Scion Mythos officially

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scion Mythos officially

On Mid-Winter Pathcast, it was announced that Onyx Path will create Scion: Masks of Mythos book - Cthulhu Mythos setting for the The World of Scion.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-23-2019, 09:20 AM.

My stuff for Scion 2E, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Welll, that brings me back. Wish I could be part of that, not gonna lie.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Hmmm... I wonder if they’ll be treated like a playable Pantheon, or just as Titan/Primordial threats the mythic pantheons try to hold the world of humanity up against. Because it’s not like most of them care enough about humanity to play the role of divine patron to a Scion.k

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        Hmmm... I wonder if they’ll be treated like a playable Pantheon, or just as Titan/Primordial threats the mythic pantheons try to hold the world of humanity up against. Because it’s not like most of them care enough about humanity to play the role of divine patron to a Scion.k
        Presented as a pantheon, with Scions of their own, per the podcast. How they'll interact with the others is yet to be seen.

It'll be for a modern-day setting. They'll be working with Chris Spivey, who did Harlem Unbound, and the book'll be engaging with the racism of the Mythos.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

They were described as a pantheon gone bad (or starting bad, as the case may be)

Comment

A Cthulhu Mythos book announced this early into 2e is a deeply confusing thing to me. Also kind of... weird. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but it's an unexpected and somewhat disappointing pitch, despite the pop culture appeal. I added more extensive thoughts in the blog comments.

Comment

Originally posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
              A Cthulhu Mythos book announced this early into 2e is a deeply confusing thing to me. Also kind of... weird. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but it's an unexpected and somewhat disappointing pitch, despite the pop culture appeal. I added more extensive thoughts in the blog comments.
              I assume how early it is is the point - they want to show a range of what Scion can be while the core World setting is also preceding (different people at the helms mean one doesn’t slow down the other).

That said, the whole thing that Scion is mechanically built around is emulating epic hero myths - and that’s not what Lovecraft narratives are.

To say nothing of why beings that fundamentally don’t care about humanity at all (save Nyarlathahotep) would empower Scions and involve themselves in the conflicts of humanity’s gods... unless the gods of humanity are Derleth’s Elder Gods who stand against the Outer Gods and Great Old Ones, but of course those were always contrary to Lovecraft’s own themes of a uncaring mad universe.
              Last edited by glamourweaver; 01-11-2019, 11:58 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

About the only way I can really see this working is to flip the bird to Lovecraft himself and go all in on Ruthanna Emrys' take on the mythos, with the Deep Ones and similar Mythos beings as persecuted minorities due to both racial and religious prejudice.
                Last edited by unseenlibrarian; 01-11-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I have spoken on this at length why this is distressing in the Discord, and all I will repeat here is I am intensely worried as this goes against what Neall has promised us Scion 2e would be about.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
                  The Šiuneš, the Pantheon of the Hittite Empire.
                  The Enduri: the Pantheon of the Manchu Peoples.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I assume how early it is is the point - they want to show a range of what Scion can be while the core World setting is also preceding (different people at the helms mean one doesn’t slow down the other).

That said, the whole thing that Scion is mechanically built around is emulating epic hero myths - and that’s not what Lovecraft narratives are.

To say nothing of why beings that fundamentally don’t care about humanity at all (save Nyarlathahotep) would empower Scions and involve themselves in the conflicts of humanity’s gods... unless the gods of humanity are Derleth’s Elder Gods who stand against the Outer Gods and Great Old Ones, but of course those were always contrary to Lovecraft’s own themes of a uncaring mad universe.
                    See that last part is what gets me. The uncaring nature and existential threat posed by the Great Old Ones just screams Titan to me, and the source material makes it clear that being related to them makes one kind of monstrous ...

Didn't Neall mention something about Titan Callings and Knacks with deformities?

This might be a a Titan book! With playable Titanspawn/Titanborn!

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

This is a bad idea, and a dumb one.The Cthulhu Mythos doesn't really fit into what Scion's doing in any way, shape, or form. Maybe as a group of THINGS that some of the other Pantheons look at and go "Titans... I think?"

Like, even with the stuff Lovecraft wrote, a big part of it was that the Elder Gods he wrote about were largely indifferent to humanity. Part of the thing in Scion is that Gods are, in some way, tied to humanity. They use them to help define themselves.

The Elder Gods of the Cthulhu Mythos don't care. They're not even antagonistic. They barely notice us. It doesn't quite GEL with how Gods work in Scion.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Cthulhu mythos don't belong in the scion universe, they're not myth, they're flat fiction invented in the 20th century. Narratively speaking, the inherent assumptions of Lovecraft's setting just flat don't work in Scion as there are tons of similarly cosmic creatures around that people quite easily wrap their heads around. I mean why would Cthulhu, who is essentially an alien high priest, drive you to insanity and yet you are able to comprehend the idea of Inari just fine? Lots of the gods and pantheons are infinitely more layered and counter-intuitive to perceived reality than any of Lovecraft's stuff. For another matter, the mechanics of storypath just flat do not support the cosmic horror aspect of Lovecraft's mythos. Characters are far too competent and powerful and are often as eldritch as any Lovecraftian entity.

A cthulhu book of creatures from various pantheons that may have inspired Lovecraft's writings, maybe, but as a full pantheon it seems offensive to the real world cultures included.

Comment

I was enthused when I heard this on the podcast. I'm interested to see their take on it. Some people here are forgetting that there's an Atlantean (sp) pantheon. Those gods are no more or less fictional than the Cthulhu mythos. I believe Eddy said in the podcast that they wanted to explore a "bad pantheon" without using a real world religion and drawing controversy for doing it.

As for why it's been announced so early, I think it's because these books take so long to come out that by the time we get it it won't be early anymore.
                          Last edited by karpomatic; 01-12-2019, 08:45 AM.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_485_1538393298974_786[/ATTACH]

Comment

I don't know, people. I know far too much about Lovecraft themes and I can see where the doubts comes from, but I'm confident that if the developers decided to announce this book they have something solid and different to build it upon. Something that goes further than picking up Cthulhu and dropping it screaming from the sky into the Scion setting.

I think there's a passage we can't possibly know about right now that will make things interesting and not too heretical at the very least.

Also, and here I'll be brief because I'd write for hours if I don't, not all works featuring the Mythos have to play the Cosmic Horror aspect absolutely straight to have a reason to be. It's been 100 years. Lovecraft's dead, he was ok with people having fun with his works even when alive and, I'm saying this as someone that owes a lot to him, he can also go fuck himself for several good reasons. I regularly visit his tomb, bring flowers and pay homage to it, but the author is dead.

That stuff has become part of the popular culture enough to allow different takes. We can have Ligotti, Laird Barron and Junji Ito just as we can have Ruthanna Emrys, Jordan Peele, Matt Ruff and Edgar Cantero (Stephen King just watches from the side, doing his thing). True Detective, IT, Hellboy and Bloodborne are all good for different reasons and with different styles.

Scion has all the tools it needs to make something decent with the Mythos, though I admit I have no idea how the final result will look.

Just my two cents about it, but I think the writers can do it and make a good work.
                            Last edited by Cinder; 01-12-2019, 11:01 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

The announcement of this book is equal parts distressing and baffling to me. I was hoping with the write up of the Atlanteans would have been the end of the fictional Pantheons, but this just went form bad to so so much worse. There are so many Pantheons out there that deserve a write up, so many cool Gods and Myths and People that would love to share them, so many nooks and crannies of the world yet to be explored... and we get this?

Comment

Working...
                              X