Origin Level play

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin Level play

So i know its early days, what with the core books not being out yet, but one of the things about scion 2nd ed that really interests me is Origin is going to have rules for playing Urban Fantasy games closer to mortal power level, but not horror (or at least not in the same way that CofD is).

I know its not going to a be a focus for release but do you think there will be source books for that level of play? like stuff on mythology related to the pantheons not in Origin that could be used in an Origin level game.

Is their a way to do origins with any kind of Scion buy a born one?

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
      Is their a way to do origins with any kind of Scion buy a born one?

Last I heard, 2nd edition allows for mortals to be chosen as a champion of the gods, thereby transforming them into Scions. You might have an origin story revolving around how your character earned their favor.

Not sure how you'd go about it with a created Scion, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
        Last I heard, 2nd edition allows for mortals to be chosen as a champion of the gods, thereby transforming them into Scions. You might have an origin story revolving around how your character earned their favor.

Not sure how you'd go about it with a created Scion, though.
        Created Scions don't have to know about their creation. A baby made of clay and breathed life into by a god, who is then left on the doorstep of devout worshippers who can't have a child of their own. Years later, the woman who was that child finds herself drawn into a vigilante battle against human traffickers who are, unbeknownst to her, servants of a Titan.

Or a devoted scientist tried to create an AI. After years of work, nothing. So she prays every night for inspiration, while descending further into obsession, eventually losing job, wife and family for the sake of "her child of the mind". So Athena acknowledges the sacrifice, blesses the work, and the robot lives, but has never met Athena and is just a weird Denizen until the day they do.

Incarnations don't know their own identity either, and it's possible to play out their journey to realization.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McCall View Post

Created Scions don't have to know about their creation. A baby made of clay and breathed life into by a god, who is then left on the doorstep of devout worshippers who can't have a child of their own. Years later, the woman who was that child finds herself drawn into a vigilante battle against human traffickers who are, unbeknownst to her, servants of a Titan.

I don't know.

From what I understand about 2nd edition visitations, the Gods no longer have to make a personal appearance to awaken your abilities. All you need is some kind of event, or a messenger who passes on that you're not entirely mortal. Then boom, you're a Scion.

I think once the adoptive parents tell their 3 year old child that they emerged from a cabbage patch, or that a stork delivered them, Fate might decree that it's time for them to start their journey.
          Last edited by Nyrufa; 06-03-2018, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I don't know.

From what I understand about 2nd edition visitations, the Gods no longer have to make a personal appearance to awaken your abilities. All you need is some kind of event, or a messenger who passes on that you're not entirely mortal. Then boom, you're a Scion.

I think once the adoptive parents tell their 3 year old child that they emerged from a cabbage patch, or that a stork delivered them, Fate might decree that it's time for them to start their journey.
            The section on Visitation in the Hero document describes it as "the divine intruding beyond signs and portents" and Fate driving the Scion to "a cataclysmic confrontation with their own Legend". I don't think telling a child odd stories is going to cover that, personally.

But in my example, I didn't say anything that needed the parents to recognize the divine nature of their child. A baby on the doorstep may be a gift from the gods, but it's a subtle enough gift that it doesn't speak to a divine nature.

To pull in an off-point example from myth: Moses is clearly chosen from birth (whether he's Chosen or not is immaterial). And his Fate is guiding him to become the man who frees the Israelites from bondage. But he doesn't confront that Fate until he meets a burning bush in the desert. Even if he knew he was found in the river (a clear divine sign to the Egyptians) it doesn't transform the course of his life until he encounters the divine directly in a tangible form.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McCall View Post

The section on Visitation in the Hero document describes it as "the divine intruding beyond signs and portents" and Fate driving the Scion to "a cataclysmic confrontation with their own Legend". I don't think telling a child odd stories is going to cover that, personally.

But in my example, I didn't say anything that needed the parents to recognize the divine nature of their child. A baby on the doorstep may be a gift from the gods, but it's a subtle enough gift that it doesn't speak to a divine nature.

To pull in an off-point example from myth: Moses is clearly chosen from birth (whether he's Chosen or not is immaterial). And his Fate is guiding him to become the man who frees the Israelites from bondage. But he doesn't confront that Fate until he meets a burning bush in the desert. Even if he knew he was found in the river (a clear divine sign to the Egyptians) it doesn't transform the course of his life until he encounters the divine directly in a tangible form.

Actually, I just realized something regarding Origin level characters. Since it's been revealed that Scions don't have to be exclusively humans anymore, but rather anything carrying the essence of divinity can become one, how exactly does this work for mythical creatures that become Scions?

I mean, it's pretty obvious right from the start that they aren't normal people, and probably have their own magical abilities before their visitation even happens. Kind of makes things interesting when you look at the (what I assume to be) ordinary humans with the same legacies.

Comment

Actually, I just realized something regarding Origin level characters. Since it's been revealed that Scions don't have to be exclusively humans anymore, but rather anything carrying the essence of divinity can become one, how exactly does this work for mythical creatures that become Scions?

I mean, it's pretty obvious right from the start that they aren't normal people, and probably have their own magical abilities before their visitation even happens. Kind of makes things interesting when you look at the (what I assume to be) ordinary humans with the same legacies.
                There's a Path for playing a sacred dog that talks like a human in the Origins book. And even pre-visitation Scions have special tricks in the form of Knacks.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

There's a Path for playing a sacred dog that talks like a human in the Origins book. And even pre-visitation Scions have special tricks in the form of Knacks.

No, I mean that Origin level takes place before your visitation, which means before you're officially recognized as a Scion. This makes sense for ordinary humans (or those who appear to be ordinary humans). But how does it work for somebody who is born and raised as a magical creature?

How exactly do you keep it a secret that they aren't normal mortals?

Comment

No, I mean that Origin level takes place before your visitation, which means before you're officially recognized as a Scion. This makes sense for ordinary humans (or those who appear to be ordinary humans). But how does it work for somebody who is born and raised as a magical creature?

How exactly do you keep it a secret that they aren't normal mortals?
                    You don't... There is no Masquerade, after all, so why would you hide it? People are perfectly aware that Satyrs and Fae and Apsara exist. You don't even have to hide it from the human Scions... One of the Origins characters was brought up from birth with the knowledge that she would be Chosen by Agni some day. She just hasn't been yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post

You don't... There is no Masquerade, after all, so why would you hide it? People are perfectly aware that Satyrs and Fae and Apsara exist. You don't even have to hide it from the human Scions... One of the Origins characters was brought up from birth with the knowledge that she would be Chosen by Agni some day. She just hasn't been yet.

No, no, I'm asking how do you hide it from the soon to be Scion. As I mentioned earlier, 2nd edition doesn't require the Gods to make personal trips to see their kids when conducting a visitation. They just need some kind of event that reveals them to be more than your typical mortal.

For somebody who is born and raised human, this is obvious. They go through life believing they're just part of regular society, and when their visitation finally happens, it comes as a surprise.

But if you're born and raised among the supernatural community, and you are inherently magical from birth, then your visitation shouldn't really be all that surprising.

Oh, your grandfather was a God? That's no shocker, about 1/4th of your family tree has had sex with a God at some point!

Comment

No, no, I'm asking how do you hide it from the soon to be Scion. As I mentioned earlier, 2nd edition doesn't require the Gods to make personal trips to see their kids when conducting a visitation. They just need some kind of event that reveals them to be more than your typical mortal.

For somebody who is born and raised human, this is obvious. They go through life believing they're just part of regular society, and when their visitation finally happens, it comes as a surprise.

But if you're born and raised among the supernatural community, and you are inherently magical from birth, then your visitation shouldn't really be all that surprising.

Oh, your grandfather was a God? That's no shocker, about 1/4th of your family tree has had sex with a God at some point!
                        Erm... You know Satyrs can just live down the street and own flower shops in the World right? Gods created the supernatural races, sure, but you know which is the most common supernatural race? Humans, which were created pretty universally by the Divine... Why would any random satyr or Jotun or Apsara think they're a Scion any more than a human, when they're all supernatural races created by the Divine? They'll just go about their own lives doing what they usually do (which can totally be holding down a 9 to 5 job btw) until the Visitation happens. And as I mentioned, that isn't even the case with humans all the time... There are totally people, including humans, who are brought up with full knowledge of their future Scion potential.

Edit: also, just to clear something up... Your Divine Parent doesn't have to personally oversee you Visitation, but you still need to be Visited... The God in question may not always do it directly, some of them may do it grudgingly, some may never reveal themselves to you while they're doing it, but they still need to Visit you.

Edit 2: Origins level pre Visitation perfectly human Scions are capable of sticking their hands into blazing furnaces, creating magical talismans, healing with a touch, scrying through objects, causing people who attack then to develop the exact same injuries spontaneously, minor shapeshifting and banishing people beyond the bounds of time and space, so I'm not sure it'd be that big a surprise to be honest.
                        Last edited by Samudra; 06-12-2018, 11:00 AM.

Comment

If just knowing you were special was enough to count as a visitation the Chosen, Created, and Terra Incognito Origin Paths would not be in Scion: Origins. One of the premade pre-visitation scions in the book even knows he's the son of Thor and has magic ravens following him around. Another of the premades remembers bits of a past life and that he has a grand destiny.
                          Last edited by milo v3; 06-12-2018, 10:49 AM.

Genius templates (for Demon: the Descent)

Rakshasa: the Kingdom (Featuring the Extinction Chronicle) [WIP]

Comment

It's probably worth pointing out here that not all supernatural creatures go on to be Scions. Kitsune, for example, can progress in Legend pretty well without beings Scions of Inari (or anyone else, for that matter), so there's still a difference between a Satyr knowing that it's supernatural and discovering that it's a child of Dionysus. As with humans, the vast majority of these creatures can live relatively mundane lives.

Comment

There's a difference between "Yeah I got some divine ancestry, so the legends say" or "I'm a kitsune, it's pretty neat", or even "Yeah, my dad's a God, he stops by sometimes" and that moment when you realize that you're a Hero.

Like. Zeus had a lot of kids. A lot. Not all of them were as big a deal as Hercules. Some people know that the divine is real and know how to read omens and the like, and not all of them will have that moment of clarity when Fate resonates with them, and they become a figure of their own Legend.

"I knew Dad was one of the Tuatha. I just didn't think that would mean I'd pick up a spear and start killing Fomorians."

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X