Backer version of Hero just dropped!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backer version of Hero just dropped!

And it is beautiful! I will spend the rest of today rereading it for the art alone.

Few art pieces are missing, but yeah gotta love the art.

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
      Few art pieces are missing, but yeah gotta love the art.

I can't decide if I should note that in the errata thread or not

Edit: it wasn’t coming through on my reader, but there are apparently notes that say “art in process”, so no it’s not needed as errata.

But apparently the ancient Tuatha art doesn’t show any of the care toward cultural accuracy that the other pantheons do, so that’s very disappointing.
      Last edited by glamourweaver; 10-18-2018, 05:18 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

OK: so Sorcerers were removed from Origin (except as Antagonists) because they're too reliant on the Purviews to be doable without access to Hero. Fair enough. But they've been left out of Hero, too. Oversight, or deliberate? If the former, is it too late to correct it? If the latter (or if the former and it's too late to correct), when can we expect to see them?
        Last edited by Dataweaver; 10-18-2018, 06:27 PM.

Comment

I'm only on the Aesir pantheon, and I'm really confused by the art piece representing them as gods. There's some Aesir that are immediately identifiable: Thor, Odin (though he looks like pirate Gandalf at first glance), Tyr, Loki (amused by the Marvel-esque horned helmet), Hel, etc. But some that are just not..especially the women. None of them seem to match the descriptions by book or myth. If that's supposed to be Frigg next to Odin's throne, that slinky blue Elsa dress is far from "matronly." Same with who I presume Freya hanging out down by Tyr, who is also described in the book as matronly, but is wearing a tight sleeveless low-cut dress; at least she has the ginger hair from her description. I think that's supposed to Sif holding the rabbit, but where is her golden hair? You know, the very thing she is most famous for in Norse mythology? Or she the one standing by Odin's throne because that lady is blonde and Frigg is the one holding the rabbit. Is it a even a rabbit? Actually, I can't quite tell what animal it is... it just kind of blends in with her dress. See, now I'm just confused... not that it's hard to do with me.

The artist clearly spent a lot of time and effort on the Aesir, and it's quite lovely as a stand alone piece, but since it's a book illustration and is describing specific characters, it doesn't quite fulfill the job it needs to. I don't think the artist paid attention to the descriptions, assuming they got descriptions at all. I wasn't the biggest fan of the old Pantheon drawings from first edition, but at least I could figure out which god was which from the descriptions in the book.
          Last edited by Doryna; 10-18-2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand Brittain
            The art is better than Origin for the first chapter, but unfortunately, this book has some absolutely dire art. Most of the pantheon pieces are just terrible, and there are plenty that are so horrible I can't believe they're even there, like the one on page 286. I'd put the art as 33% good, 33% great, and 33% absolutely wretched.

Hopefully some of this stuff gets replaced before the actual final version comes out. Right now it's even worse than Exalted 3e was at first press.
            I'm pretty sure Ex3 was worse, though for more reasons then just design

Comment

Hopefully some of this stuff gets replaced before the actual final version comes out. Right now it's even worse than Exalted 3e was at first press.
              Ehh... there's a fair amount of bad art here, but I don't think it's Exalted bad. It's really hard to outbad the original 40 cakes. Also, hopefully nothing has been plagiarized, and there are still some "heavily inspired" pieces in the final sale version of Exalted. And while there's a fair share of bad art, none of it that I've seen so far looks like it was made in 15 minutes with a 3d model posing program, and some of that made it into the final Exalted version too.

Originally posted by Doryna View Post
              If that's supposed to be Frigg next to Odin's throne, that slinky blue Elsa dress is far from "matronly." Same with who I presume Freya hanging out down by Tyr, who is also described in the book as matronly, but is wearing a tight sleeveless low-cut dress; at least she has the ginger hair from her description. I think that's supposed to Sif holding the rabbit, but where is her golden hair? You know, the very thing she is most famous for in Norse mythology? Or she the one standing by Odin's throne because that lady is blonde and Frigg is the one holding the rabbit. Is it a even a rabbit? Actually, I can't quite tell what animal it is... it just kind of blends in with her dress.
              I'm guessing that Freya is the woman holding the animals, which to me looks like cats? Freya's cart/chariot is sometimes described as being pulled by cats, so that's my assumption at least. That said, she's dressed the most conservatively, and she's traditionally the Norse's lust goddess so... that does seem off. Could be Frigg? But I'm not really aware of a cat connection. The blonde's got to be Sif. Pretty much the only mention she gets in the whole mythology is the color of her hair.
              Last edited by HighPriest; 10-18-2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

How did you guys like Eric Donner's story?

Comment

Dropped for backers?

Comment

Originally posted by omenseer View Post
                    Dropped for backers?
                    Yes the formatted text with most of the art is linked on backerkit. Crowd sourcing errata for it as we speak,

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

The pantheon signature preview for the Theoi Metamorphosis the second boon transfigure has the duration listed as Instant. However it talks in the boon about it lasting for Legend 1+ characters a time and trivial characters it being permanent.

So it says Instant but then last chapter starts with “at the end of this boon.” So when is that it it’s instant? Also, I guess it’s a SG call but do you think they can do anthro forms or other oddities like happen in myths all the time?

Comment

That’s probably errata. Put it in the errata thread so we can see whether that is intentional or not

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                          How did you guys like Eric Donner's story?
                          Haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but I am damned excited to see he's going through a Forge path (at least by the character sheet). Donner was the first time in my near 30 years of rpging that I used a pregenerated character. I played him from Scion to God, and I went the Forge route (well as best I could with Knacks etc). I'm stoked to see that the second go around is following that. Fits with his personality and history.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot." Sandman (Neil Gaiman)

Comment

The art is better than Origin for the first chapter, but unfortunately, this book has some absolutely dire art. Most of the pantheon pieces are just terrible, and there are plenty that are so horrible I can't believe they're even there, like the one on page 286. I'd put the art as 33% good, 33% great, and 33% absolutely wretched.

A lot of this art is brutally bad (or like, clearly unfinished), but most of these Pantheon spreads are horrid. What's with all the like, photoshop-y looking faces and weird airbushing? The Netjer have an okay-ish one, though Bast's cat face is awful, and why they went for "puffy human face" and a "drying my armpits" pose over "cow head" for Het-Heru is a mystery to me.

Also, because I'm only really qualified to blab about the Netjer:

Section looks good, and a lot better than the draft I raised a stink about ages ago. I'm not quite sure why the Bast writeup seems to suggest she has two names and only presents one, or why it lists Sekhmet as an alias of hers only to devote an entire sidebar to them being different deities.

I'm not sure why they went for the mob boss of the dead who helps people return to life in exchange for favors angle on Wesir. Like I said in the past, the Netjer are a pantheon where death is final, where even Wesir himself could not return to proper life among the living! Such a weird angle, and one that clearly just feels like Hades with an Egyptian hat.

Very glad we got Ma'at as allied Titan, that the cosmology all got cleaned up, and that the Path Skills ditched Deception.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Also, am I blind, or are there no mechanics for the various types (Born, Chosen, etc) of Scion?

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Working...
                              X