Pantheons conflicts regions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pantheons conflicts regions

Topic for pointing example World settings where two or more Pantheons are fighting over one region. What we have to this day:

Baltic Region – Aesir & Bogi ( Bogovi ) & Dievai (Baltic Pantheon) – Northern Poland, Latvia, Lithuania & Western Russia – Proposed by wyrdhamster and Sacerdos

Slavic lands over Baltic Sea for centuries were raided by Vikings – and with them, by Aesir. Norseman brought their gods that fight with gods of Slavs. Now those relations are… tense. Both Aesir and Bogi know one another as best frenemies they can, at least with Titans danger in region.

Brazil – Brazilian Indian ( closest to Inuit ) & Orisha & Kami – Brazil – Proposed by AutoDefenestrate and Ben Linus

Brazil could be a very interesting place on a pantheon level. There may yet be a few of the native Gods around. Bahia on the other hand is called out in the book as having some vibrantly Afro-Brazilian versions of the Orisha. Meanwhile there are some huge enclaves of ethnically Japanese Brazilians, many either Buddhist or Shinto, in regions further north. I'm not sure that they would necessarily be against each other, but it's an interesting mix.

Southern Asia – Devas & Yazata – India & Pakistan – Proposed by Ben Linus and FallenEco
    Notice: With social tensions between India and Pakistan thread carefully on this religious matters.

Mithraism and a more Zoroastrian version of Manichaeanism expanded to India. Moreover some strands of Hinduism believe that Zoroastrian entities are gods in their own rival pantheon of Indian. So the conflict is not absurd since it is established that it is pre-Islamic and not that it came with the Muslims.

Tibet – Bön & Palas ( the saints and devils of Buddhism ) & Shen – Tibet – Proposed by ​No One of Consequence and Sacerdos

The Bön deities conflicting with the Buddhist deities conflicting with the Shen. Traditional issues with the Mongols and Hindu Nepal for bonus stress.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-06-2019, 10:56 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

The Baltic Pantheon has no say in this?

Comment

Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post
      The Baltic Pantheon has no say in this?
      Did not know there was one, officially in setting. When looking like this - there is no place on Earth where some other Pantheon will not be intermingling anywhere. You can have Devas only from one worshiping emigrant in any place on World, don't we? I'm here wanted to point main, official Pantheons interactions in specific places to run.
      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-04-2019, 04:53 PM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Did not know there was one, officially in setting. When looking like this - there is no place on Earth where some other Pantheon will not be intermingling anywhere. You can have Devas only from one worshiping emigrant in any place on World, don't we?
        Didn't know there was a Slavic Pantheon officially in-setting already. We can have whatever Pantheons we want and make for ourselves, and I think when discussing issues like these, we'd do good to pay attention to the diversity rather than gloss over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post
          Didn't know there was a Slavic Pantheon officially in-setting already.
          Slavic Pantheon was in 1E Companion and is announced in Scion 2E Demigod. But you are right - I will point Baltic as third actor in opening post.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

It seems to me more of a solution than a problem. It is easier to justify action from different pantheons in the same group of players.

Comment

The Baltic pantheon (Dievai, I believe) are absolutely a thing. They haven't been acknowledged or addressed in any official capacity as of yet, and, I hate to be pessimistic here, but they probably won't be. That being said, all myths are true by itself confirms their existence, and I could see them being a very good candidate for a homebrew write-up. So it's definitely best not to ignore their presence.

On the subject of territories with more than one claim to them, however, I have a question aimed at Watcher and Sacerdos, concerning their Zemis write-up. What kind of relationship do the Zemis have with the Loa? Also, unrelated to the topic at hand, but what are the Zemis' overall, collective, demeanor as a group? On a scale of Shiunesh to Abosom, are they more generally malicious or benevolent? I know very little about the Zemis, and I'm really curious about them.

Comment

I don't think we see much in the way of published material on this kind of thing.
                Seriously just imagine the potential sh*storm over the Deva/Yazata conflict as a setting. Pakistan and India have a...unpleasant history and draging in deities into into (more so than in our world) is likely to upset a lot of people.

Tying other such conflicts (such as the aforementioned Baltic Region) are marginally less 'dangerous' depending on the era (the further back, less blowback). So tread lightly.

It should be fine if you A) know (and check with) your group, B) be careful with how things are presented and C) be smart about it.

You probably already knew that, but things that go without saying have a tendency to bite some poor sod in the rear, so I said it.

Now stupid question, which Æsir/Bogi conflict in the Baltics did you have in mind?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Brazil could be a very interesting place on a pantheon level. It's not quite West enough to really touch any ancient Aztec lands, but one supposes that there may yet be a few of the native Gods around. Bahia on the other hand is called out in the book as having some vibrantly Afro-Brazilian versions of the Orixa. Meanwhile there are some huge enclaves of ethnically Japanese Brazilians, many either Buddhist or Shinto, in regions further north. I'm not sure that they would necessarily be against each other, but it's an interesting mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post
                    It seems to me more of a solution than a problem. It is easier to justify action from different pantheons in the same group of players.
                    Yes, it's a reason I pointed it in the first place. With particular regions intermixing Pantheons we at least have reason for characters of two or more Pantheons in one area - AND characters can work as 'peace keeping group', trying to take the tension off from Gods factions. Story potential.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                      I don't think we see much in the way of published material on this kind of thing.
                      That's why we have fans topics on forum.

Seriously just imagine the potential sh*storm over the Deva/Yazata conflict as a setting. Pakistan and India have a...unpleasant history and draging in deities into into (more so than in our world) is likely to upset a lot of people.
                      I can see that. ( Seen Doctor Who episode on India-Pakistan matter lately. ) I'm just curious why Yazata are equated with Muslims in Southern Asia? Muslims are Monoteists, right? There is nothing I see particulary Yazata about them. They can 'second-worship' any other Pantheon.

Now stupid question, which Æsir/Bogi conflict in the Baltics did you have in mind?
                      Any, really. I just point good place for 'here we have history of Aesir / Bogi cultures interactions on large scale so Pantheons in area are logical to be here and interact with themselves'. It's more a Storyguide pointing 'when you look for using Aesir & Bogi, look maybe into Baltic Region'.
                      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-05-2019, 01:08 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by AutoDefenestrate View Post
                        Brazil could be a very interesting place on a pantheon level. (And rest of text )
                        Sooo...

Brazil - Brazilian Indian ( closest to Inuit ) & Orisha & Kami

You say then?

EDIT: Fixed because Ben Linus post from below.
                        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-05-2019, 05:37 AM.

LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Sooo...

Brazil - Teotel & Orisha & Kami

You say then?

Our Indian Gods do not resemble any concept of the Teotel pantheon. They do not function as city gods with different names. They are more like the Inuit Gods if they pick up some pantheon that already exists in the game, without of course the whole thing about the cold.

Comment

And I believe that the Sebastianist sect should be represented in some way. They were relatively popular throughout the Northeast and had fans in Rio de Janeiro.

They ruled entire cities and made sacrifices of human blood to remove the charm that prevented the true king from returning, and his people should be prepared with the misery, hardship, violence, oppression and death to receive the Kingdom (in the chosen city in that world) where all will be rich, beautiful, happy, healthy and will escape the fate of Oca Caetana (Death) and Ounce of Destiny and the Ounce of the Sertão.

In Pedra Bonita in Recife they killed 50 people.

Comment

I can see that. ( Seen Doctor Who episode on India-Pakistan matter lately. ) I'm just curious why Yazata are equated with Muslims in Southern Asia? Muslims are Monoteists, right? There is nothing I see particulary Yazata about them. They can 'second-worship' any other Pantheon.
                              I did not say they were. Please do not put words in my mouth.

I am aware the Yazata are more closely associated with with Zoroastrianism, not Islam. I am also under the impression that thefewas conflict (complete with purges) between those two faiths in the past. Let's just not, ok?

The Yazata are 'just' the closest pantheon geographical to the region that has a canonnical write up, with the historical conflict between them as the icing on the cake. Linking the very real life issues to such 'divine' baggage is something I'd like to avoid but I thought it would be a useful touchstone in regards to the can of worms being opened.

Much like a game of set in the Crusades where G*d is helping both sides slaughter each other might be in poor taste if handled carelessly.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Working...
                              X