Scion and Monotheism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scion and Monotheism

Likely this has come up before and I apologies if I have not found the answer, but something that has bugged me is that Scion take creatives licence with polytheistic religions, but there is no real mention or comment on monotheistic religions. From my perspective if we have a game about mythic figures and godly beings that all faiths would be represented in some form and fashion. Was this done because the writers and the company didn't want to offend a large chunk of the religious community, highlight religions that do not get a in-depth spot light, or some other reason?

I don't ask out of malice and am honestly curious.

Originally posted by Bioagent View Post
    Likely this has come up before and I apologies if I have not found the answer, but something that has bugged me is that Scion take creatives licence with polytheistic religions, but there is no real mention or comment on monotheistic religions. From my perspective if we have a game about mythic figures and godly beings that all faiths would be represented in some form and fashion. Was this done because the writers and the company didn't want to offend a large chunk of the religious community, highlight religions that do not get a in-depth spot light, or some other reason?

I don't ask out of malice and am honestly curious.
    There is a sidebar in Hero on Page 24 that discusses Monotheism. In addition, the game contains the Orisha, who are explicitly a monotheistic Pantheon and mentioned as such in their write-up, and also the Deva, many of whose followers (myself included) are monotheistic. So monotheism is very much there in the book. Though I will note that, given the number of religious beliefs that Humanity has espoused over the ages, it is impossible to represent them all, no matter in what form or fashion.
    Last edited by Samudra; 11-06-2018, 02:00 PM.

Comment

OK, thank you for that. I had missed that sidebar. I will read over it and give it some thought.

Comment

*Awaits the inevitable Henotheism rant*

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

In addition, I know that Neall has said he doesn't want anybody to feel like they picked the 'wrong religion' when reading Scion.

At my table, my stance is "The Abrahamic religions are as true as any other religion in the World. However, we aren't touching that with a ten foot pole." Because people have tried before, tried to make various Angelic/Abrahamic/YHWH Pantheon Writeups... And most of them go "Okay this is a fucking minefield and there's actually a LOT of stuff to untangle so I'm out".

I think the team want to do a Caananite Pantheon in Demigod, which will probably address the elephant in the room.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

In terms of risk of offending people - I don’t see any difference from using Hinduism in a game. Except of course that the writers and publishers are largely of Abrahamic background themselves so it should be MORE ok.

For the “monotheism doesn’t cosmologically mix with a polytheistic setting” arguments, that isn’t preventing the Yazata from placing their one true God as a Primordial, and Zoroastrianism’s angelic beings as God-level.

All the hand wringing seems hypocritical to me in that context.
            Last edited by glamourweaver; 11-06-2018, 07:59 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Mainly just lean into the idea that Primordials are BIG and no one is really sure where one begins and another ends.

COULD The Three Pure Ones = Amenominakanushi/Takamimusuhi/Kamimusuhi = Olorun/Oludomare/Olofin = the Holy Trinity = the trimurti faces of Brahman and/or the tridevi faces of Shakti?

The Orisha are open to the idea, but more broadly, who knows?!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Admittedly, Scion 2e is better equipped to handle monotheism than 1e was. 1e didn't have Primordials or Chosen Scions, two concepts that are essential to monotheistic factions in 2e, the first allowing a Pantheon to have a “Highest God” and the second allowing it to have Scions who aren't literal children of the gods.

Comment

Working...
                X