Sources for inspiration: Dangerous Artifacts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources for inspiration: Dangerous Artifacts

I started to run a game somewhat based on: Indiana Jones meets The Librarians meets Relic Hunter. Neither too serious nor too heroic when compared to the type of games we ran before with the first edition.
    The first thing they had to deal with was the Chalice of Narcissus which was activated by water and started entrancing people through their own reflections and making them hostile towards others. Was a lot of fun and worked pretty well.
    My only problem is preparing for future sessions and keeping it somewhat fresh so not everyone knows everything about an Artifact because it is very common like the Golden Fleece. To have them guessing I want to use not so well known Artifacts or something based on a Myth where no Artifact itself is mentioned (like the Chalice I used for Adventure one). Are there any good sources in others Games book where the things are at least loosely tied to Scion like Mythology or sites that feature vast lists of interesting versions of Myths like the "Ring of Gyges".
    It's quite difficult to dip through Wikis for hours just to get maybe one thing I could use for an Adventure.

Any proposals where to take a look at?
    Anyone else running similar themed Storys from that I could maybe borrow some dangerous Artifact ideas?

Geryon's Cattle Goad
    Eris's Apple of Discord
    The Dumpling Recipe of Momotaro's Mother, said dumplings turn misguided hostiles into bosom companions.
    The Hammer Momotaro recovers from the oni, which creates a piece of gold every time it strikes the ground.
    A machete crafted by Ogun used during the Hatian revolution.
    The first Zulu iklwa spear made for Shaka Zulu (not exactly historically accurate, but this is Scion, and I just like the idea of what could be a South African Excalibur)

These are just a few off the top of my head.

As for other resources, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ogical_objects is an easy place to start. One of my favorites from the list is the idea that the sword of Attila the Hun originally being the sword of Mars, which sounds like a WW2 era Raiders of the Lost Ark style campaign all by itself.

Also, while not exactly mythological, I was and still am a huge fan of the late 80s syndicated show Friday the 13th: The Series, with it's collection of cursed antiques, many of which can easily be adapted one way or another into mythologically themed objects that come with a terrible price. (One of the first season ones was a statue of Cupid which would allow the owner to make someone fall in love with them, only for the owner to inevitably be consumed by the need to murder their new lover.)
    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 12-16-2018, 10:06 AM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I think a lot can be had on seeing what mythologies your group are familiar with and then springing something from a source they haven't encountered yet. Everyone knows about Zeus's thunderbolts, but they may not necessarily know about the nuclear warheads known as Astras that the Devas chuck around at one another. (Heck having one of those as the McGuffin can practically be the plot of a mythological mission impossible)

Plus some weapons have had some weird history to them. Consider the weapon Durandel. In its original form it was considered the spear of Hector, the Hero of Troy and great rival to Achilles. However fast forward to the Middle Ages, and that spear's blade has been reforged into a sword by Weyland, legendary smith of Norse Mythology, and fitted with a hilt containing four different relics from various Christian saints before being used by one of Charlemagne's paladins. Just imagine what kind of a political mess that would result with the Aesir and the Theoi both laying claim over the legendary weapon while also contending with a group of zealous Templars trying to keep the purified blade out of the polytheists' hands.

Unfortunately I can't really recommend any compendium for all these things, though I do second Wikipedia's list of mythological objects. Or if you want to get a little out there, there's an anime franchise Fate Stay/Night, that features heroic spirits from myth, legend and history being summoned bearing "Noble Phantasms" usually objects or other legacies that they bore in life, and they have a whole list of those. http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Noble_Phantasm

Be warned though, Fate is extremely anime, style is often given preference over accuracy (Excalibur shooting laser beams for instance) and the lore is a mess for a newcomer to understand, but you might find something of interest to at least spark some consideration, considering how many of the characters come from mythology. (The original heroic spirit cast includes Heracles, Cu Chulainn, Gilgamesh, Medusa and Medea, all of whom would be right at home in any garden variety Scion game.)

Comment

Working...
      X