No announcement yet.

Pro Wrestling in Scion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all a really interesting idea, but seems like it might be a good way to end up with some undesirable fatebinding.

Comment

I forgot about Fatebinding. That would make Scions kinda rare then. Now i am wondering how legendary creatures like Oni could work as pro wrestlers.

Comment

Yeah. I mean, celebrity is a common enough thing for Scions, but kayfabe means that the average scion playing a face or a heel is going to run into a little trouble. I mean, as mere Scions it's not that bad; unless your deeds as Scion don't follow you to Demigod-hood and beyond, playing a heel in the ring is going to catch up to you eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Mockery View Post
          Yeah. I mean, celebrity is a common enough thing for Scions, but kayfabe means that the average scion playing a face or a heel is going to run into a little trouble. I mean, as mere Scions it's not that bad; unless your deeds as Scion don't follow you to Demigod-hood and beyond, playing a heel in the ring is going to catch up to you eventually.
          ​Yeah, I can see your point. If a Scion does decided to sign up as a wrestler, I can see most of them choosing to be a Face to avoid turning into a evil monster. I wonder how the rare few that sign up to be a heel can avoid faterbinding fucking them up to bad when it inevitably happens One scion wrestler I had was a female Scion of Amaterasu who happens to be heel. Her gimmick is basically her thinking she is some kind of divine noble because her mother happens to be the head of the Kami pantheon, which she actually kinda thinks is true outside the ring. As a result, she is portrayed as thinking herself to be Queen off the Heel locker room with all the non-mega heels under her beck and call. You can see why the mortal heels would probably want to listen to her. I wonder how badly fatebinding could affect her?

Comment

Combine mantles, full luchador, and a little bit of God of Magic. Have Fate Bindings attach to the mask. When the binding starts to get bothersome, retire and hand the mask to your (much less powerful/legendy) protege. Dunno if rules legal, but I would make it so passing the mask gives the new Luchador a little power buff to help fill the role, while weakening the fatebinding from "nasty and destructive" to "the heel gets his karma, but survives to do a heel face turn".

And I would want the fatebinding to mostly affect in the ring, with enough outside to protect kayfabe (one kayfabe break I remember was a heel and a face going to restaurants together. tsk tsk). Actually, depending how stories and fame affect Fate, I could see Fate start to enforce this structure, cause it's how all the stories go.

This does bring up a broader point, given a couple background assumptions for the "gods didn't go into hiding for 2000 years" scenario. First, if you have Zeus, Satyrs, and gods with similar... proclivities, you end up with a lot more children, halfbloods, and other offspring than you have visitations. (I assume a god has a limited amount of time & limited number of relics, and also plenty of paranoia: too many new Scions at once leads to fights, betrayal, and old gods getting kicked out. This ends up with a lot of mostly-humans who might have powers to go at it on a Hero level, but can't make the jump to Demi.) Now combine that with the sheer number of Gods of testosterone poisoning.

Enter: the GAMES and the divine talent scout. Whether it is the Olympics, Cold Cash War style war games, or pro wrestling - they are all ways to vent some steam, do rituals (if there is god who 'needz blud badly' you dedicate all the injuries to them), and generally show off in socially acceptable ways. Pluuus for the gods: would you rather visit one of your many children, make them Scions almost sight unseen, and hope things go well, or go to the GAMES and Visit an unknown-parentage Scion who excels in the areas you like? The non-scions who can still compete at this level can make good followers or retainers. So one part cool reality show, one part cheering stadium, one part valhalla prep.

Plus, you can use something like the Chinese civil service exam or Miss America as the same thing for non-fighty Gods. Add in underground illegal fight clubs, World Martial Arts Tournament, and Maker Faire. Hephestaus might not want to take the time away from his forge to sire a kid, when he can sponsor "Forged in Fire" and take a winner on as his apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
              I forgot about Fatebinding. That would make Scions kinda rare then. Now i am wondering how legendary creatures like Oni could work as pro wrestlers.

Considering that a core part of their mythology involves them being excessively strong, I imagine they'd make excellent sumo wrestlers.

Lifting, shoving and throwing 400 pound men around the ring is not something most athletes would be equipped to handle.
              Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-11-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpoonR View Post

Plus, you can use something like the Chinese civil service exam or Miss America as the same thing for non-fighty Gods.
                "The first rule of Fashion Club is You Don't Talk About Fashion Club."

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                X