No announcement yet.

Scion and Monotheism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It how the Shen(?) are the result of one Pantheon conquering and subsuming several others, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      I'm not sure that wyrdhamster was making that assumption; but yes. One reason why I like the several fan efforts to construct Abrahamic Pantheons is that actually playing a Christian Saint or Scion or even an angel in a sufficiently high-powered game actually appeals to me; and I can't do that without an Abrahamic Pantheon to work with. So seeing people put in the effort to construct such a Pantheon in a manner that's consistent with the rest of Scion and without framing them as “the bad guys” is very encouraging.

And in that regard, it's worth repeating that Judaism doesn't have the same proselytizing nature of Christianity and Islam: there was a time when Judaism was in active conflict with more traditional Scion Pantheons, mostly surrounding the founding and continuing existence of the original Israeli state; but even then, they were arguably no more oppressive than the religions of the neighboring kingdoms they were at war with.

It's also worth noting that early Christianity in particular wasn't about oppressing other Pantheons and in fact went through its first several centuries being oppressed (by the Theoi, mainly); and even to this day, there are significant sects of Christianity who believe that conversion cannot be forced, and so tolerate adherents of other faiths: in the world of Scion, I see such sects being even more prominent within Christianity than they are in the real world. Yes, there are conflicts between the Abrahamic Pantheon and the official Pantheons; but they're arguably no more severe than the conflicts among the official Pantheons. And being the top dog in much of human society does not automatically make you the oppressor.

It's also worth noting that in our world Christianity made many of its inroads by strongly associating its saints and angels with the gods and heroes of other pantheons. Conversion was high on the list of priorities, but stamping out traditions and stories (often) wasn't. In the World this would be more pronounced, leading to the kind of attitudes we see described in Origin and Hero. In addition, more than a few Theoi, Aesir, and Deva could have mantles in the Abrahamic pantheon.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

I would not downplay the degree to which Judaism was anti-pagan, because it was extreme in practice - the Talmud is pretty clear on that - but it certainly would be no more or less vicious than, say, the Yazatas and the Devas.

Comment

Originally posted by MorsRattus View Post
          I would not downplay the degree to which Judaism was anti-pagan, because it was extreme in practice - the Talmud is pretty clear on that - but it certainly would be no more or less vicious than, say, the Yazatas and the Devas.
          Yes, but being a non-proslytizing faith to outsiders goes a long way to prevent constant pantheon conflict as long as no pagans try to forcibly impose their religion on the Jewish people.

Christianity and Islam on the other hand...

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            Yes, but being a non-proslytizing faith to outsiders goes a long way to prevent constant pantheon conflict as long as no pagans try to forcibly impose their religion on the Jewish people.
            The original citizens of Jericho might disagree. More generally, when Joshua lead the Israelites into their Promised Land, the non-proselytizing nature of Judaism didn't matter much to the locals.

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            Christianity and Islam on the other hand...
            …aren't always about forced conversion. I can only really speak about Christianity in this regard, as I don't know much about Islam; but as I said in my previous post, there are large segments of the Christian community who are big on sharing the Gospel message with others, but who insist that conversion must not be coerced — and in fact that a conversion doesn't really count if it wasn't voluntary.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
              The original citizens of Jericho might disagree. More generally, when Joshua lead the Israelites into their Promised Land, the non-proselytizing nature of Judaism didn't matter much to the locals. .
              I considered caveating about the Canaanite Pantheon, but I assumed we all were on the same page that we were talking about the Abrahamic religions as they interact with the World today, so a counter example you’d have to go back 3,000 years for seemed unnecessary.

As to the Christianity and Islam not always being forced conversions - I didn’t say they were. I said they’re proselytizing faiths (unlike Judaism) which is going to create inter-Pantheon conflict as gods don’t tend to like people telling their worshipers they shouldn’t worship them.

Buddhism of course is also a proslytizing faith, and does have cases of coming into conflict with pantheons, but compared to the Abrahamic religions is much more adaptable around existing beliefs about the divine (the Shen and the Kami being obvious examples of pantheons who have accommodated Buddhism well).
              Last edited by glamourweaver; 12-18-2018, 03:16 AM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
              X