Ask a question, get an answer: Scion Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pls, delete this post. The following has made already including quotes
    Last edited by Hayashi; 11-25-2018, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironskin View Post
      Hi all, had our first 2nd: Origins yesterday and for the most of it I really like how the new system works as a whole (we made several mistakes of course but all in all it was pretty refreshing). I know everything now is more about storyguiding/telling than about actual combat but I had several questions about some of the stunts/effects:

1. Within the first few fights I've found that every single one of my mooks (most of them having 2 healths because of Group tactic) were just being poked (as per the 0s ''inflict damage'') and tripped to the ground (as per the 1s ''trip). They would then try to rise up from prone and most likely instantly taken out by trying to do so (as per the ''rising up from prone'' rule). My question is: is it too easy to just put everyone to the ground for 1 mere success, or did I build my encounter wrong?

2. Can a pinned target (as per the ranged attack 'pin'' (variable success) stunt) use pin against someone else or does he need to resolve his condition first to apply any?

3. Some poisons or flairs (like Dread gaze) can cause the ''paralyzed'' status. Does a paralyzed target still benefits from his natural 1 defense or is he considered helpless?

Thank you for you time
      Not a great wise as the rest of this forum myself, but lets see how can I help.

1. p. 118 has the modifiers to "being prone/laying on the ground". Basically, you get more defense against ranged attacks (what is good), but get in trouble if you have someone at melee (and that's bad. Supposing the mook has just being tripped, I think that's really bad for him).

2. For being pinned, the target must first suffer a grapple. To pin someone, you must to be in control of the grapple, so I think not. The target would have to first have to recover from the pin (v. 1), start a grapple against someone and then pin the other guy.

3. Also got me confused. I would say that a paralyzed target has Defense 0, but that would not make a HUGE difference. OR, I would say that he has Defense 1, but can not make Defense Stunts.

Comment

• If one is making a character somewhat in the mold of a classic West European style wizard, could Forge be used as a spellbook instead of, well, and actual forge or alchemical lab? Also, if one were interested in a fantasy-world campaign, which of the Pantheon-specifc Purviews would work best for Western European/D&D-style magic?

Comment

• Most iconic D&D spells would be done via other Purviews rather than a PSP, but Heku I think along with the Netjer Pantheon Motif is going to come the closest to western high ritual magic. I can think of a lot of Marvels you could do with someone’s true name, summonings, banishments, etc.

That said, Metamorphosis has the obvious potential of bringing sorcery common in Western fairy tales to bare (in large part because a lot of those fairy tales are influenced by Greco-Roman myth, Ovid’s Metamorphosis in particular!)

A spell book Relic would be a good way to add your own Motif for alchemy and ritual spellcraft.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• It might have been answered before, but I couldnt find anything, so I am gonna ask directly: if you have a Relic that gives you access to a Purview, but no Boon on that purview, do you still get the Innate Powers of that Purview?

Thank you everyone for your attention and answers, have a Merry Christmas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manbat View Post
              It might have been answered before, but I couldnt find anything, so I am gonna ask directly: if you have a Relic that gives you access to a Purview, but no Boon on that purview, do you still get the Innate Powers of that Purview?

Thank you everyone for your attention and answers, have a Merry Christmas.
              Indeed you do have access to the innate regardless of if you have the boon or not. Not only with purview accessed with relics but with purview from guides as well.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes
              Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post

Indeed you do have access to the innate regardless of if you have the boon or not. Not only with purview accessed with relics but with purview from guides as well.
                Yeah, if you’re capable of doing Marvels with a given purview (whether it’s your inherent Purview, you possess a Relic, or are favored by a Guide), you have the Innate automatically, Boons or not.

That of course means if you lose the Relic or have a falling out with your Guide you lose the associated Innates.

Comment

• Thank you for the answer, it greatly helps.

Also, as I am asking, I just noticed that all the characters in the book have 2 boons, besides having only legend one. Do you know why?

// I found the answer of my own question. For some reason, I never read the Boons description on the character creation, just the legend levels that say that legend one has one boon.
                  Thank you everybody anyway.
                  Last edited by Manbat; 12-24-2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manbat View Post
                    Thank you for the answer, it greatly helps.

Also, as I am asking, I just noticed that all the characters in the book have 2 boons, besides having only legend one. Do you know why?

// I found the answer of my own question. For some reason, I never read the Boons description on the character creation, just the legend levels that say that legend one has one boon.
                    Thank you everybody anyway.
                    Yeah that should get caught in the last round of errata. The number of Boons should be Legend + 1

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

• I'm reviving this discussion with a question: Do you guys have ideas about what Titans or titanspawn could be related to vampires? I'm thinking in making a vampire cult that wants to free a titan or titanspawn. What do you think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxcelot View Post
                        I'm reviving this discussion with a question: Do you guys have ideas about what Titans or titanspawn could be related to vampires? I'm thinking in making a vampire cult that wants to free a titan or titanspawn. What do you think?
                        The Etruscan/Roman Titan Manae (Death) springs to mind.

Mayans have hostile death titans associated with underworld bat demons with night and blood sacrifice associations that would conflate nicely. Hun-Came and Vucub-Came would be the Ki’che version as Lords of Xibalba where you also get Camazotz and his ilk. Ah Puch for the Yucatec version.

Comment

• It is not mentioned that Poseidon had a wife, but he did have a wife known as Libya which bore him several sons. Why is this not mentioned and how can I incorporate them?

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
                          -Zhuangzi

Comment

• Libya, if I am not wrong is a mortal/scion, granddaughter of Zeus (like half of the kings in myths). Probably Poseidon turned her into Demigod so she could live with him in the bottom of the see, and they had 2 sons that are somehow important as their grand(...)grandsons are Perseus and Dionizus. Otherwise, there is not much about Libya.

Comment

• Okay, I looked into it more, and maybe they are saving it for the Imazighen mythology, as there are records or contact between them and Greeks in history.

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
                              -Zhuangzi

Comment

Working...
                              X