The Enduri - The Pantheon of the Manchu People 2e Homebrew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wannabe Demon Lord View Post
    The (admittedly not so great) internet sources I'd used for the Kwakiutl seemed to indicate that they had Tia as a god/titan as well. They also listed several other deities who were supposedly of Haida origin, but Tia was the only one I'd heard of. It wasn't clear for the others whether they were imported gods in the sense that they were deities shared by the Haida, or if they had, in a more literal sense, come from Haida lands in the context of the myth. I would not be surprised at all if those sources were faulty though, they were informal, to say the least. As for Xhuuya, I knew that the Kwakiutl had a Raven, but I didn't know how similar to or distinct from Xhuuya Ō'meaL was, or even that his name was Ō'meaL.
    The real problem here is that we can't follow just "logic" here, deciding to put two cultures together because they have enough overlap, as is obvious for the Greeks and Romans. Here, we are dealing with cultures almost destroyed by colonialism, and no matter what could be gained by making a shared Pantheon from a game perspective, the price of that would be further eroding public awareness of the distinctness of these groups, further contributing to the looming threat of cultural extinction. So for these even more than for other Pantheons, our policy is: No matter how similar two figures in two (colonised) cultures, we'll write them up separately. That's actually a problem that will be making the San very difficult - it is anything but clear how much they identify as one group rather than their different sub-groups, which, after all, speak a multitude of non-mutually intelligible languages. Figuring that out will be a long and sensitive process, and though I don't think so, it is technically possible we could reach a point where we have to abandon that project. I repeat, I don't think so, but I don't wanna get anyone's hopes up too much at this point!

Comment

The (admittedly not so great) internet sources I'd used for the Kwakiutl seemed to indicate that they had Tia as a god/titan as well. They also listed several other deities who were supposedly of Haida origin, but Tia was the only one I'd heard of. It wasn't clear for the others whether they were imported gods in the sense that they were deities shared by the Haida, or if they had, in a more literal sense, come from Haida lands in the context of the myth. I would not be surprised at all if those sources were faulty though, they were informal, to say the least. As for Xhuuya, I knew that the Kwakiutl had a Raven, but I didn't know how similar to or distinct from Xhuuya Ō'meaL was, or even that his name was Ō'meaL.

Interesting! If you send me the websites I could dig into them for you and give more specific answers. It is a good question to ask since it is something that we are doing differently from the actual developers.

As your original question was about reusing the PsP, I suppose it could be possible, but I would need to read a lot about Kwakiutl religious ritual as the Haida PsP is centered around that, and I am uncertain how well it would translate across as it is dealing with some very specific notions about reciprocity. I would normally always strive for any two Pantheons to have a distinct Pantheon Specific Purview to themselves with some specific exceptions I can think of.

Comment

These are the internet sources I used for what little info I could find on Kwakiutl mythology. Like I said, they're very informal and not particularly great, but I don't have access to a university library anymore, so my ability to access better sources is somewhat limited. The reason I asked about them potentially sharing a PSP is that I was considering writing up a handful of Kwakiutl deities and Titans myself (after attempting further research.) Gods are individually pretty easy to write up, mechanics-wise, but the PSPs are where things get complicated, and I don't know if I could pull that off. So, that being said, I was wondering if sharing the Haida PSP would be acceptable, but if you don't think so, I won't do it.
        https://mythic-engine.obsidianportal...iutl-mythology
        https://www.mpm.edu/research-collect...eremonial-life

Comment

These are the internet sources I used for what little info I could find on Kwakiutl mythology. Like I said, they're very informal and not particularly great, but I don't have access to a university library anymore, so my ability to access better sources is somewhat limited. The reason I asked about them potentially sharing a PSP is that I was considering writing up a handful of Kwakiutl deities and Titans myself (after attempting further research.) Gods are individually pretty easy to write up, mechanics-wise, but the PSPs are where things get complicated, and I don't know if I could pull that off. So, that being said, I was wondering if sharing the Haida PSP would be acceptable, but if you don't think so, I won't do it.
          https://mythic-engine.obsidianportal...iutl-mythology
          https://www.mpm.edu/research-collect...eremonial-life
          I would look for the stuff Franz Boas wrote on the Kwakiutl, they were pretty much his main research interest. He is the father of modern anthropology, and his methods still hold up, more or less. Yet most of his stuff is so old that you should be able to find it for free online. At least I think so.

Comment

Working...
          X