[2E] New Purviews

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] New Purviews

So after reading the Scion 2E Hero, I found I miss some parts of Gods in Pantheons shown. And as we are A LOT of time till 2E Demigod, I think some fan made Purviews are in order. I dearly miss those…

Knowledge

Gods of Knowledge are popular in all major Pantheons and it’s weird there isn’t Purview of it. It would probably have Boons based on automatic Success on Mental rolls? ( In CoD it would be simply Mental Skills, but in Storypath system Skills are not tied to any particular Arena, so connecting to Mental Attributes. )

Example Gods: Odin ( Aesir ), Thoth ( Djehuty - Netjar ), Ogma ( Tuatha De Danann )

Magic

I’ve missed the Purview of Magic, as for some deities it’s very important title for each of them. Thing is, as general Marvels mechanics just leaves this Purview useless, as ANY God can make ANY Marvel from their Purview. :/ I was hoping for making Boon like emulating other Purviews Boons by extensive rituals or to counter other Boons – but with Marvels mechanics it’s just loose sense, in my POV. Maybe you have some way to put Magic as special Purview?

Example Gods: Odin ( Aesir ), Thoth ( Djehuty - Netjar ), Veles ( Bogi )
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-10-2019, 11:35 PM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

1E tried a magic purview. It didn’t work because there’s no definition to designate “magic” from other miracles one can evoke at will.

As it stands most PSPs are their corresponding culture’s view of “magic”. Odin has more in the way of Wyrd Boons than other members of his Pantheon, Aset has more in the way of Heku Boons, etc.

That and combining any given flashy Marvel with their Pantheon Motif.

Most of the gods of magic you are talking about have their mental effects supported by the Sage Calling.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
      Magic

I’ve missed the Purview of Magic, as for some deities it’s very important title for each of them. Thing is, as general Marvels mechanics just leaves this Purview useless, as ANY God can make ANY Marvel from their Purview. :/ I was hoping for making Boon like emulating other Purviews Boons by extensive rituals or to counter other Boons – but with Marvels mechanics it’s just loose sense, in my POV. Maybe you have some way to put Magic as special Purview?

Example Gods: Odin ( Aesir ), Thoth ( Djehuty - Netjar ), Veles ( Bogi )
      Yeah, as Glamour says, the problem with a Magic Purview is that you don't need a Magic Purview, you need several hundred. There is no consistent idea of what 'magic' is from Pantheon to Pantheon, it is fundamentally defined by that specific cultural group. The methods of magic used by the different Pantheons are so fundamentally different, and do different things that it cannot easily be made into a single Purview.

However, Pantheon Specific Purviews tend to be the realm of these special culturally specific areas of magic. The Norse PsP, Wyrd, is explicitly modeled after Seiðr as well as the pop-culture idea of runes having magical powers, and the Norse concept of an inexorable Fate. The Netjer PsP is similarly an expression of how the Egyptians understood 'magic' to work, and thus it is fundamentally different from how the Aesir and Vanir do it. Similarly with the Túatha Dé Danann PsP.

The idea of extensive rituals for magical purposes tends to be common, but how these work is so vastly different they cannot easily be expressed by the same Purview. For instance, a Glam Dicenn from Ireland and ceremonial invocation of a Kami in order to move them to a different shrine are so different they may as well be chairs and clouds. Once again, both of them are best represented by both Pantheon's PsP.

The idea of 'counter magic' is not something shared by all cultures, and would not be at hope in most of the Pantheons of the world as well, that is the realm of very modern ideas. Sure, there are some counter-magic knives found for the Ashanti, but they're counter-magic because you stab them through the mouths of witches during judgements and executions so they are unable to speak as their mouth is full of knife and blood. Not really like a counter-spell, just blocking a Motif through a physical action.

This really is just a problem of translation. 'Magic' is a word that creates false equivalencies. The similarities between two Pantheon's 'Magic' systems very frequently is only that we describe it as 'Magic' in English as they will have different functions, methods, purposes, social roles, social results, theological situations, implementations, visual appearances, literally everything about them will be different asides from the very basic idea that we call it 'magic' in English. Thoth and Odin both are doing wildly different things that are in no way comparable asides from the English speaking world deciding they would use the same word for both.
      Last edited by Watcher; 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
      The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire, The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples, The Sgā’na Qeda’s: the Pantheon of the Haida First Nation, The Abosom: The Pantheon of the Ashanti, Lebor Óe In Dea: an Expansion for the Túatha Dé Danann.

Comment

As Glamourweaver already mention the archetype of knowledge seeker/giver is well represented in the Sage calling, even the Hunter calling can work in the "hunt for knowledge" sense.

As for knowledge in a more elemental context more fitting for a purview ... hm, this is tentative so far but i could see someone taking the Artistry purview with a Teaching specialization.

Currently running: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 2year old daughter and a newborn son.

Comment

Our group has drafted up a few purveiws. We are running a twisted version of Scion where we are playing VTM vampires in the same world. Instead of disciplines vampires just got purveiws. I don't have those write ups on me but the big ones where
          Pestilence - calling down plagues and the like, kinda an anti health
          Dreams (we also reworked darkness as we don't like them being combined as they are)
          Mind - wanted to cover mind reading and mental manipulation somewhere
          Flesh - covers flesh warping and making flesh golems
          Mirrors/ reflections
          And lastly Dominion for controlling the land

Some have a distinct vampire bent, but some we feel could be applied to other gods on demand.

Find my Homebrew so far here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
          So far its Demon Merits, Vampire 1e to 2e ports and a Knowledge collection mechanic for the Ordo Dracul!

Comment

Health already covers Pestilence within itself - it's basically just half of the Health purview.

But then, if you're going for VTM vampires, reflecting real religious ideas isn't really on the table much anyway.

As for Knowledge: can you present ideas of what Knowledge marvels might look like and do that aren't already covered by Sage, yeah?

Comment

Just to note, they’re going to cover custom purview building (at least at the Hero level) in the Companion. Some are likely just a matter of combing aspects of different Purviews: for example a “Desert” Purview might combine the negative halves of Fertility and Prosperity, with some very limited applications of Sky.

Comment

To echo others... Neither of these Purviews are in any way necessary. "Knowledge" - That's a Calling. You're thinking of the Sage Calling. It has Knacks. They're awesome. Seriously, don't disregard Knacks. The Sage Calling covers literally all your needs for "I Am A Smarty". It's like when I saw people asking why there wasn't a "I'm strong enough to solo an army" Boon in War. That's a Knack, you're not demonstrating a mythic connection with war and armies by beating them all up, you're a Warrior using a Knack.

As for Magic, Watcher and Glamour have said it with many words. To put it in a shorter format: You have Marvels and Pantheon Motifs to represent cultural outlooks on magic, which shockingly is not as unified as many RPGs would like to say it is. If you MUST make a Magic Purview it would only realistically be through powers that improve Marvels, and it's probably not something I'd allow at my table without a good reason.

Specifically, a good reason that DOESN'T sound like the player is trying to be a total munchkin.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I mean he started off saying Marvels make the presence of a Magic purview unnecessary. That should have been the end of it right there.

Comment

I think about putting PsP in particular God's preview then, with speciality (Magic).

My stuff for Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Pantheon Specific Purviews are automatically in a God's purview and as said they already represent the magic of the culture connected.

So that's literally how the game already works.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrythlind View Post
                        Pantheon Specific Purviews are automatically in a God's purview and as said they already represent the magic of the culture connected.

So that's literally how the game already works.
                        And the moral, kids, is RTFM.

Even a specialty of Magic is unnecessary. The God in question just weaves many Marvels
                        Last edited by Kyman201; 01-13-2019, 02:37 AM.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Whether or not a Knowledge purview is covered by the Sage calling, the lack of it got me thinking. Suppose there used to be a Primordial of Knowledge but for some reason, it retracted the knowledge of its own existence. No one, mortal or divine, remembers the Primordial used to be a thing. There may be a few hints about it that didn’t get cleaned up when the Primordial withdrew, but people just say, “Look how primitive that culture was! They believed there was actually a Knowledge Purview, when it was just the Sage calling.” (Yes, I know people in the World don’t literally talk about Purviews and Callings, but you know what I mean.)

Of course, the question is why the Primordial withdrew. What Knowledge did it have that made it say, “I have to erase myself from the World”? And what slip-ups did it make that will allow a band of Scions to follow a trail of bread crumbs and learn the truth? Who else knows what’s going on, and what will they do to prevent other people from gaining such precious Knowledge? What will change if the Primordial’s deception is discovered? And what does it do to a Primordial of Knowledge if it acts against itself to *destroy* knowledge?

I’m now thinking that for my campaign, Atlantis relied on Knowledge to such an extent that when the Primordial withdrew, everything fell to pieces. So the trail of bread crumbs may start with my players finding themselves in Atlantis, and discovering some strange anomalies. One way or another, this is going to turn into a major story arc for my group. —Jim Gardner

Comment

Originally posted by jagardner View Post
                            (Yes, I know people in the World don’t literally talk about Purviews and Callings, but you know what I mean.)
                            I really don't.

Like, the idea of an Ancient Primordial withdrawing from even the Overworld and takings a great deal of knowledge with it is an interesting one, certainly, but there's no reason to tie it into any kind of Knowledge Purview. Especially as Primordials can have Callings. In fact, several do, such as Kitchi Manitou. Not EVERYTHING needs to be a Purview.

Comment

I’m not completely opposed to a knowedge Purview. Obviously Purviews and Callings can overlap (Deception and Trickster, Journeys and Liminal, Health and Healer). But i’m going to need example Boons and Marvels that the Knowledge Purview can accomplish that are beyond the Sage Calling and within the role of knowledge Gods.

Comment

Working...
                              X