Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outline Of Scion Companion

Neall has been kind enough to share the outline of the Scion: Companion
    In the last ks update. We'll also see preiew Art for the Theoi and a discussion on differentes modes of Play.

Bottom line,Scion is getting Awesomer by the bloody minute

The modern day Theoi is great, exactly how i'd imagined them if they were a modern family.

Curious on what the other Pantheons would look like

Comment

Awesome all around.

The Theoi look perfect, the Companion outline gives hope just by reading it and everything indicates this gameline will be a true wonder.

And Ahriman will be there in a shape that fits it. That bastard. Sorry, I just got something in my eyes

*wipes off tears of joy*

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Okay just read the outline, have to say i'm a little amazed and in awe about the amount of detail, that while broad goes into so much depth of what the developer wants in the book, definitely hypes me up for not only when the companion comes out but also Origin and Hero which are coming very close.

The idea of tones was very interesting, and also clicks some things to me. It always bothered me with how the Shen were written that they were very different to other Pantheons, this makes so much sense.

Very curious of the Nemeton, they seem to turn up to be very good, so is the Yazata. Very curious to see what direction they take it.

Very excited for more explanation on Mantles, I think i almost get it but more stuff on it would be lovely. Also once Mantles are built they exist independent from the Gods? Then what are Gods with no Mantles? What would be there identity? Do the Nemeton Incarnates have Mantles or are they rebuilding their Legends to reclaim their old ones? That's just what i'm wondering?

Anyway much fun, and much excited

Comment

It does sound like with the relative independence of Mantles, Incarnate Scions of still living gods are possible PCs. Given my druthers I’d like to see that reflected in the weakening of most Gods (someone else has one of their Mantles!) so it’s rarely something they’d do on purpose - but give the Deva a God-level Yoga boon that lets them Incarnate while alive without reducing themselves (hence Avatars), and when the Scion achieves Godhood, they become an entirely new Mantle of the greater whole.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

One very minor disappointment is it looks like they’re treating Erzulie as a single goddess, when according to the practitioners I’ve spoken to, Erzulie Freda and Erzulie Dantour are AT LEAST as distinct from each other as Papa Legba and Kalfu. Probably more so!

Were it my call, I’d make Erzulie Freda a mantle of Oshun, while Erzulie Dantour is a Haitian originated Scion who spun off her own Mantle (the Petwo being much more Caribbean rooted, while the Rada tend to be closer to their Yoruban origins - Shango being a strong outlier in this regard).
            Last edited by glamourweaver; 06-04-2018, 04:34 PM.

Comment

New Blog post about the Scion Companion, expanding on a few points from the outline.
              mysteries of the world

Comment

I'm intrigued by the idea of being able to split the world setting up into differing levels of mythical exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                  One very minor disappointment is it looks like they’re treating Erzulie as a single goddess, when according to the practitioners I’ve spoken to, Erzulie Freda and Erzulie Dantour are AT LEAST as distinct from each other as Papa Legba and Kalfu. Probably more so!

Were it my call, I’d make Erzulie Freda a mantle of Oshun, while Erzulie Dantour is a Haitian originated Scion who spun off her own Mantle (the Petwo being much more Caribbean rooted, while the Rada tend to be closer to their Yoruban origins - Shango being a strong outlier in this regard).
                  That's definitely how I plan on doing it in my game.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

Comment

There's a bit more of a preview in the latest update.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Mummy 2e; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon (TBA) | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

Covenant purview looks great, I hope there’s a component at least at higher levels where the God can get some empowerment from the mortals upholding their end of the bargain, &/or ways it’s application is negatively affected by mortals breaking their side of the deal.

Speaking of higher levels, I also hope there are plans for updating the Companion Pantheons and Purviews for the Demigod and God levels.

Comment

I'll be honest, I am a bit anxious about Covenant. The Scion Discord had a complete discussion and breakdown of all figures who have Tutelary functions of a specific place, group of people, or profession and the result was massive. If the baseline is Athena, an absolute overwhelming ton of Deities have a stronger claim to Tutelary function than she does. The final count from myself, Sacerdos, and Samudra was, without taking profession patronage in account for all of these:
                        • Netjer
                          • Amun: Thebes.
                          • Ra: Heliopolis.
                          • Ptah: Memphis.
                          • Wesir: Abydos.
                          • Aset: Philae.
                          • Set: Ombos, Pi-Ramesse.
                          • Heru: Hierakonpolis, some temporary capitals, and just the pharaohs in general.
                          • Anpu: Kynopolis, Abydos.
                          • Dejehuty: Hermopolis.
                          • Het-Heru: Dendera, Aphroditopolis, too many others to name.
                          • Sekhmet: Memphis.
                          • Bastet: Bubastis.
                          • Sobek: The entirety of Faiyum.
                          • Khnum: Elephantine.
                        • Kami
                          • Amaterasu: Imperial Line.
                          • Susano-O: Half of Japan.
                          • Hachiman: Minamoto family.
                          • Takemikazuchi: Fujiwara family.
                          • Ame-no-Uzume: Obscure priestly family.
                          • Okuinushi: Half of Japan.
                          • Benzaiten: Arguably the Taira.
                        • Teotl
                          • The Black Tezcatlipoca: Texcoco.
                          • Quetzalcoatl: Tollan, Cholollan.
                          • Huitzlopochtli: Tenochitlan.
                          • Xipe Totec: Possibly for a tutelary association with the Zapotecs and Yopi.
                          • Cihuacoatl/Itzpapolotl: Too many to count.
                          • Mixcoatl: Too many to count.
                        • Túatha Dé Danann
                          • The Three Brigid Sisters: Smiths, Physicians, and Poets.
                          • Dian Cécht: Seems to be the patron of physicians in he is the mythological founder of Bretha Dían Cécht, the Judgements of Dian Cécht which are a collection of rules, regulations, and medical traditions.
                          • Goibniu: Everything I said for Dian Cécht but for Smiths with his own law tract.
                          • Eiru (and her sisters): All of Ireland.
                          • The Morrígan: As the version presented is a merged collection of all of the War Furies, Macha would have it for Emain Macha, thus she would have it.
                          • Donn: Patron of some peoples in the West of Ireland, though this is more into the folkloric period.
                          • Manannán mac Lir: Need to reread Cormac's Glossary to be sure, but I'm fairly sure there's mention of him being worshiped by different sea based professions as a tutelary figure.
                        • Devá
                          • Ganesh: Mumbai.
                          • Kali: Kolkata, Kartikkeya, Tamil people.
                          • Lakshmi: Kolhapura.
                          • Parvati: So, so so so many.
                          • Shiva, Varanasi.
                          • Sarasvati: Historically Kashmir.
                          • Varuna: Sindhi Hindus.
                          • Practically every Deva is a Tutelary God of a city somewhere or a small clan.
                        • Orisha
                          • Oduduwa: Ife.
                          • Eshu: Arguably Ketu.
                          • Shango: Oyo.
                          • Ogun: Ire.
                          • Oshun: Oshogbo.
                          • Erinle: Sacerdos couldn't remember the name but there is a city they found and patronize.
                        • Theoi
                          • Zeus: Olympia, all of Greece.
                          • Hera, Argos and a ton of others.
                          • Poseidon: Corinth, Athens.
                          • Demeter: Eleusis.
                          • Athena: Athens, a ton of others.
                          • Ares: Rome when worshiped as Mars, the Roman Legions as Mars, from an outside perspective assigned as the patron of the Thracians, Amazons, and many others.
                          • Apollo: Delos, Delphi, lots of cities, tons of professions.
                          • Artemis: Sparta, Ephesus, so many others they are the most popular city patron figure.
                          • Hephaestus: Lemmos.
                          • Aphrodite: Cyprus, Rome as Venus, tons of others.
                        • Aesir
                          • Freyr: The Ynglingar.
                          • Frigg: Something going on with the Langobards.
                          • Forseti: Something with the Frisians.
                          • Lots going on with specific tribal groups.
                        Oh, and the Anunna and Ilhim will all have Covenant due to traditions of sacred cities and population groups.

Comment

I’m not seeing a problem. Applying Purviews consistently to parent-patron Gods is basically a nonexistent issue, because you’re never going to get everyone to agree on a consistent standard, and every table can easily add or subtract with no difficult mechanical wrangling.

Sure, at my table Apollo has Fortune, Zeus doesn’t, and has Order instead. But that’s not a problem with the text. It’s not really needed to go back an retroactively apply every new Purview everywhere it can fit, because if it’s needed for a table to do so, then it’s easy to apply it.

Comment

I do totally agree with that! (I would even argue that it is impossible for there to be a consistent standard, and we should intentionally avoid one as each Pantheon ought to be treated individually on their own terms. What makes a Túatha Dé Danann qualify for Epic Strength is a far lower bar than with the Theoi for instance!) I may have explained the issue that was raised poorly.

Covenant is going to be such a popular Purview that it is almost just a part of being a God rather than a specific God specialized in. Where Pantheons might have their God of Night, Goddess of Kingship, Goddess of the Hunt, or Deity of Storms, being a Tutelary God is something that is... 'attached' to a God almost. If almost every single God should have Covenant, should it be something... different?

Should it be a Purview? Or should it somehow be just connected with Divinity? Something like how there are Knacks unbound to a specific Calling (such as Scent the Divine). I believe having powers like this is important, but I feel like it being a Purview is going to be strange when it's essentially just part of being a God for... a vast majority of all the Pantheons we will see in Scion. In my professional opinion for instance, almost every single possible member of the Nemetondevos is defined by the Covenant Purview, it being their primary aspect. (The exception is Cernunnos who did not function as a Teutates as far as we can tell)

If almost every single God has a serious claim to the Purview, should it just be something everyone can have? Just as part of being a God? Or Demigod even?
                            Last edited by Watcher; 09-29-2018, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X