Unorthodox Settings/Eras

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gnomish American View Post
    I'm running scion in Miami, 1958 and 1973 Vegas. They don't know it yet but the two games (played by mostly different players) are related. The 50s game plays up the mob (and general corruption), the famous nightlife, and the gross inequity of race and sex are all a backdrop to an episodic monster of the week involving the characters (still just mortal) trying to reveal the truth of the Mythical world to the world at large.

The Vegas game has that turned on its head, where a criminal conspiracy is usurping the mob position even as the mob's hold is at its apex and the players (running the gamut from world-class thieves to ER Surgeons to police detectives) are dragged into the Mythic Underground kicking and screaming.

When it looked like we were going to be in on the playtest I also had a game set in the late 19th century in Wyoming with a band of 2 hunting a killer across the west, and another on a horse ranch in Utah (4 players), where the Theoi were reliving their greatest hits in mortal form (their avatars oblivious to their true natures as they should be) and their children having to take up the parts of the old heroes of old. and finally a game for 6 players set in 1960s Kansas involving the erection of the St. Luis Arch as a plan to free a Titan from its prison and the gods activating a disperate crew of scions to stop the coming upheaval. Sadly none of these games got off the ground.

I really would like to have something to read about this.

Taking advantage of the opportunity, there is chance we have a "Scion Vault" like the other RPGs when Scion is officially launched?

Comment

Not dramatically unorthodox but I ran a short campaign last year that was an over the top, Metal Gear Solid style political techno thriller set in Tokyo. Instead of Titanspawn, I used the Hototogisu from Vampire: The Requiem as antagonists, modifying them to target Yokai and young Origins level Scions in a bid to keep Tokyo free from divine influence.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayashi View Post

I really would like to have something to read about this.

Taking advantage of the opportunity, there is chance we have a "Scion Vault" like the other RPGs when Scion is officially launched?
        I mean, they were just basic chronicles, no big rule changes, I've posted the first monster on this forum and a list of potential birthrights and even basic setting stuff too. I have an Actual Play over at RPGnet under "Scion:1958" if you want to read the first 3 games of that cycle (4 will be posted around the 13th). It's very much the gritty police procedural noir that No One of Consequence was mentioning

I haven't decided if I'm going to post VEGA$ yet. It's much more shoot em up buddy cop/ caper romp that I think the system was designed for.

Call Me Ray.

Southern Gothic - Welcome to New Calais

Who Wants to Live Forever – Highlander in the World of Darkness

Comment

No One of Consequence glamourweaver

I'll make it easy for you guys This is what I came up with for Deva IN SPACE!

The Samsara System with 14 Planets could be the Galactic System of the Deva. I imagine that it was probably a system with extremely irregular cycles and uninhabitable planets till the Deva built the Meru galactic stabilizing system of technomagic to regulate the cycles of movement.

The 7 Tala Planets would be independent entities, 3 of the Loka Planets would function as one coalition perhaps called Dyavaprithvi (literally, 'Heaven and Earth'), while the other 4 would be mysterious planets which are cut off from the others by way of the Mukti asteroid belt, which only the Gods or Enlightened Rishis can cross.

The Dyavaprithvi Coalition consists of:

1. Bhur, the Earth like home of Humanity. People perform regular yajnas (fire sacrifices), where offerings of Soma are thrown into Sraddha devices, invented and operated by Agni, which transport them to Svarga for the Gods to enjoy.

2. Bhuvar, the gas giant home of the demigod races, who watch over the people of Bhur on behalf of the Gods and

3. Svarga, the home of Indra and his court, from where they control the weather and climate systems of Bhur.

The seven independent Tala planets would be

1. Atala, the pleasure planet, ruled by the Titan of Passion and Fertility Bala, filled with willing partners to suit all tastes and home to every mind altering substance known to Gods or Titans.

2. Vitala, a volcanic planet at whose core lie Bhava and Bhavani, Incarnations of Shiva and Parvati united in eternal intercourse... their sexual fluids erupt onto the surface and cool off to form a highly prized metal, much in demand by Forge Gods.

3. Sutala, arguably the most justly and well-ordered planet in the system, ruled by the Titan of Order and Prosperity Bali and protected by the Dvarpala (Gatekeeper) defense system installed by Vishnu, Sutala is the happiest and most prosperous of the planets in Samsara.

4. Talatala, ruled by the Titan of Forge and Deception Mayasura, Talatala is a planet that is sometimes there and sometimes not... the entire world is in fact an artificial one, forged by the Titan to be his workshop of wonders.

5. Mahatala, a primarily aquatic planet, home to the Naga serpents.

6. Rasatala, ruled by the Titans Diti and Danu and home to their children the Daityas and Danavas, the Rasatala planet is a breeding ground for Titanspawn and home of many of the Asura that plot to overthrow Indra.

7. Patala, a mysterious world inhabited by the Primordial Serpents Ananta and Vasuki, this planet is the home of the Meru galactic stabilizers that keep the other planets in proper alignment.

Beyond the Mukti asteroid belt lie the planets of Maharloka, Jnanaloka and Tapaloka, where go the Enlightened Mortals who have mastered the arts of Yoga. Beyond even that lies the Mokshsa asteroid belt, beyond which is Satyaloka, personal planet of the Trideva and Tridevi, which is extensively terraformed to contain the mountain ranges of Kailasha, the vast sea of Vaikuntha and the serene clouds and ponds of Brahmaloka.

The prison ship Naraka would be a giant voyaging space prison, piloted by Yama, for the rehabilitation of souls.

The other floating giant spaceship would be Mani Dvipa, Durga's abode and personal continent, source of the Shakti that powers both of the Samsara systems defense mechanisms... the vast galaxy spanning holographic projector that is Maya that can be used to render the whole system undetectable to outside influence, and of course the Astra orbital defense and weapon systems, the might of which no other Pantheon has tried to test yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayashi View Post
            A Community Content section was one of the Kickstarter stretch goals, so yeah, we'll be getting a 'Vault'.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

It occurs to me that post-Roman Britain would make for a really fun historical setting. Scions and Heroes of the Welsh/British pantheon contesting with those of the Saxon one, with a few Roman hold outs thrown into the mix as well. The sort of thing that could be anywhere from gritty historical to outright Arthurian fantasy.

Post WW2 Film Noir would also be interesting, especially if it revolved around a bunch of different trickster gods from different pantheons.

And for something sillier, the whole Harry Potter/Percy Jackson style Boarding School for Young DemiGods set up. Thou that begs the question, should "houses" be set up according to Pantheon or Purview/Role? ("War gods over here, Tricksters over there, and Death gods in the basement.")

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                It occurs to me that post-Roman Britain would make for a really fun historical setting. Scions and Heroes of the Welsh/British pantheon contesting with those of the Saxon one, with a few Roman hold outs thrown into the mix as well. The sort of thing that could be anywhere from gritty historical to outright Arthurian fantasy.
                Neall’s discussed wanting to do an Arthurian Myth supplement (that will include the Welsh Pantheon) after the Demigod book.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Neall’s discussed wanting to do an Arthurian Myth supplement (that will include the Welsh Pantheon) after the Demigod book.
                  That is awesome. Please allow me to throw money at it.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

First time thru this tread, and I had lots of flashs of Star Treck TOS Theoi like aliens. Came to mind an option on Stargate stile, but instead of Goauld (don’t know how to spell it), the gods are... REAL... yess real gods... ok, that was quite obvious in this forum...

If you get the Mythos as setting you can do a lot of different campaigns on different settings, as the gods are at same time divine and aliens, works quite well without making any weird assumptions of how gods handle space travel.

My favourite periods to play would be on the 1800-1850 with many people going after old Egyptian and Greek ruins and artefacts, just to discover the gods are real. Or as heroes coming from some terra incognitae after their ways were opened by the explorers discoveries.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                      My favourite periods to play would be on the 1800-1850 with many people going after old Egyptian and Greek ruins and artefacts, just to discover the gods are real. Or as heroes coming from some terra incognitae after their ways were opened by the explorers discoveries.
                      I keep thinking that the Romantic period would be a really fun setting for Greek scions. And since it overlaps with the sudden interest in Egyptology after Napoleon's campaigns there, there's even more fun to be had.

Hmm. What would a good name for a Scion counterpart for Dark Eras be?

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                        Hmm. What would a good name for a Scion counterpart for Dark Eras be?
                        Demon... I guess Church on dark ages were quite restrict... unless you get something like Mythic Europe from Ars Magica, where the Magus are not burn on stakes and there are local wise women that heal on touch and things like this without making peasants run away.

It would be fun to have a crossover Ar Magica Scion...

Edit: missunderstood the question. I would call Mythic Eras or Legendary Eras... more likely the first...
                        Last edited by Mateus Luz; 02-11-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

If you wanted a new take on a modern era game, or even a slightly futuristic one, consider looking at the RWBY series. A bunch of young scions in an academy, where they are formed into hunter groups with amazing weapons and sent out to battle monsters to protect the world.

If nothing else, the Anime style combat is a lot of fun.

Comment

Time travel: some Titanspawn can time-shift and are trying to change the past so that Titans come out on top. The gods themselves are incapable of time-traveling for (mumble mumble) reasons, so they have to use Scions to prevent and/or correct changes to the timeline.

Inevitably, some gods (hello, Loki!) are also using time travel for their own purposes. This means that the Scions might travel to a version of history where one god or one pantheon managed to dominate or even wipe out the others. So when your Deva Scion ends up on a version of Earth where only the Deva exist, that’s a nice conflict of interest for the character: “Should I really *correct* this back to the multi-pantheon world as I know it?” Also, there’d be a need to stay under the radar in such cases. If the Deva who rule the world discover that some upstart godlings from a different timeline are trying to undermine their dominance, things could get ugly.

If I were running such a campaign, I’d declare that the time-travel mechanism can only take you to “historical” times, not all the way back to the Gods-Titans war. Otherwise, there’d be a temptation to keep going back to the war, rather than having the fun of time-hopping through more familiar historical periods.

Comment

I don't know if you've played Black and White before, but it takes place on the world of Eden, where the ancient Greeks, feudal Japanese, brutal Aztecs and Norse Vikings all exist within the same time period as each other. The gods also live publicly alongside their worshipers, using their powers to either foster their development, or just lording over them with an iron fist. Since they are functionally immortal, conflicts between the gods become matters of faith, rather than conquest. The Gods of Eden can only interact with territories that have a strong belief in their power. If nobody believes in them, they can do nothing but observe the world. To this end, they compete to try and sway the people to worship them over the rival deity, and eventually gain enough influence to tear down their temples, thus banishing the enemy god from their land.
                              Last edited by Nyrufa; 02-12-2019, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Hmm.

Mythic Eras: Return of the Emperor (Kami in Japan's Meiji Restoration, 1886 to 1912) - Possibly include the Ainu kamuy as well
                                Mythic Eras: War for the West (Manitou in the American Midwest's Sixty Years War, 1754 to 1814) - Possibly include the Iroquois pantheon as well
                                Mythic Eras: Righteous Fists of Heaven (Shen in the end of the Qing Dynasty, 1840 to 1911) - Possibly include the Bon pantheon of Tibet
                                Mythic Eras: Chosen of the Sun (Netjer in the 19th Dynasty of the New Kingdom, 1292 - 1189BC) - Possibly include the Hittite pantheon
                                Mythic Eras: Voodoo of the Caribbean (Loa in the Golden Age of Piracy, 1650 - 1726) - Possibly include the Taino zemis.

Trying to think of a few good two-pantheon ones.
                                Last edited by No One of Consequence; 02-13-2019, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X