Beasts' Innate Power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beasts' Innate Power

Does Beasts’ innate power seem rather meh to anyone else? Other purviews get a useful innate, like Death’s ability talk to ghosts and detect portals to the Underworld, but Beasts just gets protection from mundane, non-controlled animals. Since most animals in the wild avoid humans anyway, and scions would hardly have any difficulty dealing with normal animals, it’s seems a rather useless power. Maybe some campaigns have regular occurrences where scions find themselves in jungles where a tiger decides to attack them for some reason, or there’s a rabies outbreak among the dogs in an African village, but it’s not the kind of thing that comes up regularly in my games.

In my game, I think I’ll take the Leader of the Pack boon and add that to the innate. The scion can then use their socials on the animal as normal, perhaps with a limit based on legend as to when the animal loses interest and wanders off.

I’d replace the Leader of the Pack with a boon that calls a mundane animal, or animals, depending on their size/power and the scion’s legend. The type of animal would have to be present with the area – say legend miles (so no calling penguins in the arctic), and shows up because fate organized for them to be there when the legend was imbued, and stays for the Scene or until un-imbued. The scion is then left to convince them to do whatever he has in mind using the (new) innate and whatever social powers he can bring to bear.

Discussion?

Depends on the campaign, really, but comparisons to real world animal behavior isn't all that useful. Animals are going to be as aggressive or non-aggressive as the GM desires. Bears, sharks, guard dogs, escaped tigers, rabid animals, startled snakes or spiders, and other such things are stuff that a character with Beasts doesn't have to worry about. Seems useful to me.

Comment

It also has the added benefit of providing a motif to work Marvels with.

Comment

The user only gets a Beasts motif if they take a sacred animal to specialize in, and changing the innate doesn't affect that in any way.

Regarding utility; sure, if your campaign operates under the premise that mundane animals are hyper-aggressive, then I don't see a problem with the innate as written. Even then, I doubt that a legend 1 hero would have so much difficulty coping with a mundane animal that they'd need a special power to do it. I suppose there may be some use to animals not be able to attack a Beasts user (even when he's attacking them?) if the GM put a pack of rabid dogs in the band's path. Since the innate doesn't affect controlled or Legendary animals (and what constitutes "controlled"? If I got a +1 attitude shift on the animal through a power, are they considered controlled?), I still think it's an innate with extremely limited application. Each to his own.
        Last edited by Fairlyhyperman; 12-20-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

If you choose to specialize, does that limit the innate?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

The thought process behind innates is less that they’re cool in their own right and more that it’s supposed to cover the boring stuff you need for the cool effects (so someone buying pyrokinetic boons doesn’t need to waste a boon on not getting burned by their own powers). The Beast Purview Innate covers the general dealing with animals that all the cool effects build off of.

If it’s comparatively less cool it’s because dealing with animals is probably only something you’re going to bother with if you’re dealing in the Beast Purview, unlike breathing underwater or being fireproof or seeing ghosts which would be more likely to come up anyway. I don’t really see a solution for that though.
            Last edited by glamourweaver; 12-20-2018, 08:06 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
              The thought process behind innates is less that they’re cool in their own right and more that it’s supposed to cover the boring stuff you need for the cool effects (so someone buying pyrokinetic boons doesn’t need to waste a boon on not getting burned by their own powers). The Beast Purview Innate covers the general dealing with animals that all the cool effects build off of.
              I'd accept that if it weren't for the fact that you need to buy a boon just to talk to animals in the first place. Unless all other boons just involve channeling aspects of animals, or perhaps brute force mind-controlling them, you're going to have to communicate with them at some point; in which case Leader of the Pack is a mandatory boon.
              Last edited by Fairlyhyperman; 12-20-2018, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fairlyhyperman View Post

I'd accept that if it weren't for the fact that you need to buy a boon just to talk to animals in the first place. Unless all other boons just involve channeling aspects of animals, or perhaps brute force mind-controlling them, you're going to have to communicate with them at some point; in which case Leader of the Pack is a mandatory boon.
                I could see folding Leader of the Pack into the innate. I’ll consider it for my own table.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                  If you choose to specialize, does that limit the innate?

I'd think that specializations don't limit the innate, otherwise it'd be even less use.

Comment

I'd think that specializations don't limit the innate, otherwise it'd be even less use.
                    I don't necessarily think that is true. My read is that it IS limiting, but that's ok. If a character at the table has Beasts (Marmot), I would expect part of the fun would be for the players and Storyguide to find out interesting ways for marmots and/or marmot-like characteristics to be useful. Like... Marmot Girl.

...Now I want to make that character...
                    Last edited by saedar; 12-20-2018, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Specialization limits the usefulness of everything else in a purview (in return for the Motif). Why would the Innate be different from all the Boons or possible Marvels in that regard?

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                        Specialization limits the usefulness of everything else in a purview (in return for the Motif). Why would the Innate be different from all the Boons or possible Marvels in that regard?
                        You're right, and I guess that's fine with Artistry and Passion's innates, and would be fine if Beasts' innate as currently written didn't just limit you to not being attacked by marmots

Comment

You're right, and I guess that's fine with Artistry and Passion's innates, and would be fine if Beasts' innate as currently written didn't just limit you to not being attacked by marmots
                          They're very fierce, I assure you.

Comment

I’m inclined to allow simple concept communication at an animal’s own realistic cognitive level as part of the innate. Leader of the Pack then enhances that to the animals you communicate with or command understanding much more complex ideas and directions than would be realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by saedar View Post
                              I don't necessarily think that is true. My read is that it IS limiting, but that's ok. If a character at the table has Beasts (Marmot), I would expect part of the fun would be for the players and Storyguide to find out interesting ways for marmots and/or marmot-like characteristics to be useful. Like... Marmot Girl.

...Now I want to make that character...
                              Literally how Squirrel girl worked.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Working...
                              X