Unorthodox Settings/Eras

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unorthodox Settings/Eras

Hello all, I've got some curiosities that need sated.

So, I've been running Scion games for my friends for quite some time now, and so far, they've all been the same. Same as in, present day, modern tech, same mythology. I was thinking of running a game for them that takes a step from the standard modern era stuff, to present the game we love to them under a fresh and new coat of paint. My question therein is this: Have any of you ST's run games like this before? How did they turn out?
    I personally would like to try it out, since it would make certain things in the game more complicated or requiring skills one wouldn't expect; how can the party survive without the Internet and cell phones to research, or how do they get information back to someone by word of mouth, etc.

I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts and experiences. Is Scion a game versatile enough to shove in a wide range of settings and time periods, or something that should stay in the present?

This made me think about trying run Scion in a 1910-192X year. Something like Eldritch Horror (players traveling across the World, solving lesser quests with a GREAT problem coming around)... With Gods (and not Old Gods).

I'm honestly curious about how would be a game of Scion setted in the Great Navigations period. With the Manitou and Teotl or kicking strong or not yet present in the set of things.

Comment

I've put forth the idea to my group of playing a Scion set in one of our homebrew D&D settings, but as we have 3 campaigns currently running and I will be moving to another state in a year or so, it doesn't look like that will happen.

I forget where I read it, but I remember reading somewhere that someone was considering taking the backstory for Overwatch and running a Scion game set around the time of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by R_Pon217 View Post
        I'd love to hear your guys' thoughts and experiences. Is Scion a game versatile enough to shove in a wide range of settings and time periods, or something that should stay in the present?
        I have never run a historic game, but almost nothing in Scion asides from the descriptions of some of the Skills, and potentially reorganizing what falls under Academics, Occult, and Culture depending on time period and location, needs to be changed for such settings. The only thing that might happen is having smaller potential Pantheons to play with when you are looking at a specific point in time (as some Pantheons might not exist yet sort of).

One of my favorite ideas, though I have never run it, is a game set around the Bronze Age Collapse, with Egyptian, Hittite, Canninite, Mesopotamian, and super-duper-early-Greek Scions dealing with... well, whatever caused the Bronze Age Collapse in your setting. We don't know still historically, but that leaves awesome design area for a game. Maybe it is inter-Pantheon strife, maybe it's a Titan issue, or maybe it's just a mortal problem that has spun so far out of control it will ravage the lands of several of the Pantheons in-play, and destroying the empire of one of them.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
        The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire.
        The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples.

Comment

If you want something that's different, but not too different (like a straight mythical/fantasy world or an ancient history setting might be), you could always go for an Alternate History setting. alternatehistory.com has plenty of stuff there to look through, but some stuff I'd suggest as a fun setting to use would be Tony Jones' stuff:

Want a setting with Christianity as the ultimate evil force? Go with Puritan World, it has ultraconservative, dystopian, theocratic regimes for your Scions to fight galore. Technology is about 20s/40s level - so things will be largely recognisable for your group, though certain Skills would likely need to be adapted.

Want something similar, but not as grimdark and with more modern/advabced technology? Go with Monarchy World, where things are only conservative instead of ultraconservative, religion is still hyper important but not everything is a theocratic nightmare and certain technologies are actually more advanced than their real-world counterparts.

Want an incredibly bizarre mix of old and new? Try Tellus, which is a post-robot apocalypse world largely divided between the Chinese Empire + cultural sphere and the Roman Empire + cultural sphere with the Indian Empire + cultural sphere as a lesser third power/influence. Technology is largely futuristic and most culture (music, food, etc) is either an updated form of stuff from the ancient world or completely unrecognisable.

Want something a bit more recognisable? Go with Clive-less World, which has the base premise of France becoming a world power instead of Britain but diverged heavily beyond that. Democracy is nowhere near as prevalent as in our world, environmentalism is a highly important/prevalent political issue, as is privacy, and colonialism is still hanging around, although that may change even without Scion involvement. A lot of the missionary work done in Africa didn't happen here so the African pantheons will be stronger, computers run on liquid rather than electricity, most drugs are legal, equality (racial, sexuality & gender) is more prevalent but apparently antisemitism is still fairly common and contraceptives/abortions are illegal in many places... its all very different, but not too difficult for someone from our world to understand.

Want something a bit more different than the last one, but not as strange as the stuff that came before it? Try Gurkani Alam, where the Mhugal Empire is the world's leading superpower. Discrimination against women and disabled people is rare-to-nonexistent but racial and religious discrimination is common (though Hindus and Muslims get along much better than in our world), a war betwen the Mughals and their former rival the Holy Russian Empire recently ended, many of the non-European pantheons are still strong (or, at least, they are compared to our timeline), most technology is slightly more advanced than ours, Russia makes giant ships out of ice and people are beginning to colonise space - which already has some weapons in it.

He also has a sci-fi Axis Victory timeline and a timeline set in a world where the Ice Age never ended and there are wolf people.

Clive-less World and Gurkani Alam are my personal favourites, but most of the others were originally created as settings for an RPG, which would probably be useful for adapting them to Scion. All of them are very detailed, though some are more detailed than others, which makes using them as settings very useful so it doesn't really matter which you choose to use.

​Hopefully this was useful.

Comment

Old West Scion?

Comment

I had some plans to borrow a lot of structural elements from the Malazan setting (where the big people are organized into Houses, a good match for Pantheons) and use the Scion 2e ruleset for actual play. Houses in Malazan tend to be somewhat sparsely populated, so I didn't need to invent a lot of God-level patrons kicking around to fill them out. Legend felt like it'd be a solid proxy for the various power levels. Malazan-style magic feels like it would match reasonably well with Scion Marvels/Boons, too.

Unfortunately, we didn't make it far enough to actually start trying things out, so I never got to find out how right or wrong I was, but I'm still convinced it's a solid foundation.

As others have said, I think the biggest change you'd really have to make is messing around with the skills... Firearms and Technology stand out the most to me, and I don't think it's even worth trying to replace them with anything; just toss them.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
              An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
              Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Space opera where Pantheons reign over homeworlds modeled on their ancient civilizations, but plenty of cosmopolitan space exists as well, and part of the evolution to godhood is colonizing, terraforming, and socially engineering your own world.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                  Space opera where Pantheons reign over homeworlds modeled on their ancient civilizations, but plenty of cosmopolitan space exists as well, and part of the evolution to godhood is colonizing, terraforming, and socially engineering your own world.
                  My only problem with this is that I can only Like it once, this is AWESOME!

Comment

Castlevania?

Comment

Not exactly an unnorthodox age, but I always wondered how could be a monster hunter "Geralt-like" in Scion. Pistols Relics and a Guide to study monsters ("Because knowing is half of the victory")... Roach motorcycle optional.

Comment

I'm running scion in Miami, 1958 and 1973 Vegas. They don't know it yet but the two games (played by mostly different players) are related. The 50s game plays up the mob (and general corruption), the famous nightlife, and the gross inequity of race and sex are all a backdrop to an episodic monster of the week involving the characters (still just mortal) trying to reveal the truth of the Mythical world to the world at large.

The Vegas game has that turned on its head, where a criminal conspiracy is usurping the mob position even as the mob's hold is at its apex and the players (running the gamut from world-class thieves to ER Surgeons to police detectives) are dragged into the Mythic Underground kicking and screaming.

When it looked like we were going to be in on the playtest I also had a game set in the late 19th century in Wyoming with a band of 2 hunting a killer across the west, and another on a horse ranch in Utah (4 players), where the Theoi were reliving their greatest hits in mortal form (their avatars oblivious to their true natures as they should be) and their children having to take up the parts of the old heroes of old. and finally a game for 6 players set in 1960s Kansas involving the erection of the St. Luis Arch as a plan to free a Titan from its prison and the gods activating a disperate crew of scions to stop the coming upheaval. Sadly none of these games got off the ground.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                          We had a thread about that last year, didn't we? I remember someone doing a really awesome Devi system for it.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Let's see... There's alternate genres. As Hayashi said, the Eldritch Horror vibe can work really well, I think, with the Titans subbing for Lovecraft's Great Old Ones and their ilk. Mainly with lower powered characters, or ones who just haven't realized their godly potential yet. I think you could probably also swing the various Mystery/Detective genres as well. The whole Buddy Cop action genre is probably pretty close to standard Scion, I think, but a gritty police procedural or even a Cozy Mystery would work just fine. Especially if you've got characters whose concepts, callings or lineages might not immediately lend themselves to action adventure. Screwball comedy might even work. And, as mentioned, space opera style sci fi. Superheroes would perhaps work as well. (Not sure how the fate binding of that might play out.)

Historical settings are also good. The easiest is any period when a Pantheon was in their zenith. Ancient Greece, Shogunate Japan, or pre-Columbian Aztecs, for example. Other periods just sort of scream for Scion involvement. The Loa in a Pirates of the Caribbean style setting, for instance.

The close cousin to that is the high fantasy mythic age setting, where a Pantheon's famous events are taking place. Egypt during the war between Horus and Set, the Greeks in the period leading up to the Trojan War, or the Devi during their numerous epics.

If you did something set around 1000 to 500 BC, I think you'd get a broad sample of Pantheons - Greeks, Persians, Indians, Chinese, Egyptian, West African, Celtic - to do some sort of Justice League by way of Hercules/Xena style epic.

Edit: Forgot alternate histories. Something where Alexander the Great didn't die so young, and the Greek, Egyptian and Persian gods now have to learn to co-exist as a single Pantheon. Or where Tecumseh's rebellion succeeded and created a Native/First Nation's state around the Great Lakes. Or where China never became Communist.
                            Last edited by No One of Consequence; 11-27-2018, 06:56 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

We had a thread about that last year, didn't we? I remember someone doing a really awesome Devi system for it.
                              I think it was my pitch then too, and someone else ran with it. I’ll need to go back and see what they came up with!

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                              X