Bön Pantheon of Tibet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bön Pantheon of Tibet

This is yet another pantheon I'm interested in that hasn't proven easy to research online. From what I have seen, they're really interesting though. There is a whole faction of monstrous and terrifying but benevolent deities of righteous vengeance and punishment of the wicked, who are quite badass and cool. There are also loads of demons and titans who are quite interesting, and overall I think they'd be a really interesting addition to the game. Does anyone have any info they can provide on them?

One of the books that gives some general knowledge on Tibetan + Mongolian mythology (which includes Bon!) is The Diamond Path by Michael Kerrigan.

Comment

Thanks Svarogg! I'll check it out.

Comment

Ever heard of this one? I think it might be a little up your alley, i guess.

Comment

I have not heard of that game, though I will definitely be checking it out.

I acquired The Diamond Path, and from it, I think I've found the figures who would serve as the core of the pantheon. The Four Transcendent Lords, the peaceful deities (Satrig Ersang, goddess of motherhood and peace, Shenlha Wodkar, god of wisdom and light, Sangpo Bumtri, god of creation and reproduction, and Shenrap Miwo, god of doctrines and teaching), and the five Wrathful Deities (Welse Ngampa, god of the body, Lhago Togpa, god of speech, Trowo Tsochog, god of the mind, Purba, god of action, and Welchen Gekho, god of excellence), would probably all be major gods and make up the most important members of the pantheon. There are a ton of other gods as well though, and I'm particularly interested in Khyung. Khyung is a ferocious bird-man, similar to Garuda, though more independent, (he doesn't appear to be somebody's mount). He's really kickass, but I don't know if he'd qualify as a major god or not. There's also a ton of races of nature spirits, some of which I believe are worshipped collectively. And there are a lot of demons, both major and minor, and the big ones would probably make great Titans, the species of minor ones probably being good Titanspawn. Overall, the more I learn about this pantheon, the more I think it would do awesomely in the game.

Comment

Not being well versed in this tradition - what would the degree of overlap be with the Palas (the Vajryana Buddhist Pantheon with Yidam as their PSP)?

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

These are the indigenous gods of Tibet who were later, at least partially, replaced with the Palas, who originated elsewhere. Some of them may have been adapted into Buddhism, I don't really know which ones, to be honest, but they would still have been region-specific to Tibet. Most of them probably weren't though, and certainly wouldn't have been "core" members of the Palas.

To sum it up, I'm sure there's some overlap, but their origins are independent and the Bön deities which were absorbed into the Palas would be Bön deities first, Palas second.
              Last edited by Wannabe Demon Lord; 07-07-2018, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Reading up on it, it seems an issue of heavy dispute whether Bon actually originates as a pre-Buddhist tradition, or if it arose in the 11th Century and claimed an older tradition. Given that the art would strongly support the Lha (pantheon name, Bon being the religion name) wielding Yidam as their PSP as well, I'm inclined to treat them as a related Pantheon to the Palas the way the Manitou and the Orenda are, with the Lha and the Palas each claiming to be the originals and the other as the offshoot.
                Last edited by glamourweaver; 07-24-2018, 03:22 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

That seems reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                  X