Other supernatural creatures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other supernatural creatures

Ok so I know that all myths are true and there are a plethora of various mythic creatures running around. However, I was curious about non-mythic stuff out there, like vampires, werewolves, fae or changelings, demons, angels, etc. Is there a place for them in this kind of universe? Also, are regular humans able to do magic, maybe something similar to Mage, Dresden, or Witchcraft? Do human-only magical organizations exist?

Also, how many scions are supposed to be out there?

Originally posted by ChewyGranola View Post
    Ok so I know that all myths are true and there are a plethora of various mythic creatures running around. However, I was curious about non-mythic stuff out there, like vampires, werewolves, fae or changelings, demons, angels, etc. Is there a place for them in this kind of universe? Also, are regular humans able to do magic, maybe something similar to Mage, Dresden, or Witchcraft? Do human-only magical organizations exist?

Also, how many scions are supposed to be out there?
    There totally are Vampires, Werewolves, Fey, Changelings, Demons, and Angels in Scion, though not exactly in the modern 'WoD' sense if that makes sense? There are hundreds of different mythological creatures that are modernly 'grouped' as Vampires in the West, similarly with Werewolves. An individual Pantheon might even have two or three different creatures in their texts that fit as such, blood drinking creatures of the night, or wolf-like shapeshifters. So, while both exist in the world of Scion, they absolutely are mythic. The Túatha Dé Danann raise undead that have to be killed by having stakes driven through their hearts during their wanderings across the world in Lebor Gabála Érenn, the Theoi have King Lycaon, almost every Pantheon has a group of supernatural beings that can qualify given enough squinting at the modern idea of what a 'Vampire' or 'Werewolf' is. So, there totally are, but probably only mortals call them 'Vampires' or 'Werewolves' as the beings grouped together under those terms don't believe they are the same as the rest of them, it's a false equivalency essentially.

Fey and Changelings are just Irish and later Scottish. The Áos Síd from the Irish Sagas work alongside the Túatha Dé Danann and often steal children who are replaced by Fey alternatives called Changelings or Fetches, with the 'real child' sometimes returning from the Otherworld with supernatural talents. CúChulainn himself was stolen away as young man forcing his wife Emer to storm the Otherworld with her fifty handmaidens armed with knives to threaten Fand, the person who enthralled CúChulainn, into letting her husband go. Oisin and Niamh in Tír na nOg is another example, with the later medieval Scottish and English tales of Tam Lyn and Thomas the Rhymer both playing into similar notions.

Demons and Angels, well, the Abrahamic Faiths do exist in Scion and are just as real as any others so they do totally exist and are out there. I don't think any official publication will go into details on them, but they absolutely are around.

For humans doing magic, the answer is 'Yes, for some kinds of magic.' As Scion operates with the mythic realities of literally every Pantheon that has ever existed, there are many ways for mortals to gain magic! However, pretty much nothing at all like Mage or Dresden as those are very very modernly inspired notions of magic where as in Scion someone would practice a magical system specific to a certain magical tradition, with each Pantheon potentially having several of these. They would all be different, some are good, some are morally neutral, and some are fundamentally abhorrent evil and the direct antagonists of Scions for certain Pantheons (such as the Orisha or the Abosom of the Ashanti) it all ultimately depends on which Pantheon you are looking at. There will eventually be mechanical support for this with a group of beings dubbed Sorcerers which is just a blanket term for this borderline-infinite number of magical traditions across the face of the world.

Mortal only magical organizations probably exist, though it gets into the complicated realm of 'Well what exactly is a mortal?' The Shén, Devá and Túatha Dé Danann are probably the most likely to have them, but these are people who are capable of throwing down with Gods so.... maybe they're not really 'mortals' in the traditional sense. Irish champions for instance have a plethora of overtly magical talents and tricks and go toe to toe with the supernatural frequently, to the extent that they are something more than 'just' human.

And, number of Scions is totally left to individual Storytellers to decide on. The number of Scions in a setting determine a lot about the flavor and importance of certain things. In my games I normally have each Pantheon has 0-3 Scions active in the world at the time Modernly as from my perspective there are so many Pantheons that must exist, that still gives you a fairly large number of Scions, but not so large as to make it common for Scions to exist. Everyone does this differently however, and it's sort of up to you as the ST to decide what you want for the context of your game.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
    The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire.
    The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples.
    The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation.

Comment

There are "denizen" templates that are designed to fit multiple different creature types. Like the Kitsune template could be used to represent the foxes in China, Japan, and Korea...or some of the trickster rabbits in North American pantheons. I think I've heard the naga of India might also fit the Kitsune path well.

Meanwhile Abrahamic Demons and Angels are mostly discussed as the subject of fan-made pantheons. The usual thing I hear is YHWH as the pantheon Primordial with the other entities filling the role of Gods and scions of that pantheon mostly being Chosen rather than Born. I'm partial to viewing the Catholic style Saints as a pantheon as well rather than as the Saint path.

As Watcher states there's a lot of different brands of Sorcerers. There's the Netjer who I think see sorcerer as just another profession and the Shen who have a number of strange mystics and hermits. Where as with an Abrahamic pantheon sorcerers are trying to force their will on matters such as kabbalists and those with acceptable supernatural powers would be chosen scions rather than sorcerers in terms of mechanics.

Vampires are going to be almost nothing like Hollywood vampires. Most mythical and folkloric vamps are extremely monstrous rather than seductive. (which doesn't stop our group from modding things a bit because some of us like the modern sort of vampire.)

Comment

Working...
      X