Ragnarok: Odin's Fault?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sessha View Post
    Now Feyr's death on the other hand doesn't seem to be born out of spite or anything like that. His death is just plain bad luck, that he would die Sutur's hands, of which included his sword being used against him.
    Keep in mind that's the sword he gave up to his second in order to court a giantess he only knew about because he sought out forbidden knowledge. Not quite a dick move, but kind of self-induced.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McCall View Post

Keep in mind that's the sword he gave up to his second in order to court a giantess he only knew about because he sought out forbidden knowledge. Not quite a dick move, but kind of self-induced.
      I'll grant you that one. It was a bit self-inflicted but not exactly in the same vein as the other Aesir. But it was more of one of those unintended self-inflicted wounds. Namely he wasn't exactly setting out to do something bad, or perpetuate something bad from happening, but just an unintended consequence of the adoptive family.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

What I heard in Sleipnir’s cade, the unnamed builder first deceived the aesir by hiding his nature as hrimthur. And asked not just for Freya (who is hardly “just a woman”) but the sun and the moon. And the aesir didn’t want to accept a deal like that, until Loki talked them to it. So I’d say this one’s on Loki’s fault.

EDIT: To avoid going beyond double post - last time I heard, the Aesir had Fatalism and Audacity as their virtues. Maybe Odin thought “Well, if Loki’s gonna kill us all, might as well give him a good reason to, other than just accidentally massacring us in a drunken fistfight or something, because that’ll be just silly” ?
        Yeah, the sun, the moon, and Freya. The aesir basically decided that an unreasonable fee demands unreasonable terms and gave him a crazy short time limit. The jotun then begged the use of his horse, and initially they refused but loki was all "oh let him have his horse, what's the harm."

Dick move on the aesir's part, maybe, but maybe giving the sun, moon, and everyone's favorite bad ass sexy war goddess to one of the beings that represent chaos and destruction would have been worse? (And yes, I do see the irony in the fact that jotuns represent chaos and destruction but one of them is building the aesir's wall.) Especially since the aesir did generally deal fairly with the more reasonable jotuns.

Pretty much loki exists in the myths to get the aesir in trouble, and in some interpretations to essentially do what odin would rather not risk being caught doing. Some people for instance think that Odin told loki to kill balder so that balder would be safe in hel and thus there would be someone to rule after Ragnarok.

Also, the aesir didn't just bind fenris because they were scared of him. (I don't think this is completely spelled out, but it's there if you look) He grew continually, and would never stop growing. And he has to eat, so eventually the only thing left for him to eat would be the world tree and everything on it. Odin couldn't kill him when he was young because wolves are holy to Odin, so the only thing left was to bind him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonchild View Post

Also, the aesir didn't just bind fenris because they were scared of him. (I don't think this is completely spelled out, but it's there if you look) He grew continually, and would never stop growing. And he has to eat, so eventually the only thing left for him to eat would be the world tree and everything on it. Odin couldn't kill him when he was young because wolves are holy to Odin, so the only thing left was to bind him.
          And binding him was supposed to stunt his growth like a bonzai kitten?

Which are fake, by the way. If you try to raise a cat inside a bottle, you are a monster!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

While the idea of bonzai kittens are horrible, I can’t help but laugh at the image of Fenris being treated like a kitten in any form.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Well, no, it was supposed to keep him from eating the universe. Notice that his mouth was the part that was bound.

And I realize keeping things from eating normally kills them after a while, but apparently it doesn't work that way with Fenris since it seems he's going to be alive at ragnarok. In hindsight, maybe my wording shouldn't have been "has to eat."

And I have never heard of a bonzai kitten.
              Last edited by Dragonchild; 05-07-2018, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonchild View Post

And I have never heard of a bonzai kitten.

They aren't real. But the story goes that some people raised cats inside of glass bottles and they stayed kitten size for their entire lives.

Comment

They aren't real. But the story goes that some people raised cats inside of glass bottles and they stayed kitten size for their entire lives.
                  I kind of figured it was something like that, but jeez there are so many things wrong with that that I feel dumber just reading it.

*post customary google search* oh. It was a satirical thing apparently.
                  Last edited by Dragonchild; 05-08-2018, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X