Judging Power Level

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judging Power Level

Hi everyone! First time storyteller for Scion, but long-time DM for D&D and other systems. I am having a huge amount of trouble figuring out how powerful villains should be to fight my new group. Does anybody have a general rule of thumb for number of adversaries and XP value versus number of heroes and XP level?

Before anything are you playing first edition or second?

I forget a lot about first so I can’t talk about that but if second Scion really doesn’t have EXP levels, it is instead structured around tiers, Mortal tier, Hero tier etc. and thus the antagonist models are based around those levels. You will have mooks being structured in this way for Mortal, they are structured like this for Hero etc

Comment

There's no substitute in Scion 2e for just uh, well, trying it out. There are a lot of variables at play as to how difficult something is to take out and the biggest one is going to be how well or how interested your party is in using team work. Groups that just want to wait each turn to roll their dice and swing and hit are going to really, really struggle against anything much bigger than a Mook tier in 2e. Groups need to fail and collect momentum then hook up for that big teamwork hit where someone channels their Path and you smack the baddie for a big combo hit and stunt.

So, we can't answer without know your groups playstyle and their tactics.

Characters are both strong and fragile at the same time. It's a tough spot to be in if you're closely married to D&D.

I recommend the following...Do a trial combat (combat only) against these three scenarios and it'll tell you most of what you need to know:
      --5 mooks
      --2 professionals and 2 mooks
      --1 villain and 3 mooks

Comment

And remember, if you put out an encounter and your players are just cleaning up, you can spend Tension to promote an NPC up a level to shake things up

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by displacerkitten View Post
          Hi everyone! First time storyteller for Scion, but long-time DM for D&D and other systems. I am having a huge amount of trouble figuring out how powerful villains should be to fight my new group. Does anybody have a general rule of thumb for number of adversaries and XP value versus number of heroes and XP level?

If you're going by 1st edition, you might wanna home brew Epic Attribute mechanics, since the system falls apart once you hit Demigod level. Apparently, Dexterity builds became practically invincible, due to how many automatic successes they got.

Not sure what the mechanics are for 2nd edition, though.

Comment

Working...
          X