Creating a fictional city for Scion and i need help furnishing it

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a fictional city for Scion and i need help furnishing it

So, in preparation to running a scion game, i've decided to take a page from some superhero setting and create a city for my players.

What i have so far.
    The city is a fictional Canadian city near the great lakes. For the name, someone on the forum suggested New Babylon and i really like it so i'm going with that.
    The city is known for 2 things.
    1- Its been one of the biggest destination for immigration in North America. The city is a center for multiculturalism and is a near chaotic mishmash of various cultural/ethnic district (with the Chinatown district right besides Little Ulster) .
    2- The city is also well known for the quantity of places of worship spanning the length of every faith imaginable.

Essentially, i'll be going for a mix of New York (immigration hot spot), Toronto (multiculturalism) and Montréal (high ratio of places of worship).

What i'm looking for:
    I need ideas for various locations, events, groups and peoples.

For example (the ideas dont need to be as detailed as my example):
    The Heorot Pub and Mead Hall.
    A bar that caters primarily to the legendary community (both heroic and titanspawn).The owner and bartender of the pub is the hero Beowulf and, surprisingly, the cook is his old foe Grendel (i like the idea that somehow they are friends now).
    Beowulf has a fair bit of knowledge about the hero community in the city. In the same manner, Grendel knows alot about the less hostile titanspawns in the city.

And as always thanks for the help.

Currently running: VtR - The most serene requiem of Venice
    Currently playing: Tomb of Annihilation (DnD5e) - Thulwir, Aasimar Circle of Dream Druid.

So is Beowulf a Demigod Einherji? Is Grendel a ghost?

What about a major Zoo, that has a subground superlayer bigger then the top with a mythical Menagerie that not only serves as a preserve for mythic animals but also a jail for monsters, and an orphanage for smart beasts. It could be the Menagerie of Saint Echidna. And the Zookeeper is a talking Lion with the body of a Gorilla and is a child of Echidna maybe beaten by one of the mythic Heraclides and rehabilitated by Cheiron into being a hero. He could us Raven spirits from the Manitou to help manage his Zoo.

Maybe a combined Science and History Museum run by a partnership between a Scion of Dhwty running the history portion, a daughter of Hephaestus running the science section, a Scion of Fuxi backing it with money and leading a panasian wing, and a Scion bastard of Loki who works as a tombraider finding and even stealing/smuggling relics and lore from all over the world. They could have Ghosts of famous professors, librarians, and archeologists involved in the museum over the last 200 years working as a night crew of researchers, professors, and security. Maybe the child of Dhwty helped perform some spells of the dead to preserve some ghosts in the afterlife, while the scion of Vulcan worked to download some ghosts into a secret supercomputer project to make them virtual staff in a virtual reality subrealm mirroring the museum that also works as a minideath realm/duat.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      So is Beowulf a Demigod Einherji? Is Grendel a ghost?
      I'm gonna be honest i didnt give more thought than Beowulf is a bartender and Grendel is the cook. I do want Beowulf to be at least Demigod lvl so that he can bounce however he wants from the bar. But the main thing for him is that he likes to tell stories and hear about them. The thing i planned is when players achieves their Deeds they can go to the bar and tell the story to Beowulf (ideally as epically as possible) and he gives one pint of his special mead (of which i'll think a mechanical effect later).
      As for Grendel he is definitively alive. I'd probably use the titanspawn creation rule for him even tho he isnt an hostile one.

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

What about a major Zoo, that has a subground superlayer bigger then the top with a mythical Menagerie that not only serves as a preserve for mythic animals but also a jail for monsters, and an orphanage for smart beasts. It could be the Menagerie of Saint Echidna. And the Zookeeper is a talking Lion with the body of a Gorilla and is a child of Echidna maybe beaten by one of the mythic Heraclides and rehabilitated by Cheiron into being a hero. He could us Raven spirits from the Manitou to help manage his Zoo.
      I love this idea. I also like how you mix characters from multiples mythologies like the child of Echidna being helped by a manitou spirit.

Currently playing: Tomb of Annihilation (DnD5e) - Thulwir, Aasimar Circle of Dream Druid.

Comment

At the time of Scion 1st edition, I thought about a bar accessible only by creatures with Legend too. The owner and author of the idea was a Scion of the Aesir, and the bar was the "larger in the inside" type. There was one themed ambient for each of the basic Pantheons.

But I must admit, your idea is much better. I like the ideas in here.

I thought about a dojo/martial arts school owned by one Incarnation of Sarutahiko or even Hachiman. The "underground circuit of street fights/gamble", however, would be under the wings of maybe one of the Shén, I think... It would seem like the Chinese "jianghu" idea, with a equalitarian comunity, not simple barbarians punching each other.

Comment

Put a ferris wheel over there in the corner.

It will keep the population happy, and may even provide opportunity for romantic scenes!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
            Put a ferris wheel over there in the corner.

It will keep the population happy, and may even provide opportunity for romantic scenes!

I don't know why, but for a sec here i read a Fenris wheel. Which would be far less romantic than the traditionnal kind.

Comment

Working...
            X