titan's power, no free will because Titanspawns are not part human part Titan. Even if it were possible, they would be definitely stronger than Scion that come from God. Still, don't know why Titanspawn, which are Titan's creation, can be weaker than Scions since they are totally magic.

Comment

Why “Spirit”?
      His idea was so that it could take a whole slew of things into account. For one, most Abrahamic-inspired religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and even a few New Age philosophies) put a special emphasis on spiritual matters (a certain angel for a certain virtue, a countering demon in charge of a countering vice). Secondly, he used it to explain why there were so many extremely different religions despite originating with the Abrahamic myth--as the greater Titan of spirit, its form was abstract; it literally appeared differently to different groups of people since its form and character took to reflecting the inherent spiritual outlook of the people it spoke to, despite communicating a similar message to all. Thirdly, considering all the other elements the Titans stood for (time, light, etc.) Spirit seemed as good an element as the rest.

Comment

• What is germain, my conclusion:

The real question I would bring in the midst of this environment is, how are they formed? For if man is formed out of the body of a god (Kingu) or the remnants of a goddess (Tiamat), or otherwise created out of a divine source that is complete, would the scion not be innately more powerful than the titan spawn who is the conjuration of an aspect, a mere refraction and not a descendant of the divine being?

What I thought about getting there:

Between 4016 and 2008 BCE the sun rose in Taurus, set in Scorpio/Aquila, and held its solstice in Leo. During that time a people practiced a naturalistic religion where they dedicated themselves to preserving the purity and integrity of the creation. Their sons became embroiled as hired militias by city states in the Fertile Crescent who preferred watching "savage nomads" die in the opening salvos of their wars over spilling the blood of their own. These young warriors returned to become despots over their homes using the bronze technology of their city state neighbors. In that day one of the gods, Varuna - a god of light in the high Persian Plateau, vanishes and the Lord of Light, Truth, and Wisdom is revealed to the only priest in human history ever to found a religion: Zarathustra. The new prophet proclaimed the Devas and the Asuras/Aesir to be false gods, servants of the Lie. The Lord of Light was served by 7 archangels, lesser angels, and other spirits of ancestors and nature. The Lie was served by greater demons, lesser demons, and all manner of poisonous and corrupting things that bring about unhappiness, disharmony, and death. The son of the Lie was Azi Dahaka the wyrm which is the enemy of the Lord of Light. If we step back and look at this wyrm as it is written about from Ireland to India, per How to Kill a Dragon: Aspects of Indo-European Poetics, by Calvert Watkins and Myth of Invariance: The Origin of the Gods, Mathematics and Music from the RG Veda to Plato, by Ernest G. McClain, we see that the wyrm is the manifestation of cognitive dissonance against the weave of notes (the kosmos, kosmetic, kosmopolis) inspired from the discovery of the connection between all things in creation. During the Babylonian Captivity of Israel, elements of Hapiru ethical monotheism and Persian ethical monotheism fused to become the Pharisaic tradition leading to the Judaism of the Middle Ages, and influencing Christianity and Islam. This dragon cast down from heaven, this Jörmungandr of the Middle East, is but another face of Leviathan. Yet, the origins of man remain divided by the traditions.

“It was clear to me for a long time that the origins of science had their deep roots in a particular myth, that of invariance." ~ Giorgio de Santillana
        Preface to Hamlet's Mill

Comment

• I just got Scion: Companion, and I noticed something that I was surprised no one said anything about it. There's actually an antagonist group that has connections to the montheistic faith of the Abrahamic religions called The Order of Divine Glory. This group, who is endorsed by the Vatican itself, seeks to convert Scions, and eventually the Gods themselves into the belief of the One God.

Why didn't someone tell me about this? I thought that White Wolf totally ignored the monotheistic response to Scions. This changes a lot.

Comment

• Not really. The Order of Divine Glory is essentially “the Abrahamic faiths are strictly a human invention with little basis in fact”. For those of us who want the Abrahamic faiths to have a stronger basis in fact, the Order is inadequate; for those of us who want the option of Abrahamic protagonists, it’s too inherently antagonistic.

All that said, it has been mentioned numerous times in this thread.

Comment

• Christ almighty, do I want to know why this is still semi-going on?

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
              The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
              Feminine pronouns, please.

Comment

• Because people keep posting, obviously. These days, I only post to this topic when someone else does; but every so often, someone else posts.

Comment

• As a mythology nerd, I would love to see the abrahamic pantheon represented (Nephilim!). As an atheist, I don't believe any which way, but I don't know if the game can be more disrespectful to Abrahamic faiths than it already is considering it implies that they're all stooges of Akhenaten.

Comment

Not really. The Order of Divine Glory is essentially “the Abrahamic faiths are strictly a human invention with little basis in fact”. For those of us who want the Abrahamic faiths to have a stronger basis in fact, the Order is inadequate; for those of us who want the option of Abrahamic protagonists, it’s too inherently antagonistic.

All that said, it has been mentioned numerous times in this thread.
                    Oh, my bad. I didn't realize about that. So, hopefully the Caanites or some possibility with the religions for a pantheon then. I get it.

Comment

• I gonna say something about how Buddhism don't even appear in the gameline so Christian should just be contented with Aten/Pancifer/Order of Divine Glory.

But then again, Guanyin is an actual "goddess" in the Celestial Bureaucracy due to her popularity power when all Christianity has is....well.....Pancifer.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

• Originally posted by Hecaton View Post
                        As a mythology nerd, I would love to see the abrahamic pantheon represented (Nephilim!). As an atheist, I don't believe any which way, but I don't know if the game can be more disrespectful to Abrahamic faiths than it already is considering it implies that they're all stooges of Akhenaten.

Which is amusing as Akhenaten was the grandson of an ethical monotheist from Haran, a worshipper of the Lord of Light, the Wise Lord, the One True God which revealed himself and drove out the darkness of the Deevs and the false smashers of urine.

“It was clear to me for a long time that the origins of science had their deep roots in a particular myth, that of invariance." ~ Giorgio de Santillana
                        Preface to Hamlet's Mill

Comment

• Smashers of urine?!

Comment

• Anyone read the Iron Druid series? It's a great example of an all myths setting. The main character is a Druid, plus he has interactions with vampires, werewolves, the Irish gods, Nordic gods, Mary, Angels, Demons, Bacchus' servants, witches that serve the Zorya, Coyote, Etcetera. no one worries about they why, they just are.
                            I personally feel like that would be a great way to run Scion. Leave the discussions for academic circles and concentrate on big exciting mythic adventures with anyone or anything from any mythology ever showing up when appropriate. Keep it fun and simple.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChewyGranola View Post
                              Anyone read the Iron Druid series? It's a great example of an all myths setting. The main character is a Druid, plus he has interactions with vampires, werewolves, the Irish gods, Nordic gods, Mary, Angels, Demons, Bacchus' servants, witches that serve the Zorya, Coyote, Etcetera. no one worries about they why, they just are.
                              I personally feel like that would be a great way to run Scion. Leave the discussions for academic circles and concentrate on big exciting mythic adventures with anyone or anything from any mythology ever showing up when appropriate. Keep it fun and simple.
                              Yeah I have to agree with you there. Man those are good books.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChewyGranola View Post
                                Anyone read the Iron Druid series? It's a great example of an all myths setting. The main character is a Druid, plus he has interactions with vampires, werewolves, the Irish gods, Nordic gods, Mary, Angels, Demons, Bacchus' servants, witches that serve the Zorya, Coyote, Etcetera. no one worries about they why, they just are.

That is completely your opinion, and in your circles might fly beautifully; but there's enough of a community within Scion that enjoys the dicussions and enjoys the academic accuracy. Neither of the gaming ideals are wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X