[Homebrew] Scions of the Forgotten Realms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Homebrew] Scions of the Forgotten Realms

Likely this has been done before, but now that we have Hero proper we can extrapolate to our heart's content.

Basic idea I've had was we play a game of Scion, but the PCs are all scions of the forgotten realm deities. What would be the specialized/personal purview of each of the major pantheons [Human, elf, dwarf, etc] ? Any unique Callings or Birthrights?

There are a lot of fallen or dead gods, so playing one one who has picked up the lost mantle could be fun.

The only thing I was able to come to were virtues of Office and Ambition. Because all the gods tend to have their personal plans limited and desires by the requirements of their office.

Like Mystra isn’t allowed to just deny magic to evil casters. And the good gods in general have been unable to lobby for the removal of the Wall of the Faithless.

Comment

That is a pretty solid idea. I had forgotten about their Virtues, which i guess is a good place to start. Yeah, I could see Office vs Ambition because many of the god were once human who obtained divinity, only to be shackled by it. The Genie and the lamp situation. Infinite cosmic power, it-bitty living space.

I would need more reading, but we could go with "Nobility" as the main purview of the human pantheon. This is less about ruling and more about being the first among equals. Where as the Drow pantheon could be"Viciousness" or "Cruelty". A purview seems to be the control an entire pantheon has in coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrythlind View Post

Like Mystra isn’t allowed to just deny magic to evil casters. And the good gods in general have been unable to lobby for the removal of the Wall of the Faithless.
        Actually, I thought the Wall was torn down some time around the events of the Spell Plague, or something like that?

Edit: But actually, a Forgotten Realms setting might work, since they actually have instances where real world pantheons have crossed over into the Forgotten Realms, and some of our deities have even assumed new identities there.

Sharess, if I'm not mistaken, is actually Bast, of the Egyptian pantheon.
        Last edited by Nyrufa; 10-23-2018, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Actually, I thought the Wall was torn down some time around the events of the Spell Plague, or something like that?

Edit: But actually, a Forgotten Realms setting might work, since they actually have instances where real world pantheons have crossed over into the Forgotten Realms, and some of our deities have even assumed new identities there.

Sharess, if I'm not mistaken, is actually Bast, of the Egyptian pantheon.
          She’s Bast but the nation they were worshipped in was conquered and they were pushed out for a while. She went on walk about, absorbed the mantle of a fading Elven goddess of dancing and sensuality as a way to look after her worshippers. Then she had a dalliance with Shar who almost devoured her. She was snapped out of that relationship, I think, by Tymora. Maybe. Forget which god rescued her. After that she became the goddess of hedonism and pleasure. There’s supposedly a group of Werecats worshipping her that hunt evil things, especially servants of Shar.

Comment

PSPs are generally “how that culture views magic”. By that I would ignore arcane and divine magic as that feels more like it has the position of technology in our world.

So I’d look at the practice of invoking the Gods when doing something in their purview. A rebel might build a shrine to Bhaal after slaying a corrupt minister in an attempt get the god to turn eyes away from her.

A sailor appeases Umberlee. A wizard acknowledges Azuth when doing research. Etc.

All that implies the superstition and invocation is something involved with acknowledgement of the appropriate god to seek a nudge in your favor or against your enemies.
            Last edited by Thrythlind; 10-25-2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrythlind View Post
              PSPs are generally “how that culture views magic”. By that I would ignore arcane and divine magic as that feels more like it has the position of technology in our world.

So I’d look at the practice of invoking the Gods when doing something in their purview. A rebel might build a shrine to Bhaal after slaying a corrupt minister in an attempt get the god to turn eyes away from her.

A sailor appeases Umberlee. A wizard acknowledges Azuth when doing research. Etc.

All that implies the superstition and invocation is something involved with acknowledgement of the appropriate god to seek a nudge in your favor or against your enemies.

I'm not thoroughly informed about how magic works across all the D&D settings, but I believe in the Forgotten Realms, divine magic is performed by the mortal using their body as a conduit through which to channel their deity's power.

Apparently things are different in Eberron, where divine magic is powered by the strength of the mortal's faith, and doesn't actually require the aid of a deity to perform it.

Comment

I'm not thoroughly informed about how magic works across all the D&D settings, but I believe in the Forgotten Realms, divine magic is performed by the mortal using their body as a conduit through which to channel their deity's power.

Apparently things are different in Eberron, where divine magic is powered by the strength of the mortal's faith, and doesn't actually require the aid of a deity to perform it.
                The issue is magic in a Scion sense re: PsPs is not what D&D calls magic.

So how divine magic doesn’t feel like should be how the PSP should be based. That’s just manipulation of the weave.

For a scion pantheon of Faerun I would look more at the culture and folklore of things.

Comment

Obviously Scion and Forgotten Realms is not a 1:1 conversion. However basic are there. You have culture that venerate gods, variations on those cultures, and primordial beings that could act as Titanspawn. On that note; Demons, Devils, and Celestial could easily be the various Titan Spawn. Many of the native mystical creatures would be Titanspawn as well.

Clerics would not be Chosen Scions. However, the old concept of the Chosen (as in Mystra and Bane) would be "Chosen" Scions.

I love Purviews and how they work in Scion 2nd Ed. I guess, for fun, we could list out the various gods and their Purviews.

Comment

Lord Ao would be either a (relatively) friendly Titan or a Primordial. If we're talking 1e then the Abyss could handily serve as a Titanrealm, although I don't know what concept it would represent since canonically there is/was no such thing as a simple 'Titanrealm of Evil'. In 2e it could either be a (somewhat) hostile Primordial or one of many Underworlds. I suppose demideities translates straight into Demigod, which is neat.

Beyond that, its difficult to develop most D&D deities as Scion deities because of how narrow their portfolios can be. Its like how the Theoi have a god for literally everything and you probably have a crap ton of Legend 10 Gods with, like, 1 or 2 Purviews/Callings but even worse because in Forgotten Realms these aren't minor deities. Sure, you have some like the following who aren't too bad, even if they are a little plain:

Lolth: Animal (Spiders), Darkness, Chaos, Trickster, Deception
                    Akadi: Sky, Liminal, Journeys
                    Bane: War, Chaos, Warrior, Order, Leader

But then you have others like... Mystra, who is very important, but is the deity of magic, which... just does not translate over to Scion well at all. The only thing I can think to give them would be, like, Sage. And let's not even get started on the Zakharans.

And all this without even touching on the issue of non-human deities...

EDIT: Some thoughts on other D&D settings
                    Birthright would be pretty compatible in terms of fluff/lore/story/themes/etc
                    Dark Sun might serve as good inspiration for a world where the Titans won the Titanomachy without destroying absolutely everything.
                    Eberron might be interesting
                    Planescape would be interesting 'in the chinese sense of the word'
                    So would Ravenloft
                    Last edited by Crying; 10-27-2018, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Crying View Post
                      Lord Ao would be either a (relatively) friendly Titan or a Primordial.

He could also be an agent of Fate, considering that he keeps a list of every God and their purviews, as well as having the power to promote and demote Gods on a whim. Last time somebody tried to steal his list, his response was to kick everybody out, until it was returned to his possession!

Plus, I believe that Ao is supposed to be an allegory for the Dungeon Master, anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Crying View Post
                        Lord Ao would be either a (relatively) friendly Titan or a Primordial. If we're talking 1e then the Abyss could handily serve as a Titanrealm, although I don't know what concept it would represent since canonically there is/was no such thing as a simple 'Titanrealm of Evil'. In 2e it could either be a (somewhat) hostile Primordial or one of many Underworlds. I suppose demideities translates straight into Demigod, which is neat.

Beyond that, its difficult to develop most D&D deities as Scion deities because of how narrow their portfolios can be. Its like how the Theoi have a god for literally everything and you probably have a crap ton of Legend 10 Gods with, like, 1 or 2 Purviews/Callings but even worse because in Forgotten Realms these aren't minor deities. Sure, you have some like the following who aren't too bad, even if they are a little plain:

Lolth: Animal (Spiders), Darkness, Chaos, Trickster, Deception
                        Akadi: Sky, Liminal, Journeys
                        Bane: War, Chaos, Warrior, Order, Leader

But then you have others like... Mystra, who is very important, but is the deity of magic, which... just does not translate over to Scion well at all. The only thing I can think to give them would be, like, Sage. And let's not even get started on the Zakharans.

And all this without even touching on the issue of non-human deities...

EDIT: Some thoughts on other D&D settings
                        Birthright would be pretty compatible in terms of fluff/lore/story/themes/etc
                        Dark Sun might serve as good inspiration for a world where the Titans won the Titanomachy without destroying absolutely everything.
                        Eberron might be interesting
                        Planescape would be interesting 'in the chinese sense of the word'
                        So would Ravenloft

There certainly would be a good deal of overlap in some areas. However, think of it more like the Chinese Pantheon. They have many, many gods. As I said the broad strokes are there and most of the gods fill a particular niche.

I could see Mystra as having the following Purviews: Artistry, Liminal, Stars, Trickster, and you could adapt the Aesir signiture Purview of Wyrd to cover Magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Bioagent View Post

There certainly would be a good deal of overlap in some areas. However, think of it more like the Chinese Pantheon. They have many, many gods. As I said the broad strokes are there and most of the gods fill a particular niche.

I could see Mystra as having the following Purviews: Artistry, Liminal, Stars, Trickster, and you could adapt the Aesir signiture Purview of Wyrd to cover Magic.

Not just many Gods, but many different planes of existence as well. Heck, I could see the Elemental Planes being the primary residence (or even the very embodiment) of the Greater Titans.

Comment

I could be down with that. This other plans easy to fit as Overworlds and various other habitats for godly beings.

Comment

Not just many Gods, but many different planes of existence as well. Heck, I could see the Elemental Planes being the primary residence (or even the very embodiment) of the Greater Titans.
                              Yer work there is already done for you. There are already beings not unlike titans who exist in the Faerun pantheon; Kossuth (fire), Grumbar (earth), Akadi (air), Istishia (water). These four aren't actually gods, they're "elemental overlords" of their respective planes who are nonetheless powerful enough to function as gods. In theory they actually exist beyond Faerun, but are worshiped there by some of the people as greater deities. Not that they actually care, the books specifically point out that only Kossuth seems to actually pay any real heed to his worshipers.

Comment

Working...
                              X