No announcement yet.

Everyday life with Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add more for thought: in mythology - the prime inspiration for Scion - the Gods and their scions certainly got actively involved in the affairs of humans, and if the game presumes that this has continued (kind of the point of Scion), I simply don't believe that you would end up with (to use your example) a Poland that is 98% Christian and only 2% "other". If that's what you want, I'm not coming to your table to argue, but I think it sells all the other Gods short, and loses out on a lot of he potential of the default Scion premise.

Comment

Personally i would play within the spectrum of All the Gods in Hiding at one end and Theres a giant Cathedral of Odin across the street from the giant christian cathedral at the other end. Big churches arent much of a thing in a lot of cultures.
      Whats more likely is that everyone has an altar at home dedicated to a particular god(or goddess or group of gods/goddesses or revered ancestor maybe deified at some point). You can also have several communities or organisations that, in private (in private doesnt mean hiding tho), have rituals honoring particular mythic entities. Much like how it is done in our world except more frequent.

Also, in 99% of cases worship is something that mortals have decided to do. With each gods individually deciding how to interact with said worship. Some gods would like the ego boost and would encourage it (Zeus) others would be pretty uncomfortable with the idea of being prayed to (Confucius) and, i suspect, most of the gods would not care and their interaction would be in no way influenced with whether they are worshiped or not.

Edit: Okay i know what i said but now i kinda want to run a scenario involving two huge cathedral across the street from each other.
      Let's see. Each congregants hate the others and constantly pull "harmless" prank and generally try to drive off the other. The PCs are tasked by the tutelary gods of each cathedral to make the congregants make peace and end their feud. (sorry i know its off topic but i had to write the idea somewhere)
      Last edited by Maitrecorbo; 12-19-2018, 08:34 PM.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter anf a 1 year old son.

Comment

Finally got my copy of Scion 2E: Origin, And now I can really say to you what is mostly not working in my perspective in vanilla The World setting in context of Gods – it’s that World (as setting ) is INCONSISTENT.

Warning, to make my point I will use quotes from Scion 2E: Origin - a lot, actually. It will be a long post. I need to base arguments on real corebook text, not only impression of forumers. Assume all quotes to come from Origin book. Bold in them added by me, for emphasise. Let’s see…

‘Masquerade’ of Gods

I.E. ‘Gods do not show themselves to people and worship of them is in secret’ – on one hand we have facts like this:
        • Fatebinding (Page 21) – ‘Fatebindings latch to a Hero and Demigod directly, but tend to attach themselves to a God’s mantle, or their divine oversoul. They act to define a God and how the God’s relationships will play out in the future, which is another reason many Gods are careful to stay in the Overworld (which is devoid of the trappings of Fate, and where they feel the tug of Fatebindings but rarely) and act through intermediaries (like Scions). Part of the reason the Gods refrain from direct action is because doing so shakes up the ordered destiny of the cosmos, and because it alters the way their divine power might manifest itself in the future (not to mention their very conception of themselves). By embracing this radical change, Gods who interact with their peoples during a crisis can find themselves completely and permanently altered — like what happened to the Òrìshà during the Middle Passage, where their divine identities were warped, shattered, and folded among a half-dozen new divinities.’
        • Catholic Church ( page 22 )In real Rome, the seat of the Catholic Church lies across the river, and beyond certain modern revivals the old temples are historical remnants and not living faith sites. In Scion, Rome looks almost the same, and daily life is superficially similar, but some of the old ruins have well-kept annexes for cult rites, and even though the Pantheon is nominally a Catholic Church, everybody just knows you don’t come here for Mass, and that at certain times the priests stand aside for other priests.
        • Divine Ruling ( page 23 ) ‘(…) they err on the negative side since the Gods don’t like acting with such sweeping authority in The World. Gods are more likely to watch over the rulers of their favored peoples and nudge events to their liking than to express opinions outright on earthly leaders. A few Scions have thrown caution to the wind and given up control over their personal legends to rule openly, but by no means do the actions of a God’s chosen imply his approval. (…) Ultimately, The World doesn’t see many more global
        • Historical events ( page 24 ) – ‘Because all myths are true and the ripples of Fate make them crash into one another on a regular basis, many violent upheavals in The World’s history have divine motivations lurking behind their earthly facades. When Scions get involved, the facade is more of a clear glass window, but even then events remain more or less recognizable. These deity-driven wars and invasions more heavily impact Terra Incognita, the lands of myth, shifting the balance of power across the Overworld or changing the nature of a God-realm depending on who wins. Sometimes they begin in the Overworld only to spill out into The World through worshippers, and other times a Scion sounds the battle cry first and the Gods who would profit from her victory gather behind it. The American occupation of Haiti had dark overtones of Columbia, Goddess of America, warring against the Loa. The Knights Templar led Crusades to wipe out pantheistic worship altogether. Caesar’s campaign in Gaul wasn’t a dubiously legal quasi-war, it was a one-Scion campaign of annihilation and deification by the self-professed Son of Venus against the Gods of the Sacred Shrines. The Theoi killed most of the Nemetondevos while the Romans enslaved their worshippers, and Caesar finally attained the requisite deeds needed to complete Divus Iulius’ apotheosis after mortal death.’
        • Globalization, from 19th century onward ( page 25 ) ‘Once humans developed various means of instant communication and, especially, the unstoppable force of mass media, all bets were off. If Hera personally transformed some mortal into a bird for insulting her now, tabloids and Facebook would ensure that thousands of people would be Fatebound to her within the day. Openly dropping miracles on the populace to drum up worship garners such an overwhelmingly large response from so many people that a deity’s self-image is pulled in a million directions, stretched to the breaking point by a million different interpretations of what he’s done. The Gods thus have a strong incentive to take a backseat and stay behind the curtain.
        • Humanity works good without Gods ( page 25 )‘While the blinding speed of human progress strongly impacted the Gods, the same was not particularly true in reverse. Worship and blessings certainly provide inspiration and reduce obstacles, but ultimately humanity is miraculous on its own merits when it comes to the spirit of innovation and the will to break boundaries. Mortals, not Scions, were responsible for most major advances in science and technology — largely because Scions have fewer limitations that need conquering, and their burgeoning destinies keep them plenty busy. This is why the modern World looks more or less identical to ours from a broad perspective, rather than some hyper-advanced super society that runs on marvels.
        • Many Gods, and to some extent their children, still think in patterns established long ago, when humanity had nowhere else to turn for answers and relied on the goodwill of their pantheons to survive harsh climates and rampant plagues. While mortals still ask the Gods for blessings in everything from agriculture to war to love, modern humanity has taken charge of its own destiny in ways the Gods never could have imagined a few hundred years ago, and it colors every interaction with the divine.
        • Gods are reluctant to intervene in World in first place ( page 26 ) – The pantheons all have their own reasons for living in the Overworld — some were banished, while others just like paradise better than wading in among the hairy little mortals — but they all know the cost of imposing themselves upon The World too often or too boldly. Zeus learned his lesson when Hera tricked him into incinerating his mortal lover Semele with his full glory revealed. The Tuatha Dé Danann once lived in Ireland proper, and what did it get them? War, invasion, exile, and Fatebinding so powerful it turned their own geasa back upon them, ensuring they would always be just as compelled by taboos and oaths as their enemies. The more the Gods stand directly in front of the camera, the larger and brighter the spotlight that Titans use to choose their targets, and the more collateral damage piles up as their battles rage. They’re not afraid to make their power known and aren’t out to hide their miracles from The World — it’s just bloody inconvenient to put them center stage.’
        • Mortals do not see past the plans of Gods ( page 27) - Tough The World is rife with modern mythology, everyday mortals take most of it on faith. Only the tip of the divine iceberg peeks out from behind the curtain, and its inherent mystery lets it defy easy categorization or industrialization. The rest explodes into vibrant color in Terra Incognita, but for the most part those are impossible to reach for anyone without a Legend of her own. But humanity believes, and that’s powerful. In lieu of overbearing presence, the fingers of the Gods reach into The World in a million little ways.’
        • Gods worship was done In secret ( page 28 ) – ‘Explorers with keen eyes and attentive students of history uncover a diverse plethora of shrines and temples tucked away in every corner of The World, built over continuous ages of worship that never completely died out. A colony of rune-shaped holes dug into the side of a mountain in mystical patterns shows where a Scion’s cult once dedicated the rock face to her burgeoning Legend. Mausolea in Ireland are designed as tiny replicas of Teach Duinn tower with ominous landbound lighthouses above deep, stone-lined pits where layers of soil hide centuries of votive sacrifices. A series of carved wooden posts that never decay marks a path that winds through a hidden bog, laid to guide not people, but spirits, through treacherous lands to the safety of home. Every city in The World boasts an altar dedicated to its patron deity. In some cities it’s displayed prominently at the center of a massive square downtown, while in others it’s not listed on any map and would-be pilgrims must know the secret signs (or buy an expensive black-market global positioning system app) to find it. Hints of forgotten rites and miracles litter The World, lingering in caves and deserts, waiting in sunken shipwrecks and rusted armories, buried beneath graveyards and standing sentinel atop cliffsides. They may even stand in plain sight — Gods’ faces carved into the mantels of mansions lining a particular avenue or prayers etched into the bricks of every third building on a college campus — and people view them as curiosities that only push past the periphery of their lives if something draws special attention to them.’
        On another, we have like this:
        • Worship and interactions with divine is show as too common, in light of assumptions above done with ‘Masquarade’ ( Page 22 ) – ‘Most people assume that Tuli causes some earthquakes and Poseidon causes others with no particular need to choose just one legend. They pray for protection from a tremor to whichever God — or Gods — they feel will get the job done best.’
        Second quote on that ( page 27 ) – ‘When the Phillies win The World Series, they take a moment to sing a hymn to Ogma or Nike before the afterparty. Meanwhile, the San Francisco Giants have a literal giant as their mascot, and they only recruit players the titanspawn thinks are worthy — at least, according to the general manager, who demurs as to whether it’s merely a very tall man in a taller suit.
        The small-print legalese in movie credits includes clauses to protect the filmmakers not only from copyright infringement but from offending any aes sídhe whose names or domains happen to resemble the contents of the film.’ – THIS ARE CRAZY OBVIOUS INTERACTIONS!
        • Contradiction, of marking the Gods made actions famous so people would not forget them ( page 25 ) - ‘It makes The World a more jaded place than it used to be, but the pantheons still dip their toes in the water often enough and deeply enough that nobody forgets they’re out there. Scions have an easier time of it, but they run into the same problem. Anytime a confrontation with titanspawn or a grand plan gone awry gets too explosive, a dozen iPhone cameras stream the scene across the globe in real time and Fate works its will. Some Scions don’t care, choosing fame and impossible stardom over agency in their own stories, but most try to keep a slightly lower profile when it comes to leaping buildings and calling down lightning.– Gods are taking low-profile, but running profile on Facebook is okay? :-O CONTRADICTION!
        • Gods as topic of whole popculture and gossips ( page 26 ) – It means the water-cooler conversation is about Coyote’s latest shenanigans as often as it is about which actor is dating whom. It means people attribute urban legends to particular pantheons or creatures, and conspiracy theorists are out to debunk them rather than prove them. Magic and miracles are a fact of life. They’re wondrous, breath-taking, terrifying, awe-inspiring — but they’re not unbelievable.
        Like anything else, the exploits of the Gods and everyone associated with them makes for excellent media fodder. The ancient tradition of sitting around telling each other stories about the time Gaya knocked Krishna over with his chariot still goes on today, except now instead of a dozen people gathered around a fire, the audience is the entire World. Television, films, comic books, novels, and sensationalist news sources all regularly portray Scions and Gods performing great deeds just as they do in our world. In The World, though, the subjects are more varied. Prime-time dramas about minor third-string deities from every culture air with relative frequency, and super-hero tales veer into religious territory as Scions and Godly Incarnations take up a larger chunk of public imagination when it comes to what makes a power fantasy. Children occasionally choose real-World Scions they’ve read about or even seen in person to emulate when they play. The Gods endure a small but steady stream of prayers and sacrifices from people desperate to be chosen for the gift of divinity, and a few more dedicated myth-hunters prowl the edges of rumor in hopes of coming face to face with a transformative experience.’ Gods actions as workplace gossips and TV news?! WHAT ABOUT ALL THE GODS SECRECY AND NON-INVOLVEMENT from previous points? ( Conspiracy Theorists or Cultists are all good – the problem are TV news about Gods actions! )

Reality of The World

I.E. ‘All Myths are True’ part – On the same page (sic! 30 of Origin ) we have:
        ‘When scientists dig, they find flaked stone tools and pre-human hominid bones. When they study flesh and blood, they find mitochondria and DNA. The World’s speed of light is a constant, and its physicists search for ways to unite General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory.‘

And counter to it:
        ‘Yet they know myths have standing. The fact that The World rests on the Great Turtle is literally true, but you can only perceive it from a certain point of view. From another such perspective, some humans are descended from bears. This is more than a state of mind. From the right point of view, you can get a glimpse of the shell mighty enough to hold mountains, or see the fanged skulls of ancestors.
        History follows similar patterns. Archeologists find flint axes and copper helmets from the Achaean period of Greek history, but not the “anachronistic” tripod prizes and other elements mentioned by Homer, unless they also fit conventional history.’

Sum up

It’s a mess. Scion’s The World cannot stick to one model or another. There is many contradictions in base assumptions of Scion’s The World. I will probably stick more to the ‘Gods are rather hidden’ option, just to stick one way with the world presentation and have consistent setting. I may break it from time to time – like (secret ) ‘Aesir Cathedra’ in Reykjavik – but will stick to run Gods as things you worship more in secret.

Will run ‘All Myths are True’ as competing Legend Trait rolls for one scene between particular powerful local beings of Myth. Will probably run Christianity as using Relics of Old Gods by calling their powers as coming from similar in concept Saints of Church. Stuff like that.
        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-20-2018, 07:43 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
          It’s a mess. Scion’s The World cannot stick to one model or another. There is many contradictions in base assumptions of Scion’s The World[B].
          For me, that is kind of the point. The World is a mess. There is no way to reconcile all of the different mythologies never mind adding in real world history and still have the game of Scion. There for we don't try to reconcile them... All Myths are True. In any given game you can certainly focus in on one mythology (or a small set of them) and use what you want, but the setting doesn't rule out any options. It certainly can be messy and sometimes contradictory but I at least have no problem with that.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

I.E. ‘Gods do not show themselves to people and worship of them is in secret’ – on one hand we have facts like this:
            Ah, found your problem.

Worship of them is in secret

Literally nothing in the book in any way, shape, or for, suggests that worship of the Gods or the existence thereof is secret.

The Gods are known things and nobody doubts this. This is KNOWN in the World. There is no grand conspiracy, there is no hiding. Literally nobody in the Scion 2e books ever implied that this was the case, because the idea that Zeus would let people think he is fake is DUMB

You're making a point with several assertions that start from a false assumption. The central lynchpin of many of your noted contraditions, which seem to be "One part says worship is in secret but others say it's commonplace" falls apart under this.
            Last edited by Kyman201; 12-21-2018, 12:16 AM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Nothing in all that mountain of texts you quoted is actually saying that Gods are unknown and that worship of them happens in secret... Gods tend to avoid acting directly since that Fatebinds them to acting in specific Patterns... you are using the example of a single city (Rome, the literal heart of the Catholic Church) and the indication that some City Patrons obscure their shrines (while ignoring the text right next to it that noting that many of them are prominent and openly displayed.

And guess what... Facebook Pages, Contracts with filmmakers and prayers from sports teams are excellent ways to make sure you remain known and popular in the World while not having to act directly.

The World might be a mess, but it's not a mess the way you seem to be thinking it to be... it is a mess because All Myths are True, which means there are innumerable Sun Gods and Moon Gods running across the Sky, there's a million origins for humanity, and a thousand voices whispering on the Storm... all of which is an important starting premise for a game about Mythology, which is what, first and foremost, Scion is.

Also noteworthy, a Facebook Page, unless it showcases Gods actually doing something, has no effect on Fatebonds at all... they key off Actions, not Rumours or Beliefs or Portrayals or Prayers. Zeus has a hard time not cheating on his wife because he's done that so much he's Bound to find opportunities to do that again when he comes to the World, whether he wants to or not... Kali, on the other hand, can have trolls posting Temple of Doom vids on her Facebook Page all they want... it won't affect her since she didn't actually do any of that.

Comment

My personal approach has been (and I admit that I've probably ripped off a lot of stuff from these forums for it.) that all myths are true in the fact that they all began in what effectively exist as different realities, these are the mythic pasts, where the most fundamental myths of the pantheons began, though its unclear whether they came first or if humanity retroactively created them through their beliefs. However for each and all there has been an essential decline of direct involvement, usually following the sealing and binding of the titans and other major threats to humanity. Once humanity became relatively free to exercise their freedom upon the world, they started affecting the Gods through fate bindings, something that the Gods didn't terribly care for. As such, they withdrew from the world, and with their departure went many of the elements of the mythic pasts. What remained without these mythical textures is essentially the Bare World, a singular world without the divisions set by the mythic pasts, where humanity instead was allowed to operate among themselves without the rule and supervision of Gods. In the Bare World, all the natural laws as we understand them today function. However humanity never truly forgot the mythic pasts, The Greeks remember the Age of Heroes, the Aztecs recorded the cycle of previous worlds, the Celts knew of a time before the Tuatha de Danaan departed from Eiriu, etc. they all are essentially successor states, or perhaps refugees from the mythic pasts, now adapted to living within the Bare World. Within that cultural memory, many continued to honor them, perhaps not as directly as worship, but through superstitions and rites.

But the world was never fully bare, the Gods never truly left their creations, and they have always been inclined to meddle, even despite the consequences of fate-bindings altering them. The involvement of gods has waxed and waned, often exerting themselves during pivotal times of their favored cultures' history. Often this has even led towards pantheons being destroyed, as the conflict between cultures mirrored itself in the realm of the Gods, though it's important to note that lack of worship or knowledge of a pantheon is not a cause of that pantheon's destruction, but a symptom. Some gods even submitted to fate binding and the creation of new mantles, or even sub-pantheons (such as the Loa) as a sacrifice for the benefit of those they favored.

And then of course there are scions. Though not as common as during the Mythic pasts, scions have always remained in the world, and their existence in and of itself helps to reassert that Pantheon's mythic texture. As a scion grows in legend, they bring more of that texture with them, often unconsciously, as they face similar challenges to the heroes of their mythic past. This was often a harrowing experience for most scions and the world around them, and it has often been the policy of the Gods to avoid visitations precisely for the reason of avoiding too much of the mythic bleeding onto the bare world.

More recently however, there is increasing degrees of titanic activity. What its cause is is unknown, but most worry about impending apocalypses, Ragnarok and such. The titans, less concerned with the fate bindings of man, are ready to wreak havoc on the World, and the Gods believe that humanity is ill-prepared to deal with them. With renewed Titanomachy, the world is already beginning to be drawn back into the mythic, their textures reasserting themselves onto the bare world. However with all of this occurring more or less simultaneously, rather than the World once again splitting into its Mythic origins, the World instead has begun melding into a much more chaotic mishmash of these cultures. The Gods themselves worry that even aside from the dangers posed by the Titans, that this degree of contradiction could in effect damage the stability of fate itself and cause damage to everything. They now debate among themselves on whether they could stabilize the World, either by once again scourging the Mythic from its surface, or if instead they could guide it towards some more harmonious singular texture.

I see this all as kind of a vehicle for the player's choices to shape the nature of the World. Initially as the Titans begin to awake, things slowly become more chaotic, as the mythic springs back into the world unguided and unrestrained while the players struggle to keep up, however as the Player Scions begin to amass their own legend, they have the opportunity to begin to shape that world. If certain pantheons are more prominent in your story, than the World begins to look more like them, people, seeing the power of those scions and the effect they have at stemming the influence of the Titans, begin to reassert the worship of their pantheons, and the world itself begins to shape itself to conform to those mythologies' cosmology.

So to give your contemporary Poland example, for most of history it all occurred as expected, though some of the old Slavic pagan traditions may have survived hiding, either directly, or metaphorically, within the local culture. However after monsters and titanspawn start showing up, if a band of Slavic Scions started going around beating them up, than gradually the world would start to look more and more like how that mythology recognized it, and the people themselves would, in the face of overwhelming evidence of the Slavic Gods existence and power, begin to adopt that faith. That being said I don't necessarily give the Abrahamic faiths a wide berth in Scion, so it could just as easily be a Band of Christian (and other Abrahamic) scions helping to assert God and his angels' powers on the World in a more direct fashion in the face of Armageddon.

In essence, I like to run Scion in a more Apocalyptic fashion, regardless of whether or not the Titans and the destruction they wreak are the direct threat, the world is on the brink of fairly direct change, and its up to the players to help decide what that change is.

Granted, I haven't completely finalized all of this, and it's still rather work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravian View Post
                  (Whole idea)
                  It's EXACTLY how I imagined running the Scion before reading actual 2E books! I'm still all hands for it. With The World that slowly forgot about Gods ( but not completely ), with no Gods Facebook profiles until start of chronicles ( at least, not the ones different than our Real World neopagans ) and Players as Scions of Gods leading next Mythic Age for humanity. This is the game I wanted to run!

Originally posted by Ravian View Post
                  Granted, I haven't completely finalized all of this, and it's still rather work in progress.
                  Ravian, I would gladly help you with this kind of setting Hack for the game.

I will start the topic and use your idea post for basis premise to start it. Here it is:

[2E Setting Hack] Gods in Hiding and new Mythic Age

This would be great!
                  Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-21-2018, 02:04 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                  LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Just don't think about it.

The premise of the setting doesn't logically make sense but who cares. Just go with it and explain away every "But if ancient gods and religions have continued to be relevant than shouldn't..." question with a Scion Did It. There you go, logic issue solved. Huzzah.

Now go fight Fafnir with your astra while you ride a pegasus.
                    Last edited by Weirdboyz; 12-21-2018, 05:12 PM.

Comment

"Why does history look the same?" is a question that takes apart every urban fantasy that assumes things are more or less the same as our current world. Dresden Files, Marvel, DC, Sanctuary, Chronicles of Darkness, World of Darkness....in none of these settings should the world have countries and cultures recognizable to us. History should have gone off in very different directions but it didn't. The only urban fantasy I can think of that gets away with this is Shadowrun, barely, by having magic absent for all of recorded history up until the awakening.

The Masquerade and the broad strokes of history remaining are both equally silly. For that matter, having a Masquerade does nothing to fix the problem with history.

You seem to be caught up in the idea that there has to be some sort of conflict between all these various pantheons. Not really necessary.

As some have said, a general Titanomachy has never happened in the setting as is because there are only some mythologies that include such a concept. Some settings include an end to the world. Some don't.

There's quite a few ways to consider this. Perhaps the World is layered in the way an MMO is where on one layer the world is round and orbiting a ball of gas because there are religions that incorporate real-world scientific fact into their belief, and on another layer the world is flat and bordered on all sides by water, and on another layer the world was made from the body Ymir, and on another layer it rests on a giant turtle. But we don't notice all the layers at once. We just walk through the layer we're on, though we can see other people on other layers. Like the same way two people on different layers of the same zone in an MMO can talk and both be having very different visual experiences but still seeing each other.

That's just one way.

As to the faith thing. The only place where "gods need prayer badly" shows up is in fiction and games. There's not a religion where gods are beholden to their worshipers.
                      Last edited by Thrythlind; 12-22-2018, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is a good touchstone here for how you can add alternate elements to history and still keep the outcomes the same shape.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

In regards to how every myth can be true, think of it like this: It's a bit how quantum mechanics work. Every particle is just a range of probabilities. It can be everywhere at once, but some places are more likely than others.
                          The World is like that. It is a range of overlapping realities and probabilities. Every creation myth increases the probability that the world exists, like waves that build upon each other.

Alternatively, think of it like this: Every myth is real from a certain perspective. If you look at it from the way of a certain pantheon, it looks like that, if you look at it from the way of science, it is the world we live in now.

As for how Abrahamic and old pantheons exist at the same time, well... Go by the "No Gods before me", so many worship God on Sunday, but goes to a temple to Odin on Wednesday for example, and there's nothing wrong with that.

As for no masquereade, well, the size and scale people operate at in Scion kinda make it impossible.
                          Quite hard to deny that an Ice Giant rampages through Time Square and then having a Scion of Thor summon a thunderstorm to smite them.

Comment

Basically, think of it like this: the world are layers upon layers of probabilities that all exist at the same time.

Also, don't think CoD regarding the publicity or scales of your characters, think more Super Hero Comics, like Marvel, or anime. They start out street level but grow into world, or multiverse saving demigods and outright gods, wielding the power to Warp reality itself

Comment

Yeah, one of the reasons for creating the Storypath system was because Storyteller was ill-suited to the sort grand, epic feats that Scion was meant to be focusing on.

Time will tell here, but my opinion here is that Gods and Heroes are about protecting the stability of either mortal or immortal society while Demigods are about changing whole swathes of reality within the context of your pantheon.

Comment

Originally posted by The Eternal Keeper View Post
                                As for how Abrahamic and old pantheons exist at the same time, well... Go by the "No Gods before me", so many worship God on Sunday, but goes to a temple to Odin on Wednesday for example, and there's nothing wrong with that.
                                I think that attitude is in Origins. "Many people go to Church Sunday morning and then make an offering at another temple in the afternoon, and few, if any, see a contradiction."

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X