Inspiration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspiration

I just could not get into American Gods when it premiered but, after playing the demo, I want to give it another shot. What other media do you use as inspiration for Scion?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_485_1538393298974_786[/ATTACH]

Depends on the tone of the game I'm going for. I really love Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicles, and Magnus Chase series for modern myth stories. For something a little darker or more mature, I actually think that superhero comics show a lot of interesting concepts about how society would shape around people with power on an entirely different scale.

EDIT: Just remembered another one. Check out "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel". Lots of gods, monsters, and magic.
    Last edited by saedar; 12-06-2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

George O'Connor's The Olympians series of graphic novels. They're retellings of the old Greek stories, but done wonderfully and in a way that makes the various gods feel like real people.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

The Almighty Johnsons is pretty good inspiration, especially if you want some comedic inspiration.

Comment

I really miss stuff from less popular mythologies, like Orishás, Teotl, Shén, Devas, etc. The Kami have a lot of manga/anime representation. Most of pop culture focus more in Aesir/Theoi stuff.

Comment

Now while it's not a good inspiration for actual folklore, I like the animated series "Hilda" on Netflix as inspiration. Not for material, but for TONE.

Hilda is a show where the mythic and magical is... Y'know just kind of accepted as a Thing in the world. When the main character, Hilda, tells her mom that she's friends with a small elf and watches trolls in the wild, her mom never doubts her. Hell, the city they move to, Trollberg, has a giant wall around it to keep out trolls, and the local hardware store sells troll repellent. Monsters, spirits, and magic exist... And nobody doubts this. It's exactly the kind of feeling I want to evoke in my Scion games, where the mythic is very much a known thing and part of life in the World.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayashi View Post
              I really miss stuff from less popular mythologies, like Orishás, Teotl, Shén, Devas, etc. The Kami have a lot of manga/anime representation. Most of pop culture focus more in Aesir/Theoi stuff.
              No idea as to how much is translated and the like, but I would think that there has to be a bunch of stuff for the Deva too, given the thriving entertainment industry in India.

Comment

Originally posted by ffanxii4ever View Post
                No idea as to how much is translated and the like, but I would think that there has to be a bunch of stuff for the Deva too, given the thriving entertainment industry in India.

There's also Nollywood in Nigeria, but I have no idea how much their movies touch on traditional legends and the likes of the Orisha or Alusi.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                X