Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backer version of Hero just dropped!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    This is probably me just being sensitive due to the fact that I am a modern day Kemetic who is a followet of Bast, but making Bast an alcoholic really confused and upset me. I don't understand why Bast was chosen to be the goddess of prophecy, when Bast is mainly a protector goddess as She is an Eye of Ra.
    That being said, it made me very happy to see Bastet as a different goddess in her own right due to many reasons, mostly the Romanization and strange modern beliefs of the dance/perfume/sex connection.

    Comment


    • #32
      I think the alcohol connection comes from the tale where the lion goddess (variously given as Bast or Sekhmet) wiped out most of humanity at the behest of Re, until she was tricked into drinking enough wine to render her unconscious, thus saving us from extermination. The association of Bast with celebration and revelry also ties in with drink. Prophecy might simply be a way to make her a bit more cosmopolitan for purposes of the game it would also make you a better guardian if you know what's coming.

      Comment


      • #33
        So I might be missing something, but in the Hero preview there are a bunch of black circles in boxes around the character creation section. Is that how its supposed to look? Its like: Box Black Circle next to the words Character Creation example, then actual example.
        My first instinct was to put it in errata, but I don't know if I'm missing something on this and figured I'd ask.

        Comment


        • #34
          Those black spaces are places art will be but isn’t ready


          Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

          Comment


          • #35
            Okay not sure if this is Errata needed or not but I wanted to ask here. If people think this should be Errata please say and I will repost.

            Okay, so regarding upgrading a Origin character to Hero, it looks like the option in origin to take 2 additional knacks is RAW far worse than taking 4 points of birthrights if you know your game will move to Hero.
            As hero states on page 171 your Knacks cap at owning 5, so if I have brought the extra 2 I only gain 2 more. But this isn't the same for Birthrights at 7, it doesn't say that is a cap.
            Does this mean I can buy 4 dots of birthrights at the Origin level, then get an extra 7 when I hit hero for a total of 11? This also seems like a problem for a protracted Origin game, buying knacks is at a serious disadvantage if the XP you spend on them is ignored when hitting Hero as you level up to 5 knacks anyway, but your allies who brought Birthrights just get more and can match you on knacks.

            Am I misreading this?
            It feels like it should be gain 4 new Knacks and 7 birthrights - but without the limit that is put on knacks, instead just the limit of 5 active knacks at once.


            Find my Homebrew so far here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
            So far its Demon Merits, Vampire 1e to 2e ports and a Knowledge collection mechanic for the Ordo Dracul!

            Comment


            • #36
              I haven't received any e-mails on this, and I can't seem to access my backerkit account. Does anyone have any advice?

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Purple Snit View Post
                I think the alcohol connection comes from the tale where the lion goddess (variously given as Bast or Sekhmet) wiped out most of humanity at the behest of Re, until she was tricked into drinking enough wine to render her unconscious, thus saving us from extermination. The association of Bast with celebration and revelry also ties in with drink. Prophecy might simply be a way to make her a bit more cosmopolitan for purposes of the game it would also make you a better guardian if you know what's coming.
                The prophecy thing at least isn't upsetting. Weird but not upsetting. However, it was definitely Sekhmet who drank beer dyed red. Sekhmet was originally a form of Het-Hert that came out when She was asked to punish the humans by Ra. Bast had nothing to do with it. But again... I respect that this is a sensitive subject for me. She is my Mom. She means a lot to me. Worshipping Her saved my life. I just gotta compartmentalize.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by shkspr1048 View Post
                  I haven't received any e-mails on this, and I can't seem to access my backerkit account. Does anyone have any advice?
                  Go here: https://scion-2nd-edition-tabletop-rpg.backerkit.com/ Put in the same email you used for the Kickstarter, and you should get an email with your special unique code.


                  I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                  An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                  Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by roleplayrose View Post

                    The prophecy thing at least isn't upsetting. Weird but not upsetting. However, it was definitely Sekhmet who drank beer dyed red. Sekhmet was originally a form of Het-Hert that came out when She was asked to punish the humans by Ra. Bast had nothing to do with it. But again... I respect that this is a sensitive subject for me. She is my Mom. She means a lot to me. Worshipping Her saved my life. I just gotta compartmentalize.
                    My understanding is that that is one version of the story, and that there are dozens if not hundreds more, some versions which do put a link between Bast and Sekhmet.

                    The Kemetic stories have many different variations that have cropped up over the literal millennia of the Egyptian history and culture. Neall has mentioned many a time in the Discord that trying to stick to an ideal singular Mythic Truth is especially difficult, or damn near impossible to achieve, as these stories have shifted and evolved in countless ways throughout history.

                    I mean, the first version I heard of the Sehkmet story is that she was born from Re directly when he removed his eye, and Bast or Het-Heru (depending on your version) was born from Sehkmet after she got drunk. Whose version is right? The answer is probably "If you had a time machine and could go back to the right era and ask... You'd probably get a dozen answers depending on what region you hear the story in"

                    To be clear, I feel for you and am sorry that this hurt you. But the problem is that there's really no One True Myth that was written down and has endured since, for anything. Stories change with their cultures.

                    That said Neall doesn't have the budget to allocate Canon Enforcement Ninjas. If you want to shift Bast's Purviews around a bit then by all means, go ahead.
                    Last edited by Kyman201; 10-23-2018, 02:24 AM.


                    Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Has there ever been a religion that doesn't have factions, contradictory stories, and entirely disparate teachings? Take what you want from your faith - what it gives you is what's important.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Overall just not happy with the Netjer.


                        Call me Regina or Lex.

                        Female pronouns for me, please.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by LordofIron View Post
                          It feels like it should be gain 4 new Knacks and 7 birthrights - but without the limit that is put on knacks, instead just the limit of 5 active knacks at once.
                          Yeah, I suspect the "bring your total knacks known to 5" thing in that chart is probably an outdated part of character creation that snuck in from a previous version, as I agree that it's a bad deal for people who went with or chose to learn more knacks with Origin XP. You should check to see if there's an errata in the errata thread already, or post one if there isn't.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

                            My understanding is that that is one version of the story, and that there are dozens if not hundreds more, some versions which do put a link between Bast and Sekhmet.

                            The Kemetic stories have many different variations that have cropped up over the literal millennia of the Egyptian history and culture. Neall has mentioned many a time in the Discord that trying to stick to an ideal singular Mythic Truth is especially difficult, or damn near impossible to achieve, as these stories have shifted and evolved in countless ways throughout history.

                            I mean, the first version I heard of the Sehkmet story is that she was born from Re directly when he removed his eye, and Bast or Het-Heru (depending on your version) was born from Sehkmet after she got drunk. Whose version is right? The answer is probably "If you had a time machine and could go back to the right era and ask... You'd probably get a dozen answers depending on what region you hear the story in"

                            To be clear, I feel for you and am sorry that this hurt you. But the problem is that there's really no One True Myth that was written down and has endured since, for anything. Stories change with their cultures.

                            That said Neall doesn't have the budget to allocate Canon Enforcement Ninjas. If you want to shift Bast's Purviews around a bit then by all means, go ahead.
                            Yes... Kemetic stories often contradict and all are true. I realize I am just being sensitive. I just struggle due to the fact that for me Bast is Bast and Sekhmet is Sekhmet and they don't have a lot in common. Buuuuut... I concede that they are both ancient divine beings and after a few thousand years the stories become muddied. And again... All the stories are true, even when they contradict. I am not saying Neall or anyone else did a bad job. I haven't read the whole book yet but I am digging the vibe quite a lot.

                            Kemetic myth is complex, particularly when you consider that the state religion and the personal religion were vastly different. So... Yeah. But I just had to pout a bit.

                            Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                            Overall just not happy with the Netjer.
                            Atamajakki what didn't you like?
                            Last edited by roleplayrose; 10-23-2018, 09:42 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Will the final version have more bookmarks related to Purviews and Boons? Having only two, one for general Purviews and one for Pantheon Purviews, seems like too little considering how many there are.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused by the Aesir art. I think the author went overboard with redheads. The text is solid though, I feel a better sense of who many of the gods are than I did in 1st edition.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X