Beasts' Innate Power

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fairlyhyperman View Post
    Does Beasts’ innate power seem rather meh to anyone else? Other purviews get a useful innate, like Death’s ability talk to ghosts and detect portals to the Underworld, but Beasts just gets protection from mundane, non-controlled animals. Since most animals in the wild avoid humans anyway, and scions would hardly have any difficulty dealing with normal animals, it’s seems a rather useless power. Maybe some campaigns have regular occurrences where scions find themselves in jungles where a tiger decides to attack them for some reason, or there’s a rabies outbreak among the dogs in an African village, but it’s not the kind of thing that comes up regularly in my games.

In my game, I think I’ll take the Leader of the Pack boon and add that to the innate. The scion can then use their socials on the animal as normal, perhaps with a limit based on legend as to when the animal loses interest and wanders off.

Discussion?

Remember the fact that your characters are living legends for whom Fate itself conspires against.

How many stories, legends and myths can you think of that involve the characters engaging with malicious animals in some form or another?

One of Hercules' very first demonstrations of his divine powers is when Hera tries to kill him as an infant with a pair of snakes.

Ordinary, every day humans might not have much to worry about in regards to wild animal attacks. But Scions are a different story, since the Powers That Be have taken an active interest in their lives.
    Last edited by Nyrufa; 12-22-2018, 02:59 AM.

Comment

It's also thematically awesome as well. Yes, Epic Strength lets you toss a car at someone and that seems cooler, because it's a combat-useful power, but the innate power of Beasts will make you look like what you are; someone rolling with godlike powers. When you wander into a tiger enclosure to catch a nap, or you're the one who can ride the horse that's 'too spirited' for anyone else to approach, or you swim with sharks, it's impossible for other people not to know that you're blessed.

The cool factor alone is well worth the investment.

That said, I don't see how folding in at least part of Leader of the Pack (the communication aspect anyway) would in any way be unfair of too much. I'd suggest that anything that allows you to affect their Attitude toward you may require a separate power that requires imbuing Legend but speaking to and being at no risk of harm from animals wrapped up together as an innate seems like a fair compromise.

Comment

It’s useful in the Jungle as insects and arachnids are a deadly pain, also useful for setting up traps where you stumble upon a swarm of bats or bees or sharks.

So thing is while talking to Ghosts may seem useful more often, if you are immune to Beasts you can set up quite the advantage by actually using that to your advantage. Be Batman or Doctor Bees.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

See, yeah. Batman, while he doesn't do terribly much with bats makes me think of why the communication aspect might not be the best basic thing for Beasts. I suppose Spider-Man might be even better as he's got more spider features going on with him. Were Peter Parker a Hero level Scion I'd throw Beasts (Spider) with Animal Aspect for Spider Sense and probably Epic Strength out of somewhere. I've been working out a bounty hunter character with Beasts (Wolf) going on for Animal Aspect and potentially Tooth and Claw. His thing is more about being the wolf, metaphorically, than having legions of wolves at his beck and call.

Comment

Originally posted by AutoDefenestrate View Post
            See, yeah. Batman, while he doesn't do terribly much with bats makes me think of why the communication aspect might not be the best basic thing for Beasts. I suppose Spider-Man might be even better as he's got more spider features going on with him.
            I wouldn’t give either of those characters the Beast Purview at all to be honest. Spider Sense would probably be an expression of Epic Dex heightening reflexes to superhuman levels in one of his Boons. The only spidery thing he does that isn’t Epic Dex or Epic Strength are the webs, and that’s a feature power of relics.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

They may have access to spider and bat motifs tho but yeah i agree they don't have access to the beast purview.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes
              Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I wouldn’t give either of those characters the Beast Purview at all to be honest. Spider Sense would probably be an expression of Epic Dex heightening reflexes to superhuman levels in one of his Boons. The only spidery thing he does that isn’t Epic Dex or Epic Strength are the webs, and that’s a feature power of relics.

Actually, Spidey Sense would be Epic Perception, since he doesn't even have to know where the threat is coming from in order for it to warn him. Not only that, but it warns him of danger just before it strikes, not during the attack.

And according to Death Battle, it gives him omniscient awareness of his surroundings. Which explains how he's able to sling his webs and perform his crazy acrobatics without even having to look where he's going.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                  Actually, Spidey Sense would be Epic Perception.
                  Not a thing at the moment.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Hm. Spidey sense would be tricky. I feel that it would work as a knack. There is a guardian knack that gives bonus against dangers. But i could see it fit thematically with knacks from the sage calling (master of the world i think, i don't have access to the pdf at the moment) and maybe the hunter calling.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes
                    Currently playing: Being a dad for a 1year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

Yeah, I can see how neither don't really have the purview. I was mostly running off the mention of Eldagusto of Batman and I figured Spider-Man seemed more like one who ran with Beasts over Bats.

But I'd definitely say that a superhero like Spider-Man falls into the Guardian calling. For the most part Spidey's focus is on saving the people over fighting the big monsters. His tendency to crack wise almost makes me want to give him Trickster too, but I'm not sure I'd really put that in for him, and depending on how hard you're laying on his scientific achievements he could be a Creator or Sage, I suppose. Anyway, I guess this isn't a Stat a fictional character thread.

Comment

Yeah that sounds like a good spidey analysis, he is epic dex with emphasis on agility over speed, though he is hella fast. And 10 ton strength range.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                          Yeah that sounds like a good spidey analysis, he is epic dex with emphasis on agility over speed, though he is hella fast. And 10 ton strength range.
                          I did a write of him a while ago (not shared on the forums, waiting for appropeite thread). I did give him Animal Aspect (wallcrawling, I think), but his abilities were generally emulated through other means. Epic Dex, Epic Str and the Guardian calling represent his powers. Beast (Spiders) is mostly there for flavour and the extra motif.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Specialization limits the usefulness of everything else in a purview (in return for the Motif). Why would the Innate be different from all the Boons or possible Marvels in that regard?

This isn't true for Beast. Specializing Beast only limits Marvels and Boons that let you take on animal characteristics. Of the Boons listed in Hero, this specifically leaves out the one that lets you talk to any animal.

It is specifically less limiting than Artistry and Passion. And those two call out Marvels and Boons as the only things limited by specializing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenmancer View Post

This isn't true for Beast. Specializing Beast only limits Marvels and Boons that let you take on animal characteristics. Of the Boons listed in Hero, this specifically leaves out the one that lets you talk to any animal.

It is specifically less limiting than Artistry and Passion. And those two call out Marvels and Boons as the only things limited by specializing.
                              So this got brought up with Neall on the Discord... When asked if, say, Leader of the Pack would apply to all animals even if you take the Specialized Purview.

His answer was, and I quote, "I don't see why not".

This... Opens the door to MANY possibilities.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

What if the innate bonus was modified to apply to animals of a lower tier regardless of legendary status? Then at least it would apply to magical animals but would still allow for dramatic battles with powerful creatures.

Comment

Working...
                                X