The Enduri - The Pantheon of the Manchu People 2e Homebrew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Enduri - The Pantheon of the Manchu People 2e Homebrew

Once upon a time, there was nothing but endless sky, endless earth, and endless light. Once upon a time, there was only the warmth of a hearth-bed to take one through the freezing night. Once upon a time, the tribes fought and the clans enslaved each other. Twice, great China was conquered and twice the people forgot their Goddesses. But all empires have crumbled, and still they are there, still their dance continues.

The Enduri are the Goddesses of the Manchu, they were their Goddesses already when they called themselves Jurchen, and even before. Their people have had many names, and none ever described what they were. Was it someone who spoke their language? But today, it has all but disappeared. Was it someone who kept to their rites? But so often, even the foremost among their people have abandoned. So who were the Manchu? Who are they? And who are the Enduri?

Emperors. Conquerors. Slavers. Slaves. Most of all, survivors. Survivors of a hostile land, of destruction, and of glory that makes humans greedy and mad. And throughout all, the Enduri have been the ones who stayed with them, have received them back whenever they returned from their sojourns into foreign faiths. And as long as each tribe stands united, as long as there is praying in the dark, that is who the Enduri will remain.

There’s more to fight than that, though. There’s Yeluri, a dread fiend of the Goddesses’ own creation, and forever they, that evil that transcends male and female, right and wrong, cunning and madness, will oppose them, will seek to crush everything they hold dear. That is the burden of the solemn creatrix Abka Hehe as well - the resentment of the created.

Now, as all Pantheons grow stronger than ever, as the dead return and the living rear, the Enduri find themselves surrounded by old enemies and new foes - the Shen that they’ve tried to get the better of for centuries, the Buddhas that eclipsed them, the Kami that humbled them, and so many more whose names they are hearing for the first time. But the Enduri are ready. They are the ones whose drum is the sky, whose drumstick is the mountain, whose song makes the world, and whose dance shapes it. They are the ones that will be forever, that will always push through.

Hello everybody! I hope everyone is still enjoying playing Scion Second Edition now that the Backers have access to Scion: Hero!

We have another unofficial homebrew gift for you to go along with the Šiuneš from earlier this year: the Enduri, the Goddesses of the Manchu people. They are an awesome addition to any Scion game, especially one where the Shén are playing an important role as both Pantheons have a tense relationship of violence and cultural exchange. Especially since the Pantheon is primarily comprised of powerful women, a stark contrast to the majority of other Pantheons in the game which are male-dominated. At the moment they are built with the game available to the people who have Kickstarted the project, and will be updated with the official release if necessary, as well as at Demigod and God.

We have provided a retelling of the Manchu creation myth, which includes a section of what would be considered their Titanomachy, a brief rundown of their historical and cultural details, as well as everything you need to use them in your game: Major Deities, Minor Deities, Titans, Primordials, the Underworld, the Overworld, Terra Incognita, Birthright Ideas, and a Hero-Tier Pantheon Specific Purview based on a Manchu religious notion which formed the basis of the European notion of 'shamanism.'

If you like the Shen, the Enduri are a counterweight to them in innumerable ways - both conquered each other repeatedly, appropriated each other, mixed and separated, are bound by shared history and visceral hatred.

If you like the Manitou, the Enduri come from a cultural tradition that has at times been said to play the role of Native Americans for Asia. The Manchu are one subset of a wide range of related cultures that are spread all across the cold plains of northern Asia, that have opposed and endured the colonialism of Russia and China, and that are the origin of the word and concept "shamanism," the great spiritual journey of the soul to the Gods and of the Gods into the human body.

If you like playing with the resurgence of cultures on the brink of extinction, with a culture of the oppressed that is based around slavery itself, with the strong men and even stronger women, with a whole Pantheon of awesome Goddesses, then the Enduri are for you.

If you have any questions about the Goddesses of the Manchu, how to use them in your game, or want to share your thoughts and opinions, we are happy to listen and help where we can!

Up Next: The smell of whale fat and the sound of distant beating wings.
    Last edited by Watcher; 10-21-2018, 11:40 AM.

Watcher,I'm not saying you are my hero. But you're definitely my herowriter

Comment

RAD. This is a culture I knew next to nothing about, gonna dive right in!

Comment

The research and effort that you guys put into these homebrews is incredible. Thank you so much for sharing them with us!

Comment

Originally posted by Fairlyhyperman View Post
          The research and effort that you guys put into these homebrews is incredible. Thank you so much for sharing them with us!
          Aww, thanks <3 Comments like this are what makes all the work worth it

Comment

Minor piece of errata: the contents page doesn't match the final document.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post
              Minor piece of errata: the contents page doesn't match the final document.
              Thanks! I've put in that as well as several other bits of errata people gave me a heads up about. The documents should be updated now, just let me know if you notice anything else!

Comment

Is there anything more you could tell me about the Ari and Bushuku demons? They sound really weird and interesting, particularly the Ari. Excellent work, by the way, but at this point I expect perfection from you guys. Your work is just phenomenal.

Comment

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
                  Is there anything more you could tell me about the Ari and Bushuku demons? They sound really weird and interesting, particularly the Ari. Excellent work, by the way, but at this point I expect perfection from you guys. Your work is just phenomenal.
                  Nope, that's as much as I could find out about them. Sorry.

Comment

Just finished it and love it, especially the fact it's an all goddess Pantheon (plus Golmin Sangiyan Alin)

There's one very small thing that jumped out at me and that I have to ask as someone who's two main obsessions are mythology and horror lit. In the Pantheon relationship chapter the Nemondevos are described as "dead and dreaming". I assume that's a Lovecraft reference but is it a reference because Nodens is both a Gaulish god and also a prominent figure in Lovecraft's mythos or was that just a happy accident?
                    Last edited by Corax; 10-22-2018, 01:10 AM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Corax View Post
                      Just finished it and love it, especially the fact it's an all goddess Pantheon (plus Golmin Sangiyan Alin)

There's one very small thing that jumped out at me and that I have to ask as someone who's two main obsessions are mythology and horror lit. In the Pantheon relationship chapter the Nemondevos are described as "dead and dreaming". I assume that's a Lovecraft reference but is it a reference because Nodens is both a Gaulish god and also a prominent figure in Lovecraft's mythos or was that just a happy accident?
                      Corax, when you're dealing with me, everything is a Lovecraft reference

Comment

So if I had to guess the order of the releases from this point on, it's going to go Sga'na Qeda's, Abosom, Zemis, than you-know-who?

Comment

So if I had to guess the order of the releases from this point on, it's going to go Sga'na Qeda's, Abosom, Zemis, than you-know-who?
                          We have agreed on the order Sga'na Qeda's, Zemí, Abosom, !Khweǁna-ssho-!kui. That way, it's always two from one continent after another. Last we've talked, the Taotaomo'na of Guam seemed like our prime choice for the next project. But first we need to finish the !Khweǁna-ssho-!kui (the Zemí are almost finished writing and will soon go into editing, hooray!).

Comment

Awesome! I know nothing about the Taotaomo'na. I take it the !Khweǁna-ssho-!kui are, in fact, the San, like I'd guessed?

Comment

Awesome! I know nothing about the Taotaomo'na. I take it the !Khweǁna-ssho-!kui are, in fact, the San, like I'd guessed?
                              Sure. I think most have figured it out by now Also Watcher is telling me that I misunderstood him and that order is not set in stone yet, because apparently, my desire to have things sorted geographically does not trump things like common sense and practicality, what with the Abosom being practically finished, and the Zemí very much not ^^'

Comment

Working...
                              X