Why the changes to Donnie?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the changes to Donnie?

I really prefer the 1st edition version of Donnie. I really dig the general vibe of the new characters, especially the ones who are defying stereotypes. However, since Donnie seems to be the only 1E character we are getting a write-up on (at least, to my admittedly poor recollection; several are depicted in the art but don't get write-ups). For me, this is similar (obviously not exactly the same in many respects) as the Peter Parker/Miles Morales debacle from Spiderman Unlimited. It wasn't that Miles wasn't a cool character, but deciding to kill Peter off and introduce us to this whole new character mid-run threw a lot of fans. Why didn't Miles just get his own book, or been the direction Unlimited took from the beginning? In a similar vein, why do we have this new spin on an established character, instead of a completely new character? For me, this is especially puzzling when one considers we have so many new characters in this new edition?

Originally posted by Malckuss View Post
    Why didn't Miles just get his own book, or been the direction Unlimited took from the beginning? In a similar vein, why do we have this new spin on an established character, instead of a completely new character? For me, this is especially puzzling when one considers we have so many new characters in this new edition?

It was my understanding that Miles DID get his own book. He's from an alternate universe, meaning his Peter Parker is not the same as our Peter Parker.

Marvel and DC both like to do elseworlds stories every now and again. Just wait like 10 years or so for them to once again reboot the franchise and things will be back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
      It was my understanding that Miles DID get his own book. He's from an alternate universe, meaning his Peter Parker is not the same as our Peter Parker.
      While it is true his Peter isn't the same as ours, he replaced his Peter in the book Unlimited Peter debuted in. He did get his own book later.

I think my biggest beef is the inconsistencies in the art; some of the art depicts him looking more like his 1E self, and then other pieces have him looking like a Macy's department store mannequin.

Comment

Probably to show how a 1st ed character would translate to 2nd edition, which is done best with a familiar and popular character. The alternative, of course, is not to have any more Donnie, since the old game and rules are defunct. And art will always be subjective and inconsistent when multiple people interpret one character.

Comment

Eric Donner, the sample Scion of Thor, is also from 1e... and it might help if you specified what changes you're talking about... a vague 'why's he different' isn't a very helpful question.

Comment

He doesn't seem especially different, really. So far he seems less whiny and less manipulative which makes me like him better, but the character always had that potential. This just seems like best version of Donnie.
            Last edited by Thrythlind; 07-13-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrythlind View Post
              He doesn't seem especially different, really. So far he seems less whiny and less manipulative which makes me like him better, but the character always had that potential. This just seems like best version of Donnie.
              I mean he's not a rich brat who hates his dad and judges his mom for having an active sex life, there's that.

Not that I'm complaining about the changes. Hell I like this Donnie. His sheer Egotism in the intro fiction is glorious.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                His sheer Egotism in the intro fiction is glorious.
                Kieron Gillen certainly knows how to pull that off well

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

While it is true his Peter isn't the same as ours, he replaced his Peter in the book Unlimited Peter debuted in. He did get his own book later.

I think my biggest beef is the inconsistencies in the art; some of the art depicts him looking more like his 1E self, and then other pieces have him looking like a Macy's department store mannequin.

Well, even in 1E, consistency was kind of a problem. 1E Seth had like 4 depictions over the course of the books. A skinny human form, a skinny human form covered in scales, a hulking lizard man, and a buff human with a cobra's head.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Well, even in 1E, consistency was kind of a problem. 1E Seth had like 4 depictions over the course of the books. A skinny human form, a skinny human form covered in scales, a hulking lizard man, and a buff human with a cobra's head.
                    Isn't that his progression from hero to God tho?

Comment

Originally posted by Iceblade44 View Post

Isn't that his progression from hero to God tho?

If it went, human, scaled, cobra, then yeah. But half way through, they just make him this giant, reptilian meat tank in a pic of the protagonists fighting Kane's group.

Comment

I really prefer the 1st edition version of Donnie. I really dig the general vibe of the new characters, especially the ones who are defying stereotypes. However, since Donnie seems to be the only 1E character we are getting a write-up on (at least, to my admittedly poor recollection; several are depicted in the art but don't get write-ups). For me, this is similar (obviously not exactly the same in many respects) as the Peter Parker/Miles Morales debacle from Spiderman Unlimited. It wasn't that Miles wasn't a cool character, but deciding to kill Peter off and introduce us to this whole new character mid-run threw a lot of fans. Why didn't Miles just get his own book, or been the direction Unlimited took from the beginning? In a similar vein, why do we have this new spin on an established character, instead of a completely new character? For me, this is especially puzzling when one considers we have so many new characters in this new edition?
                        Why don’t you just say what you think is different with Donnie that is bothering you?

Also there was no “debacle” with Spider-Man. Miles was such a popular character that he was one of the only heroes from his universe to make the transition to 616 when they stopped publishing Ultimate titles. Legacy heroes are a norm in comics, but strangely no one complains about Bucky becoming Cap like they do Sam becoming Cap - so I have a hard time taking such complaints seriously.
                        Last edited by glamourweaver; 07-13-2018, 06:56 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

...am I missing something..? Does Donnie actually get a write-up?

Or, do you just mean the portrayal of Donnie from the opening fiction?

Anyway, as far as Donnie's go, I prefer this one. There wasn't really a lot of actual depth beyond old Donnie. Even his time in the spotlight in the Demigod fiction didn't really make me particularly like the character, for all that I particularly liked the story, where as Apple made me buy in pretty much immediately.

But... tastes are tastes. Everyone likes different things. Still, it's got to sting a bit, especially since Eric changed in much smaller ways. I assume anyway. Honestly, intro story or not, we honestly don't really know anything about Donnie's backstory at this point.

Comment

I for one didn't care for the old Donnie at all, but holy shitapples did the ending win me over, so I am more than happy with him.
                            A character with far more depth in just this prologue compared to all of the Donnie fiction of 1ed, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post
                              Eric Donner, the sample Scion of Thor, is also from 1e... and it might help if you specified what changes you're talking about... a vague 'why's he different' isn't a very helpful question.
                              Sorry for the delay. I hate looking for work. It sucks up so much time I could be doing things I actually enjoy. But one needs funds.

I apologize for the he confusion I caused. Eric Donner is the character whose art design has left me puzzled, not the guy from the initial fiction piece. I thought it might have been due to the knack Fluid Appeal, but Eric doesn't have that. The only thing I can think of is the images of him as the smaller figure is due to him being depicted as younger/earlier on his heroic journey. It still is very jarring.

Comment

Working...
                              X