Second Edition Strength Chart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Edition Strength Chart

Does anyone else have a problem with the way strength is being dealt with? First we have to roll to lift anything which seems to go against the theme of "roll when its interesting" but we're also not given any context for what a certain level of strength represents.

Secondly the chart is REALLY inconsistent. 3 successes allow you to lift two microwaves? really? 10 allow you to lift and throw a car? A human character with strength athletics 10 and the right equipment/situation has a real chance of throwing a car... or of being unable to lift 2 microwaves...not that that ever actually comes up (also, what kind of microwaves are we talking here? 1.1cuft? 2.0cuft?.

Is this an "easy fix" yeah, I can just borrow from CoD and allow everyone to carry up to their Strength x 25 lbs and use the lifting chart from the same book. it just keeps sticking in my craw that this is an issue at all. I mean, even running speed is accounted for in the movement section and the movement system is FAR more elegant than the lifting one.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

I think the thing about "roll when it's interesting" still applies here. It's just a guide for what happens when you do roll. I figure if I were a storyguide, I wouldn't ask you to roll to pick things up unless the act of picking it up was dramatic - if you're just gonna throw the car, and you have Epic Strength, then roll to throw the car. For lifting a big stone door as the room is collapsing, though, that's a roll. Similarly, the athlete you describe would pick up those two microwaves without a roll unless there seems to be a reasonable chance of failure with consequences. Thus, if she's been shot in the arm and wants to throw them in a fight. Could probably still make it, too.

Comment

That's fare.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

Comment

*goes off to practice lifting their microwave....*

*comes back*

Huh, I was not aware they were that heavy!

Comment

Working...
        X