The Šiuneš - The Pantheon of the Hittite Empire 2e Homebrew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Šiuneš - The Pantheon of the Hittite Empire 2e Homebrew

Where did the fine linens go? The wine, and food? Servants to bathe, clean, and dress the mighty Šiuneš every day.... it has been so long...

Millennia have passed since their mortals ruled, conquering their neighbors from their fast-running chariots. The
    Šiuneš, Deities of ancient Ḫatti have haunted the mountainous lands of Anatolia for eons now. They were there to fight and then ally with the Netjer, forging an everlasting treaty, they clashed with the Anunna in their many shapes and destroyed their crown jewel, Babylon, and they watched as the Theoi, newly-arrived on the Scene, squabbled over their minor client kingdom, Ilium.

When their people faded, the Šiuneš found themselves relying on themselves for the first time in millennia, no one there to clothe them every day, bathe them, and feed them. They did not like this, the loss of their slaves. But, they stayed silent, waching the arrival of the Persians, the Prophet Zoroaster, the Dei, and the God of Abraham in His many faces.

The Pantheons stir, the bounds of the Titans weaken, and Kumarbi schemes once again. The Šiuneš will return, beings of Rage, of Judgement, the Masters of Humanity. Their fury threatens extinction, but their favor built one of the greatest powers of the ancient world.

Scion of the Thousand Gods of Ḫatti, the Šiuneš expect much of you. Serve the Divine, and Rule the Mortal. Escape the shadow of Ušḫuni, the Scion-turned-Titan, and restore the glory of Ḫattuša!

Hello everybody! I hope you are all enjoying getting to play Scion Second Edition!

We have an unofficial homebrew gift for you, the Šiuneš, the Thousand Gods of Ḫatti, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire. They are an amazing addition to the world of Scion, adding an elder, powerful Pantheon that has a unique relationship with their mortals that will be sure to create a lot of fun situations at game tables. At the moment they are built with the game available to people who have Kickstarted the project, and will be updated with the official release if necessary, as well as at Demigod and God.

We have provided here a retelling of the earliest Hittite Myth, what is effectively the Hittite Titanomachy, a brief rundown of historical, and cultural details for the Hittites, as well as everything you need to use them in your game. Major Deities, Minor Deities, Titans, Primordials, the Overworld, Underworld, Terra Incognita, some Birthright ideas, and a Hero-Tier Pantheon Specific Purview based around your servature to the gods, but your supremacy over the mortals.

If you like the Netjer, then the Šiuneš will be a great addition to your game, both Pantheons’ mortal empires were once enemies, but turned into intense allies with the signing of the first international peace treaty, extradition treaty, and generally a colossal step forward in international diplomacy.

If you like the Theoi, then the Šiuneš play an amazing foil to their arrogance, an elder neighbor that had the famed Ilium as a minor client kingdom. If the Theoi did it, there is a good chance that the Šiuneš did it first.

If you like the Titan v.s. Gods conflict, the Šiuneš are a great addition to utterly confuse the situation as a Pantheon where the dividing line between God and Titan is incredibly unclear, not due to their Titans being similar to the Gods, but because all of the Gods are exceptionally Titan-ish on their bad days.

If you have any questions about the Thousand Gods of Ḫatti, how to use them in your game, or want to share your thoughts and opinions, we are happy to listen and help where we can!

Up Next: Fresh-cut ginseng root, crows and magpies cawing, with the warmth of the clan all around.
    Last edited by Watcher; 10-21-2018, 11:39 AM.

Can i Hug you for this Watcher?

Comment

This is extensive. It's going to take me a while to sit down and read through it all, but wow. This is every bit as awesome as I hoped it would be.

Comment

This is an amazing piece of work, Watcher. Thank you for all the time and effort put into producing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
          This is extensive. It's going to take me a while to sit down and read through it all, but wow. This is every bit as awesome as I hoped it would be.
          Yes, the Shiunesh are our longest so far. All the others are in the realm of ca. 40-50 pages. Haven't thought about that before ...

Comment

I am very glad people are enjoying them! If anyone has any questions about them, myself and Sacerdos are always around. We hope people have fun reading about them, and learn a bit! Let us know how they go in your games if you wind up using them.

Comment

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Did you just dance around the whole multiple Enkis thing by using an alternative romanization for Ea? That is hilarious and awesome and ballsy and I'm kinda embarrassed that it took more than thirty pages for me to catch on. In other news, I adore this, thank you so much. A couple of things though; I think Kumarbi's creature entry was cut off, an you seem to switch between Istanu and Ishantu with no pattern that I could see. Also, may I suggest a sidebar that makes it clear that the War God (who gets mentioned a couple of times) and other, similarly referred to deities are gods that we just don't know anything about? As is, it kind of comes off as an error by the final writer/editor. Thanks a bunch again

Comment

Originally posted by Center-of-All View Post
                Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. Did you just dance around the whole multiple Enkis thing by using an alternative romanization for Ea? That is hilarious and awesome and ballsy and I'm kinda embarrassed that it took more than thirty pages for me to catch on. In other news, I adore this, thank you so much. A couple of things though; I think Kumarbi's creature entry was cut off, an you seem to switch between Istanu and Ishantu with no pattern that I could see. Also, may I suggest a sidebar that makes it clear that the War God (who gets mentioned a couple of times) and other, similarly referred to deities are gods that we just don't know anything about? As is, it kind of comes off as an error by the final writer/editor. Thanks a bunch again
                It's less that we are skipping around the multiple Enkis as that modern Hittite scholarship uses Ea to refer to the entity we lack a proper Hittite name for. The Hittites were kings at adapting things, and took a lot of Sumerograms and used them for their own religious systems. We are just following the example of modern scholarship there since it helps prevent a lot of confusion since Hittite scholars work closely with Mesopotamian scholars. I don't want to claim credit for it, people who know the field far better than I do came up with it!

Kumarbi's Creature section totally did get cut off, no clue how that happened, thanks for mentioning it! I'll fix it right away. And, yeah, the 'X Gods' are generally ones we know nothing about. I was intentionally leaving it in to try to keep some of the original oddity of the texts, and knowledge we have of the Hittites, but if it was serving as a point of confusion I'll absolutely add in a sidebar talking about it in the Nature of Divinity section. Thanks for pointing it out Center-of-All!

I'm glad you're enjoying it as well! Always happy to see people having fun with what we produce, it really makes all the time and effort worth it!
                Last edited by Watcher; 06-02-2018, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Do you guys think this Pantheon might look down on Scions born of humans more than others? If they think humans are nothing more than servants,even an Ascended one would have a hard time being accepted as a god?

Comment

My my...looks like I have something to read...(Presentation is well done)

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                      Do you guys think this Pantheon might look down on Scions born of humans more than others? If they think humans are nothing more than servants,even an Ascended one would have a hard time being accepted as a god?
                      While the Šiuneš do have a... not-great relationship with humans, I don't think they will ever look down on Scions born of mortal and divine parentage sheerly for the fact of Ušḫuni's existence. A powerful, sociopathic Titan who was a Scion originally. I think the Hittite Gods will never look down on mortal born Scions, but they might be very suspicious, and very cautious in their deals. Ušḫuni was a Pantheon-Tier threat, and is the only half-divine Scion that existed from what we know, and thus similarly born Scions will have to find their way out from under his shadow and free themselves of suspicion.

In general, the Scions of the Pantheon will be regarded as their servants first and foremost, a Scion will never find a loving child-parent or mentor relationship with the Hittite Gods (or Titans), there will always be this heavy division of expectation hanging over their heads.

If a Scion manages to undergo Apotheosis who is not born from two deities or Created, they will be the first one to ascend in such a way. The Hittite Gods will likely find this to be an extreme curiosity, and might have different methods to 'purify' a Scion undergoing Apotheosis such as by using one of their jars to seal away their mortal nature. If a Scion of the Hittites favors mortals too heavily after their Apotheosis, they will again return to living in suspicion as one of the first Titans to overthrow Tarhun was similarly benevolent, though through his extreme sloth rather than actual kindness. (If a Scion wants to be benevolent, the best thing they can do is handle it on a case by case basis during prayers, arguing in favor of mortal plights in their courtroom style prayers, and trying to learn how to calm down the other deities from their rages)

Comment

Some of the layout is a little off..(likely my Foxit pdf reader), and a few words aren't, anathematic should be anathema, but that's a bit nit-picky for something this well done.

Mankind was once an endangered species. It will likely be so again. And mankind will only have itself to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadowflame View Post
                          Some of the layout is a little off..(likely my Foxit pdf reader), and a few words aren't, anathematic should be anathema, but that's a bit nit-picky for something this well done.
                          I really sorry the layout is off! I haven't heard any complaints before, so it might be the reader? If you can PM me a screen shot I can compare it against what I have and let you know. If it is proving detrimental to reading it, maybe upload it to Google Drive?

And thanks for the catch on the Bogovi bit. I spent a while milling it over, since I thought it made more sense grammatically to have an adjective after a form of To Be, but apparently this is one of those weird things about English!

Have you enjoyed the Pantheon otherwise?

Comment

I'll double check things over the weekend...but yeah this is good stuff!
                            This particular pantheon seems to have similar attitudes with many of the Annunaki in regards with how humanity was treated. Although I dare say that the best humans could hope for in your Šiuneš pantheon is indifference. (I like reading the differences and seeing some of the parallels)

Comment

Well, now that I'm not trying to type on a Playstation, I can talk about this again. More thoughts and questions.

1. The setting material seems to imply that you presume worship in the Shiunesh is extinct or very nearly so, much moreso than implied for most pantheons in the new core. This seems especially blatant in the paragraph crossing pages 50 and 51. Was this divergence from the norm for this edition an intentional design choice on the part of your team, and if so, why did you make it? Or am I way off base?

2. Related to #1, if Shiunesh worship is so limited, why is Anatolia not an uninhabitable wasteland? This does not seem to be a pantheon that would take a lack of worship in good stride, and aside from that they're probably all hungry and smelly due to all the bathing and eating they're not doing as a result. Do you just assume that the Theoi/Yazatas/Tanrilar/whoever else I'm forgetting took up the slack (not with the eating/bathing, the other stuff)?

3. So, you evidently elected to put out this work solely in Scon 2e. Is it then reasonable to presume that Scion 2.0 is a functionally dead project, at least as a ruleset? What made you decide to go in this direction for your stuff?

4. A bit of a practical matter: how would you distinguish Tarhun from other thunderous god-kings in terms of characterization? I'm a bit under-educated on some of these, and struggle on how to keep him well-separated from figures like Marduk and especially Ba'al Hadad.

5. Is there anything interesting that you wound up cutting from the final pdf that you'd be interested in sharing or getting into more depth with?

6. I seem to recall that at one point, Watcher mentioned that both of the competing lineages in Hittite myth had both gods and titans in their ranks. This obviously changed at some point during the research and design process (unless I'm completely misremembering, or course). What compelled this change, and what figures had a different status in the earlier design?

and lastly, how is progress going on your group's next project? I'm really eager to see whatever pantheon is next on the docket for you. Thank you very much for your time.
                              Last edited by Center-of-All; 07-28-2018, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X