Ask a question, get an answer: Scion Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EmperorClydeIV View Post
    Question : You can buy extra Knacks, but you can only use a number of Knack equal to your Calling dots. But how do you manage which Knacks are "used" and which are not?

Does the player need to "equip" a set of Knacks at the start of the session and is stuck with this choice until the next session? How often do you let your players swap out their set of Knacks? Is there a cost associated?

Maybe I missed this information. If it's not specified, how do you manage this in your game?
    The way we have been playing it is to handle that as a part of the 'tweaking' that can be done between play sessions. I believe Scion: Origins refers to being able to swap in a new Knack that you have purchased so we assumed that would apply for picking which Knacks are available for your character.

Comment

• Yeah, you can swap your knacks between sessions.

A few GMs don't like making their players thinking they should know perfectly what they'll need, so many of them set it up so that you basically have blank slots and can assign them when you need it, but once you do that they're set for the rest of the session.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• Do you get the Innate Power for any purview you have access to, whether innate or channeled through a relic or guide, or only from innate Purviews?

Comment

• Originally posted by BacchicOne View Post
          Do you get the Innate Power for any purview you have access to, whether innate or channeled through a relic or guide, or only from innate Purviews?
          Any Purview you have access to. If you can perform a Marvel from it, you have the innate power (so always if the Purview is inherent, but you can lose it if it’s tied a Relic you lose possession of, or if you fall out with your Guide).
          Last edited by glamourweaver; 11-15-2018, 12:08 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• Can anyone clarify "Not a Fighter" the heroic lover knack? What defines a partner - is any party member a partner? and what does the additionally refer to...all of it, or just the second part?

Comment

• A doubt about Knacks and numbers in Character Creation.

The book says: "Choose three Callings (p. XX). At least one of your
              character’s Callings must come from their divine patron’s
              three Favored Callings.
              Your character receives two dots in one of their
              Callings and one dot each in the other two."

Ok. That makes think in:
              Calling 1 **
              Calling 2 *
              Calling 3 *

Later, in the Finishing Steps Stage, it says: "[...] and either two additional Knacks or four points of Birthrights at this point in character creation."

I tried to suppose that these additional Knacks would mean additional Calling points too, but most of the Ready Characters are more like:
              Calling 1 ***
              Calling 2 *
              Calling 3 *

Where is this aditional point in Calling 1 coming from?

Another thing: I'm really missing something or most of the Ready Characters are missing some points in Birthrights. Most of them I see as having 6 or even 5 points in BRs.

Another thing (2): What means the "Pantheon Permission" in the Ready Made Characters?
              Last edited by Hayashi; 11-16-2018, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZipDrive View Post
                Can anyone clarify "Not a Fighter" the heroic lover knack? What defines a partner - is any party member a partner? and what does the additionally refer to...all of it, or just the second part?

I suppose that "partner" in this means "ally", another member of the Band, etc. The text also uses "this effect", so I think it refers to the disengage bonus.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hayashi View Post
                  A doubt about Knacks and numbers in Character Creation.

The book says: "Choose three Callings (p. XX). At least one of your
                  character’s Callings must come from their divine patron’s
                  three Favored Callings.
                  Your character receives two dots in one of their
                  Callings and one dot each in the other two."

Ok. That makes think in:
                  Calling 1 **
                  Calling 2 *
                  Calling 3 *

Later, in the Finishing Steps Stage, it says: "[...] and either two additional Knacks or four points of Birthrights at this point in character creation."

I tried to suppose that these additional Knacks would mean additional Calling points too, but most of the Ready Characters are more like:
                  Calling 1 ***
                  Calling 2 *
                  Calling 3 *

Where is this aditional point in Calling 1 coming from?

Another thing: I'm really missing something or most of the Ready Characters are missing some points in Birthrights. Most of them I see as having 6 or even 5 points in BRs.

Another thing (2): What means the "Pantheon Permission" in the Ready Made Characters?

1.) I believe that the extra Calling point comes from character creation in Origin. It just isn't spelled out really well.

2.) Check the errata thread. It is closed but someone may have reported this already.

3.) Not sure where you are seeing this. Can you point to a page reference?

Comment

• Originally posted by saedar View Post

1.) I believe that the extra Calling point comes from character creation in Origin. It just isn't spelled out really well.

2.) Check the errata thread. It is closed but someone may have reported this already.

3.) Not sure where you are seeing this. Can you point to a page reference?

3.) The Ready-Made Character Sheets themselves. So, p. 173, 175, 177, 179.

All of them have "Pantheon permission"s in their "Effects" session.

4.) (?) What happens when a Tuatha breaks a geis? He/She just... Gets another?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hayashi View Post
                      4.) (?) What happens when a Tuatha breaks a geis? He/She just... Gets another?
                      After they lose all their Legend Points, yes.

And just gonna once again relink this FAQ I put together a bit ago

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• If I want to create an Origin character having a Wizard concept (something like Harry Dresden from Dresden Files) that can do minor tricks, could I get the Birthrights options in character creation to have some relics with Purviews, and use Boons from these Purviews working Marvels like the Denizens do in Scion Hero?

If not, can the Bitrhrights have some kind of "power" that emulates a Boon without needing Legend?
                        Last edited by Oxcelot; 11-19-2018, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxcelot View Post
                          If I want to create an Origin character having a Wizard concept (something like Harry Dresden from Dresden Files) that can do minor tricks, could I get the Birthrights options in character creation to have some relics with Purviews, and use Boons from these Purviews working Marvels like the Denizens do in Scion Hero?

If not, can the Bitrhrights have some kind of "power" that emulates a Boon without needing Legend?
                          RAW Harry’s probably at Hero level power wise.

None of what you’re asking for is currently in the rules (they may be later when Sorcerers get their own supplement)*, but obviously ask your GM!

* From Neall’s comments on the Discord it seems that there were planned to be more info on Sorcerers, but the concept developed to the point where they have such viability as PCs that they need more in-depth stand alone rules. In theory they’ll span the power spectrum from mortal occultists at Origins level all the way up to Baba Yaga at God level.
                          Last edited by glamourweaver; 11-19-2018, 05:42 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• I'm very confused by the tension pool - is there a maximum? I've read somewhere (can't remember) no...but Traitor's resolution says fill the Tension pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

RAW Harry’s probably at Hero level power wise.

None of what you’re asking for is currently in the rules (they may be later when Sorcerers get their own supplement)*, but obviously ask your GM!

* From Neall’s comments on the Discord it seems that there were planned to be more info on Sorcerers, but the concept developed to the point where they have such viability as PCs that they need more in-depth stand alone rules. In theory they’ll span the power spectrum from mortal occultists at Origins level all the way up to Baba Yaga at God level.

Thank you. I'm Storyguiding a newly campaign of Scion Origin, and we didn't fleshed too much the world, but we're taking heavy inspirations from Dresden Files because in our campaign the Supernatural World doesn't have the mask, but it is not much present. It will become more present because of the player characters awakening. After the first "quest" I'll let the players change things in their characters if they feel it would be better, and one of these characters is a Priestess of the Moon, daughter of Tsukyomi. We were thinking about making some kind of sorcery or similar because of the character background.

I was thinking, and maybe we could use relics for marvels, but instead of paying legend, the Storyguide could get Tension everytime an Origin character tries to "do magic".

Comment

• Hi all, had our first 2nd: Origins yesterday and for the most of it I really like how the new system works as a whole (we made several mistakes of course but all in all it was pretty refreshing). I know everything now is more about storyguiding/telling than about actual combat but I had several questions about some of the stunts/effects:

1. Within the first few fights I've found that every single one of my mooks (most of them having 2 healths because of Group tactic) were just being poked (as per the 0s ''inflict damage'') and tripped to the ground (as per the 1s ''trip). They would then try to rise up from prone and most likely instantly taken out by trying to do so (as per the ''rising up from prone'' rule). My question is: is it too easy to just put everyone to the ground for 1 mere success, or did I build my encounter wrong?

2. Can a pinned target (as per the ranged attack 'pin'' (variable success) stunt) use pin against someone else or does he need to resolve his condition first to apply any?

3. Some poisons or flairs (like Dread gaze) can cause the ''paralyzed'' status. Does a paralyzed target still benefits from his natural 1 defense or is he considered helpless?

Thank you for you time

Comment

Working...
                                X